When do you need a chimney cricket?

My chimney is a fairly small square one and it goes to within about 4" of the ridge. It is probably about 15" wide. I notice a small amount of water after a heavy rain standing behind the chimney but it doesn’t leak thru the house. It has step flashing and also the flashing that goes in the joint that covers the step flashing. I dont see how you could build a cricket as it would be so close to the ridge. It looks like they ran the step flashing thn roofed over it then the primary flashing comes over the step flashing. Is this god enough ? If you go up with a glass pf water and dump it there most of the waterruns off either side but about 1/4" lays in the valley created between the chimney and the ridge. It has always been like this but i read about crickets somewhere and wondered what you guys thought. Thank you

How old is the current roof?
It sounds like your flashing is working fine, crickets are ideal but sometimes the area is just too small to use one…
The critical parts of the chimney flashing are the corners, if the corners are all sealed up there is no way for water to get in, if the corners are done right the rest usually is also.
The groove in the chimney that the metal is stuck into is called a “reglet”, it is important that the metal is in the reglet firmly and sealed.
It sounds like it is good as is but a few pictures would help to confirm it.

current roof is 11 year old Tampco 25 yr Archects Old English Peweter color. It was a tear off. The secondary flashing is sealed very well into the cement in the bricks and appears to be orignal lead which was the orignal and not removed when the roof was done. The inner step flashing was done new when the roof was done. It appears that the flashing was done right and it doesn’t leak. I did coat around the top ridge side of the chimney with some Aluminum roof coating as it matched the roof color. Its probably fine but I do notice a small amount of water laying in the area between the chimney and the ridge right after a rain.

As long as the metal the chimney is flashed with is non-corrosive all should be well.
Provided the corners are good…
The 1\4" of water you are describing will evaporate quickly and would be normal in this situation.

ok so your bored and you ended up on your roof
waundering about a little puddle behind you chinmey.
ive done stranger things.
crikets are needed when you have a large chimney or a
low chimney.

ok,
chimneys fine.

stay off the roof.

gweedo

Thank you Dr. Gweedo

Hi,

Why did you do this? It did not serve a purpose.

[quote]ok so your bored and you ended up on your roof
waundering about a little puddle behind you chinmey.
ive done stranger things.
crikets are needed when you have a large chimney or a
low chimney.

ok,
chimneys fine.

stay off the roof.

gweedo[/quote]

:smiley:

your welcome.

dr gweedo.

Crickets are never needed…IMHO they were invented to solve a problem of poor crafstmanship.

[quote]

I guess I should say that if your chimney is wider thn 6’ then a cricket should be used[/quote]

oh no…now hes a doctor :roll:

I only did the coating because someone spilled some type of paint or something there from doing the chimney crown and the coating is the same color as the roof?? Im anal what can I say…

Oh wait…you said chimney cricket…

Hi,

I would like to see someone who is not a craftsman put one in.

Hi
:mrgreen:

Around here the framers started doing it on new home const because the roofers couldnt flash the chimneys right.

I have only seen them on houses built from the early 90s and up.

BYE :mrgreen:

Code here in Michigan states any chimney 36 inches or larger must have a cricket installed. Now i can agree with people not flashing them correctly.

I always thought it was 24"

Looking at the warren code in fron tof me for some reason it states 36 or larger. I dont have a current michigan code book so im not sure bout 24 inches.

Shingle monkey,

Here ya go. This was built about 90 years ago. :smiley:

%between%http://www.roofersreview.com/d/567-3/Roofing_cricket.jpg

Looks great for 90 years old :smiley:

Of course there are exceptions to everything, I was just giving my opinion on what I have seen in the Indy area for the last 13 years