Working under the table

why when a business license is easier to get then a drivers liscense?
Does anybody here work under the table. Dont worry i wont tell.

you were the only one here doing it as far as i know,although some areas don`t require one

itis an act of low lifes.non-professional roofers.what gets me is the ones who do it…are the biggest whinners when they lose jobs.

at the very least :wink:

Boomshakalaka, roofboss!

I dont work under the table. Are you?

People don’t work for cash because they can’t afford a business license, they do it to avoid having to pay astronomical insurance/comp rates and taxes.

cash is a good thing,helps with cash flow instead of waiting for checks to clear :wink:

I would have to agree that people are working under the table to avoid comp and insurance comp mainly. there are 30 roofing companies here and less there 1/3 are comp and bonded.

oN THE OTHER HAND, IF EVERYBODY WAS PROPERLY INSURED, THOSE RATES WOULD BE NORMAL, A COST OF DOING BUSINESS. iNSTEAD, WE HAVE TO SOUND LIKE SOUR GFRAPES WHEN WE EXPLAIN THAT WE ARE PROPERLY INSURED.

hECK, EVEN THE MATRIARCH OF MY WIFE’S FAMILY, WHO HAS BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR OVER 60 YEARS, DID NOT BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE WOULD ACTUALLY DO THIS…TOO RISKY SHE SAID…WHAT TO DO? wHAT TO DO?

BTW, SHE HAD AN ILLEGAL MEXICAN CREW DO HER ROOF WHEN I WAS “TOO HIGH” WTF?

“oN THE OTHER HAND, IF EVERYBODY WAS PROPERLY INSURED, THOSE RATES WOULD BE NORMAL, A COST OF DOING BUSINESS.”

Insurance companys don’t have to make pay outs on the uninsured. The reason the roofing rates are so high is:

1. It’s a very dangerous job. (risk vs. reward)

2. All the roofing accident claims filed by employees of insured companys.

It’s the legal claims the insurance companys are paying out that are making the premiums insane.

Sure, but if all of the roofers were even carrying roofing insurance, instead mof painters or carpenters’ insurance (which the n coversm nothing), the rates would not be so high.

If they would crack those that dop it illegally, that would be a plus.

All I am saying is that if everybody had it, it would not be as expensive, as the costs would be spread over a larger group, but most roofers arent too smart, and they think it is better to sell low, and say screw the insurance. They PROBABLY will not have to show a certificate anyways, to the average homeowner.

“They PROBABLY will not have to show a certificate anyways, to the average homeowner.”

True but the building dept. sure does want one before they will give you a permit, heh.

[quote=“roofing buster”]
Does anybody here work under the table. Dont worry i wont tell.[/quote]

Lol like anyone here is going to admit that . :mrgreen:

So far in this forum you have to reply with perfect roof installations , Absolutely everything by specs and requirements .

Absolutely everything legal :

No one does anything crooked, No one urinates on the homeowners lawn , No one leaves a single nail in the lawn after clean up , Everyone uses all the safety gears required by OSHA , No one listens to music on the roof , No one says profanities on the job , No one has even ever tought of any of this , No one charges too much , Everyone goes on the roof with full uniform and company logos , No ones truck leaks oil , Etc.

I just read and dont reply anymore .

I have worked inthe past for many contractors with the same talk and when i went into management they have their supervisors do this things and they turn the other way .

At least they are not doing it … right ???

:wink:

I personally like the smell of cash better than a check but that don’t mean I take cash over check!!!

“…Everyone uses all the safety gears required by OSHA…”

You kind of have to for high profile jobs but not for your average residential. OSHA is the biggest organazation of retards ever assembled. The last thing our industry needs are a bunch of office people force feeding us what they consider to be “safe”. I have never and will never abide by all their guidelines because to do so means never making a dime on a residential roof. It’s much less of a hurt on your wallet if you’re doing 500 squares of EPDM than a 30 square residential roof. OSHA is a bunch of nitwits IMO…never carry anything up a ladder indeed.

Oh and I listen to the radio on the roof, hell I used to be stoned all day on the roof. I’ve left nails in driveways, ripped off shingles when I wasn’t paid on time and ocassionaly impregnated cats of customers I didn’t like. But I have always, and I mean always had the utmost integrity in every job I have ever had, including roofing. Your roof will be tight when I leave, even if your cat is not!

WTF! :mrgreen:

Cool . Nice to see there are some down to earth talks here still .

I do agree on the point of the illegal stuff hurts legit companies and that almost 80% of the requirements in general are a real joke . And a HUGE percentage of roofers i know have some kind of addiction which they seem to keep up even up on the roof and i am strongly against it for safety reasons mainly.

But as far as the " I would never …" …

I dunno if they are really honest :roll:

[quote=“QRFL”]Cool . Nice to see there are some down to earth talks here still .

I do agree on the point of the illegal stuff hurts legit companies and that almost 80% of the requirements in general are a real joke . And a HUGE percentage of roofers i know have some kind of addiction which they seem to keep up even up on the roof and i am strongly against it for safety reasons mainly.

But as far as the " I would never …" …

I dunno if they are really honest :roll:[/quote]

Well up here the shady roofer that are making a bad name for the bigger companys are actually helping the legit companys out. In this industry there is alot of shady contractors that make it hard for the smaller companys. But if all paper work and all is done right the legit guys can go far.

obviously i would prefer cash over a check because i dont have to wait up to 10 days for it to clear…however…my price is $x.xx either way…cash, check or finance. you cant hide from uncle sam (or in busters case aunt flo)…he sees all. hell, he’s probably reading this.