Why do timberlines come with two nailing areas?

I noticed timberlines come with a high nailing area. It looks like a 1" space to add nails. They also have the traditional nail line. GAF says it is better to nail at the traditional but the high nail area is an option. Why would they have the high nail option for? Is it better to nail at the high nail area for low slope roofs? Potentially decreasing water infiltration. Which line do you guys nail at.

i use timberlines every day and have never heard of it.

Maybe, they are made for different regions. The ones I see have one orange line and two blue lines.

im in the northeast region and only get metric timberlines with one white line.

I bet the guys at your local supply house have a dart board of you in the back room, lol.

who? me? ive been using timberlines for years and thats all, that is sold at any supplier in upstate NY. i use bradco, abc, b&l, lakeside & 84 lumber. all the shingles are the same from all of them. the only one in upstate that sells standard timberlines is home depot.

Hi,

The high nailing area is for 7/12 or less.

The high nailing area is not good for anything except to make sloppy nailing acceptable.

I agree with you on that lefty!

“who? me?..”

No, the OP. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a nice guy but I could see him up at the local supply house asking questions daily, heh.

Interesting, you cant get metric GAFs in Massachusetts. most roofers seam to like standard, I personaly dont care either way.

its not just GAF…all laminates are metric in my area

I’m with Roofer J; I don’t care what ya calls me, just don’t calls me late for suppa!

Sounds like a waste of nails.

demensional shingles have had a low nail problems from the start.
i have been complaining to the manufacture for years
that the nail line was to close to the bottom of the next shingle.
so basically they came up with this new area to combat the low nail issue.

wont do ya much good when the storms come.
but the maunfactures have finnally relised it doesnt matter, cause the storms blow off all shingles no matter were there nailed.

you cannot use this nail pattern on steep roofs
you must nail low, in the 2nd peace, to prevent
shingles from slidin and coming apart.

good luck.
gweedo

Gweedo, I realize that to you all roofs that aren’t metal & exposed fastener are [Scottish Guy]CRAP!![/Scottish Guy], however not all design standards are made for direct hurricane hits.

What if a structure is 80 miles away from the eye of a hurricane & the maximum sustained winds are 70 mph? Wouldn’t a ‘typical’ 30 yr. type shingle roof, if installed properly, fare just as well?

Additionally, what if you’re directly inside the area with the heaviest wind load & a tree or other debris bounces off your home? It’s doubtful a metal roof is going to make much difference there.

sorry ranchhand, i am in a hurricane area and do beleive in exsposed fastener metal roof system.

agree on first question.
disagree on the second.

and scottish guy crap?
regular crap is fine.

gweedo

MNaybe your jus think about the tar line atop the shingle. We have then just to appl extra adhesive so when it gets hot the shingle bond. Just like the the hendersons.
Peace

mr gweedo , would you like to comment on
mr roofing buster last post?

yes i would.

what?!

gweedo.

QFT

If you want to be a good roofer nail it through the thickest part of the shingle just above the exposure ( roughly a 1\2" - 5\8" nailing area).
This also serves to hold the shingle together so that it doesn’t slide apart.
The high nailing area is for Hacks, jacklegs and sloppy workmanship, IMO it is not acceptable.

I did a 3T repair yesterday (tree rubs) & the original shingles were ‘old school’ in that they were wider than today’s 3T’s.

They were also higher on the headlap & the knucklehead that installed them:

A) Used staples.
B) Did the typical stapler’s mistake of shooting them 45* to near vertical (R handed person).
C) “Cheated” on the ends & shot one staple over both butt ends of two side by side shingles (the only time the staples were horizontal).
D) Even though the headlap was a lot higher than today’s shingles, STILL managed to shoot high on the nail line & missed the top of the headlap on about 90% of all hits.

Oh, & the plank decking had lifted in a bunch of spots that obviously had never been resecured on the prior re-roofing.

Sheesh…

As a side note, I am trading out this repair for a website design & will post it here once we go live (will probably be awhile 'cause we’re both in no particular hurry).