Whats best high profile shingle elk or gaf timberline?

my roofers agreed to do any shingle iw ant. which shingle in the 30 year has the best high profile or 3d look? thanks

That’s a matter of personal choice. You can see for yourself in a number of ways:

1. Go to the manufacture’s website.

2. Your local distributor should have a showroom of some sort.

3. Ask your roofer to bring by sample boards.

4. If you want to really annoy your roofer, ride around and give him addresses of roofs you like and make him tell you the brand and color of the shingle, lol.

I am a homeowner who just completed a small cottage and did alot of research on shingles.

I was going to go with a 30yr but I also wanted a high profile look. I ended up spending the extra money and going with the new Owens Corning Duration Premium shingle in Driftwood (same as weatherwood).
With the cottage being on a lake I also liked the fact that this has a 130mph wind guaranty!
It looks great and I am happy that I spent an extra $15 per square for the look. To me spending an extra few hundred bucks on a roof that I will be looking at daily and should last a long time was well money spent. My neighbors both have 30yr shingles and it looks night and day different. Mainly due to the thickness of the shingle and the bolder shadow line - in order to get a bolder shadow line which helps with the high def look, you usually have to pay for a premium shingle.

I did drive by alot of homes like Tar Monkey suggested and this really helped out! Shingle looks a little different of a completed house as compared to a 2 X 2 sample board. I did come to the conclusion that If I was going with a 30 yr shingle it would definitely have been the Certainteed Landmark 30yr in weatherwood. This to me gave the best high def look of all the 30 yr shingles plus practically ever roofer on this site says certainteed is a great shingle!

Good luck!

[quote=“Bob15201”]I am a homeowner who just completed a small cottage and did alot of research on shingles.

I was going to go with a 30yr but I also wanted a high profile look. I ended up spending the extra money and going with the new Owens Corning Duration Premium shingle in Driftwood (same as weatherwood).
With the cottage being on a lake I also liked the fact that this has a 130mph wind guaranty!
It looks great and I am happy that I spent an extra $15 per square for the look. To me spending an extra few hundred bucks on a roof that I will be looking at daily and should last a long time was well money spent. My neighbors both have 30yr shingles and it looks night and day different. Mainly due to the thickness of the shingle and the bolder shadow line - in order to get a bolder shadow line which helps with the high def look, you usually have to pay for a premium shingle.

I did drive by alot of homes like Tar Monkey suggested and this really helped out! Shingle looks a little different of a completed house as compared to a 2 X 2 sample board. I did come to the conclusion that If I was going with a 30 yr shingle it would definitely have been the Certainteed Landmark 30yr in weatherwood. This to me gave the best high def look of all the 30 yr shingles plus practically ever roofer on this site says certainteed is a great shingle!

Good luck![/quote]

The roofing industry needs more home owners such as yourself who are willing a pay for top quality materials.

When you jump from a 30 to a 40 year shingle found the extra price not worth it. 40 year Timberline and Landmark shingles cost around $70-80 a square here in MN were 30 year Timberline and Landmarks cost $50-60 a square. The weight is only about 20lbs per square more and it’s hard to tell the difference.

When you jump up to the lifetime laminates then you can really notice the difference from the ground. Certainteed has the Premium and TL Landmark line and they cost $80-100 a square, more for the TL which is a triple laminate shingle.

Never seen the OC Duration Premium shingle but at 130 mph wind rating they have to be thick! Certainteed also make a Driftwood in Landmark and it’s a nice looking gray shingle. Last week the three roofs were, Driftwood, Weather Wood, and Burnt Sienna.

I agree dougger the 30,40 & 50 yr. thing is annoying. Eliminate the 40-yr and be done with it. Keep the 30 & 50 and call it a day at Ye Olde Roofing Plant :wink:

that`s what it is at my suppliers,you have to special order any 40 yr,why bother the 50 yr is only about 3.00$ more,seems stupid

i seem to be stuck in the mud with all these different answers. people seem to like gaf on here and my roofer likes them also. MY QUESTION IS WILL THE GAF TIMBERLINE HAVE AS HIGH A HIGH PROFILE 3D LOOK AS THE ELK HIGH PROFILE SHINGLE? IF SO I’LL USE IT