What type of valley is this? Closed valley?

photolava.com/view/1e57.html">Free Photo hosting by PhotoLava.com

Yes that is a closed valley.

Whould it look better if the shingle that is pointed at the turn is cut flush with the rest of the shingles? From a distance, the shingle looks like it is sticking up.

They just use it as a bleeder .

Cutting it wont help since the tickness of it is there .

It can be removed and shingles will look flat but i dont like doing surgery on brand new roofs.

I herd that the proper name for that valley is a Long Island Valley.

That is a lazy mans closed cut valley and it’s ugly! A real closed cut valley involves running the overlapping side long, chalking a line, and cutting it back in a straight line.

That installation there, after finishing the underside, they run a row of what I call “dead soldiers” to form the line, and then cut in each shingle to end along that dead soldier. It might not leak, but it’s ugly and it’s cutting a corner and not having any pride, I would fire someone for doing that (and I have).

The correct name is closed cut, Long Island cut is a nickname. Around here, we call it a California-cut.

I did not say it was pretty i just answered yes its a closed valley. I really like how they switched sides for run of. It s done wrong sure.

We also call it a one cut valley - closed and one cut being the same type of valley.

that is not a closed cut valley…as there are no cuts. a closed cut valley is what almost all reputable roofers would do (in the northeast). to quote GAF training from CARE (center for advancement in roofing excellence) that is called a california valley and will void the warranty if it is a GAF shingle. what they have done is switched the valley sides halfway up??? dont ask why? (unless you ask the roofer that did it).

It’s the weekend, but I placed a call to the roofing company asking to meet with the owner regarding my concerns. Sent him the photos.

This roof was done by his crew using Tamko shingles.

Any suggestions on how to approach him.

Thanks again everyone!

hello don222,
yeah bout 10 year ago some idiot started layin shingles longways first
then steppin em over about 4" inches each (not far enough) as they run the shingles up the valley.
and guess what, ten thousand other idiots went rite along with him/her, and those kinda valleys are evreywhere now.
most of them will have to be fixed within a couple a years.
demsionals trap water bad enough with a normal valley.
this valley style makes it even worse by addin another layer to an allready lumped up area.

good luck.

gweedo.

I stand corrected. I didn’t look at it very close and now that I did you r right - it is a california valley

ask him (politely) if this was his home…would he feel comfortable with that on his roof? ask him if he will do a closed cut valley as the manufacture recommends. remember…politley…most of us are in this industry for a reason…we have short fuses. you dont want to light his fuse right of the bat and not get it resolved. you would be surprised how far a calm conversation will go.

WOW i guess i have been on to many roofs to not notice that. You are right marshall.

From a roofers standpoint, how difficult would it be to change the valley now that the roof is completed? Would the company I used stick to saying that is a closed valley? I’m wondering what the city building inspector found. Hopefully he took out a permit. Would that pass inspection?

My contract lists the following:

Install closed valleys
Tearoff 1 layer
Install 30 yr AR shingles
Install drip edge
Install ice & water in valleys & on heated eve edges (6ft)
Install 15# felt paper to roof deck
Replace pipe flashing ( color match)
Install #750 (color match) roof vents (6)
Re-step flash as needed
Dispose all debris
Recounter flash Chimney

• Rotten wood will be replaced at a charge of:
    4’ x 8’ 7/16 OSB $39 ea. (sold in full sheets only)
    1" x 6" roof board at $2 per linear foot (needed 2 for a total of $24)

Thanks for all the valuable insight

a california closed valley is a valley that has the smaller side run first,
then the other side comes over that, and is cut down the middle.

this roof does not have a california cut valley.
it has a dum dum lazy mans ghetto valley.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]a california closed valley is a valley that has the smaller side run first,
then the other side comes over that, and is cut down the middle.

this roof does not have a california cut valley.
it has a dum dum lazy mans ghetto valley.

gweedo.[/quote]

dum dum lazy mans ghetto valley :!: Lol, well put.

thank you S&G.

made me laugh when i think what the roofers think
when h/os print out our comments and show to the
not so good roofers.

there probably thinkin what the hell is roofing.com,
and some gweedo guy in florida called my valley
a d.d.l.m.g. valley.

cracks me up.

gweedo

CALIFORNIA CUT-cut on the left overlay at the top,and the right overlay at bottom,typically done because of the pitch changes-typically i would cross weave(double) the valley ,short of that you shouldn`t have any problems w/those valleys-typically a valley is weaved from the lower roof under the higher roof(the underlay)then the overlay comes from the higher roof and is cut slightly above the center—if they are at the same height the low pitch would be weaved under the higher pitch,then the higher pitch brought over and cut—when the pitches change midway,it requires what your pictures show (short of a cross weave)

[quote=“Severance & Gallant R”]That is a lazy mans closed cut valley and it’s ugly! A real closed cut valley involves running the overlapping side long, chalking a line, and cutting it back in a straight line.

That installation there, after finishing the underside, they run a row of what I call “dead soldiers” to form the line, and then cut in each shingle to end along that dead soldier. It might not leak, but it’s ugly and it’s cutting a corner and not having any pride, I would fire someone for doing that (and I have).

The correct name is closed cut, Long Island cut is a nickname. Around here, we call it a California-cut.[/quote]

I prefer my closed valley to be done that way. It provides better prtection and i think it looks better. Closed cut valleys are OLD SCHOOL. If you dont know what old school means your old school.