Why no call backs?!

I am not saying that anyone on this forum does this, but I am wondering why I can’t seem to get most roofers to call me back? I have a very curved barn roof which had asphalt shingles flying off after 4 years. I was interested in different and reasonably priced products and the good people of this forum recommended Certainteed Flintlastic and Sarnafil. Well, I couldn’t get a Flintlastic contractor to call me back (I called many) and the Sarnafil rep came by over a month ago, talked about all these wonderful solutions, asked me to give him 2 weeks to set it up, and now won’t return phone calls or emails! Sarnafil forces you to go through the rep, they will not give you a contractor list. This is frusterating. Since I need my barn roofed before winter, I am now in the helpless position of being forced to go with the contractor who did call me back who will only install asphalt shingles again. He is not the same contractor who installed the first round, but as you might expect, I am nervous about asphalt because of our first experience. But, now, I have no choice.

Hi,

You have a choice. Fix the shingles that are blown off. You just do not like the choices you have.

Snarfil is set up for commercial roofs. So they may not have a contractor in your area that will do that sort of job. Your roof will not fall into the scope of work most roofing contractors do.

So you can demand that the roof gets done this year. Finding a roofing contractor that can do the roof you have effiecently, may take some time.

So if you pick anyone that says he will do your roof and you get burned, do not blame roofing contractors in general. Your impatience is already making you dissatisfied with the work. Because you are getting shingles.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

You have a choice. Fix the shingles that are blown off. You just do not like the choices you have.

Snarfil is set up for commercial roofs. So they may not have a contractor in your area that will do that sort of job. Your roof will not fall into the scope of work most roofing contractors do.

So you can demand that the roof gets done this year. Finding a roofing contractor that can do the roof you have effiecently, may take some time.

So if you pick anyone that says he will do your roof and you get burned, do not blame roofing contractors in general. Your impatience is already making you dissatisfied with the work. Because you are getting shingles.[/quote]

That is wisdom… well said.

You have to find the person first
Then you find the system.
In roofing, If you decide first on the exact system and then try to find the person… you are setting yourself up for nothing but disappointment.

While I appreciate and respect your experience and expertise, I should qualify that I have been trying to find a roofer and/or a system for 8 months. Based on my experience, this does not describe me as “impatient.” I will go with the ONLY contractor who has responded to me and is willing to do the job. I should also clarify that my search of Sarnafil and Flintlastic has only been over the past 2 months, the previous 6 was calling about traditional asphalt. I understand that people who work in the industry might feel that I have options, but after 8 months of serious effort, I can tell you, my options are

1. let my barn roof go a season with 8 foot bare spots
  2. to have it replaced with the only contractor that will do the work.
    I understand that this is not the forum to complain about roofing contractors so I understand your defensive response, but I can honestly say, the 20+ contractors that I have dealt with have not had the professionalism to call me back (except for 1). And while I sound annoyed here, I have been nothing but kind and professional in my dealings with them, all I expected was the same in return.

So take my experience as either a pat on the back that you are better, or ignore my experience as someone who is impatient and does not matter, it’s up to you.

The majority (not all) of the roofers in this industry are drunks and crooks. Even the good roofers arent the best business men.

Its hard for some guys to do the business end and still do the work.

This industry is one of the top complaints to the better business buruea, and theer is an 85% turnover rate everey 3 years in companies.

[quote=“marshall exteriors”]The majority (not all) of the roofers in this industry are drunks and crooks. Even the good roofers arent the best business men.

Its hard for some guys to do the business end and still do the work.

This industry is one of the top complaints to the better business buruea, and there is an 85% turnover rate everey 3 years in companies.[/quote]

Hi,

My post was not defensive. It was to help you. Impatient was not a dig. Your frustation may be clouding your judgment, this is very understandable.

In your original topic you ruled out fixing the roof. That was why I restated that option.

From September on is absolutly the worst time of the year to get unusual work done. September to the end of the year is our busiest time of the year.

Did you look into metal roof? I’ve had tin on my barn for many years with no problems
If you decide to repair the shingles get some one like lefty who knows how to do it right. I’m not a roofer but I’d guess there are ways to keep shingles from blowing off if you are in a strong wind area?
These guys here have helped me a lot as I work thru my roofing adventure, you ask the right questions and they will offer the right answers.
Regards, DaveB

Hi Dave,

He has a curved roof. Shingles are not the best solution. He is in a tough spot.

sanafil will most likley not warranty your resisdence. go for IB or fibertite. they are slightly cheaper than sarnafil and there will probably be more certified installers in your area.

Ona, Is your contractor using architect/laminate type shingles i assume?

If so, where your curved roof reaches the peak,
IT has a very low pitch to no pitch.

Regardless of whatever you think it would look like or how it would match up----

All the areas near the peak that has a pitch lower than 4/12(0 to 3/12) needs to have the flintlastic product or similar. They do make it in the same colors to match your shingles. Use the Self-adheared.(Edit and correction- I would torch down a layer of smooth modified and a layer of granulated torch down both with their own 12 year manufacture warranty.)

If you are just using 3-tab shingles, then use your flat roofing product for everything below a 3/12 pitch (0 to 2/12)

Yes, there are other options, but just slappin some “Ice and water sheild” down under those shingles there dont cut it for me.

I hope your roofer has addressed this issue or
You have not found your person.

If he didn’t discuss it with you and you have to bring it to their attention…
You have not found your person.

But if you told him to go ahead and do your roof then…You have found your person. :smiley:

Be happy. :slight_smile:

There are alternatives, seen this scenario in Euro, pls post pics…Aye

Thank you for all of your input and replies. I am now looking into the IB and Fibertite options. The roofer who has called me back is a good guy, but he is limited to asphalt shingles and I am not certain that I want to go in that direction again.

I appreciate the info that this is the busy time of year for roofing contractors as well. I thought that this would be the slow time… shows what I know. So, now I may make the decision to let the roof go over the winter and then spend the winter trying to get a contractor lined up with a roofing product of my choosing.

You were right, I did have more options.
http://www.roofing.com/images/default.jpg

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi Dave,

He has a curved roof. Shingles are not the best solution. He is in a tough spot.[/quote]

Hi Lefty, There is a house near me that has a curved roof and they used standing seam metal on it, looks like they made curved panels about 2 feet wide in a nice light blue/green color.
regards ,DaveB

What kind of pitch is the roof?
Also what is your decking material?
For lower pitch oddly shaped structures with a solid decking without alot of gaps you could use HydroStop or Seal-o-flex. I’ve used them both with some pretty nice results. Not sure if it applies to your situation.

Get a Standing-seam Metal roof system Quote, They are ideal for curved roofs, a little more costly, but the overall look and function would be nicer. Even would last as long if not longer. Some systems can even be installed with no fastener exposure. There are many options.

These roof systems can be designed to conform to you specific need. The color choices, nice. Before you decide look into it. The system would have to be ordered, but if you get a quote you like ask the roofer to temporarily patch it to keep it from leaking while you wait.

Good luck!

Oh, buy the way-- not all roofers ignore their phones!