Wrong color roof installed!

After much research on roofing companies in my area and on shingle manufacturers, I hired a company to install CertainTeed Landmark in Weathered Wood (non-MaxDef) on my home. The actual samples I was shown and the sample board showed a shingle with a darker brown overall color to it.

Unfortunately, what they installed was a much lighter and gray color shingle that does not match my brick or siding at all. The roofing company says it’s Weathered Wood, and the manufacturer took a sample from the roof and says it’s within specifications, just that I must have been shown an older sample that they don’t make any longer. It’s really not even close - brown vs gray. I’d post a pic but it won’t allow me to link.

So far no one has owned up to their mistake and offered to make it right. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It’s frustrating to do so much homework, then in the end the companies screw up.

Thanks.

I know this is of no help to you at this point but many times the color on shingle on the sample board looks much different once it is installed on a whole house. Its cause on the sample board you are seeing such a small piece of a multi color shingle. I like to give my customers the address of houses with the exact color they are interested in, that way they know for sure what their roof will look like. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you selected weathered wood and that’s what they installed I don’t think you can do much other than pay someone to tear it off and replace it with a new color.

twicsy.com/i/4Zxahc

I didn’t install this roof but as you can see the CertainTeed weathered wood has shades of both brown and grey. The sample you looked at may have been on the brown side leading you to believe the whole roof would be more of a brown color.

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=496&image_id=1865

Unfortunately it’s not a case of the sold roofing having brown and gray, it’s totally different.

Did you see the shingle wrappers?

Certainteed’s version of weathered wood has a good deal more brown in it than the other manufacturers.

They “might” have used a different brand in the color weathered wood?

It’s definitely CertainTeed, says so on the shingle itself. The Saint-Gobain representative took a sample off my roof and said it’s within their specifications, and that they must have sold me on an old sample. Regardless, it’s wrong. No one is owning up at this point.

I wouldn’t really except either the roofer or the manufacturer to “own up” to anything. If you asked for weathered wood and you got weathered wood they are both gonna claim to have held up their end of the deal. The being sold on a old sample thing really doesn’t add up to me either, I am sure the shingle color has varied a slight bit over the years but I in my 10 years of roofing I have installed tons of certainteed weather wood and I always remember it being pretty much the same color. Do you have any access to the sample they showed you when you agreed to the roof?

Weathered Wood is tough. We’ve installed it on houses across the street from each other. If I hadn’t installed the roofs, I swear I would have bet money they weren’t the same shingle. It’s almost like that color of shingle is a chameleon and changes slightly to adapt to the house color.

It doesn’t sound like the contractor did anything wrong here. It’s unfortunate you’re not happy with the result but at the end of the day, you made the choice. Certainteed Landmark Weathered Wood is one of the popular and high quality shingles on the market. Assuming it was installed correctly, it will serve you well. I have to be blunt here. We have put Weathered Wood or Driftwood on hundreds of roofs. There were numerous times it wouldn’t have been my number 1 personal preference, however, I can’t ever recall a time it looked hideous.

Yes, I have one of the two samples. The manufacturer is still in possession of my other sample after I requested it back over a week ago.
I will be blunt here as well. Did you see the photo? It’s not the same. Not even close. The right thing to do is own up to the mistake and re-roof at no charge with apologies. Otherwise a judge decides.

[quote=“Daventry”]Yes, I have one of the two samples. The manufacturer is still in possession of my other sample after I requested it back over a week ago.
I will be blunt here as well. Did you see the photo? It’s not the same. Not even close. The right thing to do is own up to the mistake and re-roof at no charge with apologies. Otherwise a judge decides.[/quote]

A shingle sample is not necessarily representative of what an entire roof will look like.

With the way shingles are blended nowadays you could easily get a sample that shows more of the background colors than the dominant color.

I feel for you that you don’t like the color of your roof but if you chose Weathered wood and that was what was installed you have no gripe.

How bad get it be, there isn’t that much difference in the color Weathered wood between brands to make a difference anyway.

You will probably have better luck going after them for improper installation.

Islandroofing, that pic is no where near the Certainteed Weather wood I put on last week. Ours (up here in Canada) are more of a grey tone than brown. I would say the ones we get are more like the samples Daventry posted. Certainteed Landmark is the only “Weathered Wood” colour that we use charcoal/grey flashing on, all other brands (GAF, Pabco) of weather wood get brown flashing.

On the flip side, if you asked for Certainteed Landmark Weathered Wood and you were sold Certainteed Landmark Weathered Wood, then you got what you asked for. Although, there is a huge difference in the Max Def Weathered Wood.

Regular
http://www.certainteed.com/images/swatch/large/lmweatheredwoodpeach.jpg
Max Def
http://www.certainteed.com/images/swatch/large/LM-MaxDefWeatheredWood.jpg

Why don’t you go to a couple of different vendors of Certainteed in your area and buy a bundle of the Landmark Weathered Wood at each? Take a shingle from each, compare to each other and to what is on your roof.

Looking at the picture in the gallery you posted, I assume the top one is what is on your roof and the bottom one is the sample? If you have a valid legal matter, I think it would be with Certainteed, not the Contractor.

> if you asked for Certainteed Landmark Weathered Wood and you were sold Certainteed Landmark Weathered Wood, then you got what you asked for

This seems to be a recurring theme. However, whatever name the manufacturer or roofer / seller / whoever puts on a product, does not matter, if the product is not as advertised, as clearly shown by the photo. Slight variations between batches are understandable, but brown vs gray is not. There was no warning of a possible gray outcome. In fact I met at length with two of the roofer representatives and put the Weathered Wood shingles they were selling against my siding and brick and they agreed it would look great. They knew it had to match and gray was not acceptable - I already rejected all the other options that had gray in them.

I am sorry you are unhappy with the roof but I agree with Authentic Dad that your issue should be with Certainteed, not the roofer. Yes, I know their salesmen agreed with you that brown shingles would look great with your siding but they probably would have said the same thing if you asked their opinion about green shingles on your purple house with orange shutters, its the whole “the customer knows best” thing. I honestly don’t remember a single time on this site when everyone defended the roofer (trust me, we don’t always just stick up for the roofer) that should say something about this situation. I would really just recommend just trying to stay on good terms with him and maybe you can work together trying to get some kind of satisfaction from Certainteed.

Sounds like the color you really wanted would be similar to Owens Corning “Teak” which is sometimes confused with weathered wood but the dominant color in it is brown.

I agree with what AD said about weathered wood. It is the most neutral and most popular color on the market, every manufacturer has their own version of it. None of which are identical and it pretty much goes with most any house.

How about taking a pic of the house from the front so we can see what it looks like?

Then maybe we could be of more assistance to you!

Just asking, if they gave you an option to replace the roof with another color, have you found a color close to the one you originally choose? Only other decent brands left are OC and GAF and their weatherwoods look similar to the color you don’t like.

Black

A good choice. I think there are only 7 different shades of black. What’s the worst that could happen?

:lol:

Exactly. I should of just said “Black” and been happy with whatever they decided for me.