Whats The List Of Every Line Item from Insurances for Roofs

What Is The List Of Every Line Item Possible For Roof Replacements From Insurance Cos.?

I am not asking the rates, because they vary, but what specific individual line items can you think of when doing a complete residential roof replacement.

I will seek someone afterwards for the Xactimate or Power Claim regional unit prices.

Ed

Is a salesmans commission part of the job? It IS an actual Job Cost, isn’t it? A commissioned salesman only earns when jobs are sold.
How does OSHA compliance safety subpart-M issues get calculated into the job scope. Heck, anything with an eave edge over 6 feet above the ground requires a minimum of bottom of the roof toe boards and cleats, right?
Dumpster Fee per job, not being re-used on another project.
Tear-off, One Layer or multiple layers
Staples take longer to remove, so does a previously stapled roof get paid higher.
Pulling out all old roofing nails versus banging them in.
Exhaust vent products.
B-Vent re-seating and water-profing the flange.
Chimney flashings on masonry structures.
Simulated chimney surrounds, like Majestic Chimney tops.
Like kind and quality shingle off and priced for same going on.
15# or 30# felt paper.
Ice and water shield, 3 feet minimum and at least 24" past the exterior heated walls. Code required or only if they have it already.
Plywood decking removal and replacement.
Securing interior attic insulation from blowing out of position when roof deck sheathing is removed.
Rafter replacement.
Sistering in rafters.
Gutter Eave Edge Gutter Apron flashings.
Rake Edge ODE, T-Style Drip edge.
Starter course shingles on eaves.
Bleeder strip starters on rake edges.
Plumbing Vent pipe flashings, remove and replace.
Fascia board remove and replace, 1" x 4", 1" x 6", 1" x 8", etc…
Aluminum gutters remove and replace and downspout leader pipes.
Gutter screening or gutter leaf guard protection.
Ridge Ventilation.
Powered Exhaust Vents.
Carpenter ant discovery and removal and remediation.
Wet insulation removal and replacement.
Temporary overnight tarping. Per square foot or unit pricing per job?
Skinny Rabbit Runs on 12/12 next to dormers. Total square footage is Zilch, but difficulty factor is way up there and very time consuming.
Step flashing, (baby tin), removal and re-setting or replacement.
Steep pitch charge at what point does this come into play.
2 story or 3rd story charges.
Degree of difficulty for close access to the home for disposal of debris.
Daily take down and resetup fees to keep equipment tidy rather than leaning haphazardly on someones home.
Skylight re-setting or replacement.
Bay window roofs. Once again, it is small square footage, but a pain in the butt to have someone do as quickly as the same square footage on the roof.
Gable returns. Very small and very much a PITA. There are all sorts of names for this architectural anomally, but I think you know what I mean.
Hip and or gable roof waste factors. (Aren’t roofs with valleys, the same as an inverted hip roof and requires additional waste factor calculations?
Various methods of obtaining the line item for Overhead and Profit and what do they add on from various carriers?

Okay, that is a start off the top of my head.

What other line items can be added to this list, that should be looked for and separately listed out for every roof done through the insurance company estimating softwares.

Ed

Depending on the climate, tucking the I&W behind the gutter. Plenty of people out there who don’t do it.

Protecting the home during shingle removal. lean plywood up, or hang a tarp.

Cutting the ridgevent slot. Or is that part of the ridgevent line?

I am making a presumption of replacement with like kind and quality, so if they already had a Ridge Vent, the slot should have already been cut.

Now, that brings up an interesting point.

What if the previous brand had a specified 3" slot cut in place.

The brand that you have available to you or that you prefer requires less than a 3" slot, say 2.75" per that manufacturers specification.

Then the plywood along the entire ridge would need to be replaced, since you can not strip in anything less than a 2 foot width of deck sheathing.

Would that required slot width specification mandate that the new replacement plywood get included in the scope of insurable work?

Ed

Ed, You have posted alot of things to consider. I’d like to comment on a couple of them.

For thinks like plywood removal and replacement unless it’s actually damaged from the cause of the claim, or while tearing off the roof it destroy’s some plywood it’s not billable to the insurance company. Home owner would have to pay.

Same would go for rafter replacement or sistering.

Starters are factored into waste as well as ridge. However waste for closed valleys has not typically been included in the 10% or 15% waste factors. You’d have an arguable point in charging for closed valley waste.

Temporary overnight tarping might not be a billable item. It has more to do with how a company chooses to install a roof vs it being a requirement for actually installing the roof.

Equipment setup, storage and reset up is included in the shingle line item cost in the estimating software.

Ants? I doubt they’d pay for this because it’s not caused by the actual claim, unless the ants were the cause in the first place. But then consider the broken water pipe that ruins the basement.

Insurance companies start paying steep at 7/12.

Remediation of existing fasteners when removing a roof is included in the tear off price in the line item.

OSHA? I’m actaully taking a stab at this one. I don’t think it’s address accordingly in any line item.

For the items that consume considerable time like bay window roofs, Skinny rabit runs, etc. You could bill the line item roofing labor at $/hour, with an explaination for the charge.

Just for arguments sake, lets discuss the plywood replacement.

I know that unless it was directly damaged due to the insurable event, the insurance company stand-point would be that it is not covered, with the exception that their must me a “Nailable Deck Substrate” to apply the shingles to.

But, the counter-point to this premise, is that the cost of the plywood replacement would NOT have been an expense that the home owner would have had to incur, but for the roof replacement needing to be done.

An position could be made, that any expenses necessary to accomplish the roof replacement should also be considered in the entire scope of work to be subsidized for.

I know that they allow for plywood decking to be installed over an old skip sheathing spaced board deck. If the “Nailable Substrate” condition applies in that instance, why not in the other?

Also, per the APA or some other Plywood Testing Resource, a 40 PSI Pull-Out strength is recommended for nailing roofing materials into the decking. Has anyone ever considered the Pull-Out testing devices to back up that requirement to have the decking included in the scope of work?

Ed

I also wanted to throw the Overhead and Profit definition, directly from Xactimates Software into the discussion and how it can be charged and manipulated.

Ed

If you look at the contents items in Xactimate, you can see that there is a “soft” overhead amount figured into the unit price, just like with structural repairs. No mention is made of “hard” overhead or profit. It stands to reason that O&P should be added to those figures as well.

"Overhead and Profit
What is and isn’t included in Xactware Pricing
OREM, UT, February 2, 2007 - For individual trades, Overhead is any additional expense not charged
(attributed) directly to thework being performed. Overhead is typically classified as an indirect cost. Profit is
formally defined as “the excess of the selling price of goods over cost.â€Â

Today was on a roof with an adjuster and tried to get her to pay 15% waste or even 12.5% waste. The roof wasn’t a hip roof but it was a gable roof with three large dormers on the front, 28sq off. The roof also had half a dozen pigeon returns with a few ledges. She got up on the roof (re-inspection for the rest of the windows and siding) and said, NO. Not trying to be a smart azz I pointed to the roof across the street and said, “Would you pay 10% on that one too?” She turned and looked at the two sided roof and said, “Yes”.

Gonna just wait for her to run down to the hurricane damage and try with an office personal.

She was really nice at first but when she didn’t want to pay for hail on the fascia she got angry. She then brought up a re-inspect last week in which the home owner called her to complain that they were only paying repair rather than replace. Things got really ugly when I asked her if she uses hair spray. While she was wipping the chaulk off her fingers I said it was so she wouldn’t have to deal with the chaulk dust. Then she said, “I thought you were making a personal insult”. She did have the tenacity to say I was worse than a storm chaser. My reply was, “The insured is paying for home insurance to cover hail damage right? Then PAY IT!!!”

When she left I told her I understood how Italians can lose their temper.

Funny thing is the damage I was pointing out I wasn’t going to make a cent off, no vested interest there.

Oddly enough last week she told me in detail about her problem with an x-boyfriend.