What % of your gross sales you all you estimators make?

Just trying to see what par for the course is!

It can vary depending on the market and situation. Normally a salesman in most markets get 8-10% of the total sale. That can increase drastically during storm damage such as a hail storm or a hurricane.

I make 50% of profit.

i make 100% of profit…but im also the owner

LOL . Me too Marshall. although the more you bring in the more goes out the door. I draw a salary check from the corporation, plus a commision based on sales. The men also receive bonuses based on quality and production. They make good money that is comparable with a union shop but also take care of my custumers and take a lot of pride in there workmanship. Your people are your greatest aset.

RooferJim

So if your the owner, what a fair % to give your salesman? Given these are profitable jobs…

Thanks!

i dont know how much a local sales rep would make. Ive been storming for a while and usually make 50% of profit. But on occasion 60 40 split with office costs.
gtp never got to calling ya back bud moved from columbus to akron for that storm. Still like to talk to ya though just dont know when. So freakin busy who needs a close when it feels like your takin orders. pm me your number ill call ya soon

[quote=“classicroofer”]i dont know how much a local sales rep would make. Ive been storming for a while and usually make 50% of profit. But on occasion 60 40 split with office costs.
gtp never got to calling ya back bud moved from columbus to akron for that storm. Still like to talk to ya though just dont know when. So freakin busy who needs a close when it feels like your takin orders. pm me your number ill call ya soon[/quote]

Just a heads up if it applies to you or your company. There is a local roofer in Akron with a family member that is an immigration officer(who use to roof himself). He is just waiting for the Akron area storm chasers to bring in there illegal immigrant crews. The fines and penalties for the companies are unbearable from what I’ve heard. Who are you representing? if you are interested in a position with a local company send your info in a message to me I know of a few small companies looking to pick up some work. To them if it’s profitable they’ll pay you well because they are struggling w/o the storm.

im working for a local company already. I never work for storm chasers. Learned that lesson. Whenever a storm does happen i make a few calls find out whos got a good name and reputation, and is not being bought out, and sell for them. But about the mexicans i cant wait for that. We only use white crews. But thx for lookin out. I know most of the big stormers peronally cause my father was a stormer. Good friends with most of em. But wont ever work for em. So much easier of a job going with someone local. I love the fact though that akron people are gettin more storm savy. Thx to the local newspaper bustin storm chasers balls. I also have a inside tip so keep a look out for it soon in the paper. Alot of sorm companies names are going to be posted in the paper soon
including the local ones that have been bought out. Wont name names but one of the comapnies in akron right now thats killin it is about to be exposed. Cant wait. Reason i know this is because im doing one of the editors roofs next week. :stuck_out_tongue:

What commission are the local companies paying may I asked?

I was just with a Company who was paying 42% in Dallas TX.

However, I had to leave this company after just 3 months

100% now. Will never work for another company again~

lets take for example a company that normally operates a with 2-5 crews(which is the size of most roofing co’s). Because of the hail storm damaging over 100,000 homes these small companies hire 20-50 salesman over night. These salesman move in from all over most from other states. These small companies are now seling more roofs in a week than there use to in a whole year. With there small size and crews there is no way they can handle all this work themselves. So they sub it out and mostly to out of town crews. Why because all the local crews are busy. Now what is the difference between these small local companies selling all this work just to sub it to an out of town crew(s) and the storm chasers? Years from now these small companies will once again be small and they will be busy fixin warranty issues. I sure you it will be the death of some small companies reputation.

I got a flyer in the mail from a local company who I know has 2 - 3 crews of 3 guys on each crew. He mailed these flyers out to every house in my zip code. His flyers talk about his business as having large crews that will do a complete in house in 1 day. I know this guy and his company, hell I watched him grow up, He has never had crews of more than 3 maybe 4 workers 1 of which is always a laborer. However know he has about 15 salesman and several large crews from out of town who he never previously knew until just know who are doing 1 house a day under his name and reputation. He in my opinion is no better than any storm chaser. only difference is when it leaks and the customer calls he’ll still be in town doesn’t mean he will fix it though does it.

And Frank… How many out of every 100 of those “Hail damaged roofs” absolutely have to be done RIGHT NOW?
In some hail storm situations I am seeing, these guys practically need a magnifying glass to find the damage.
Heck they don’t even know which storm it was from. it coulda been from 1992---- or some year before the SOB’s fully invaded.
Sometimes it isn’t even hail damage. It is a Horizon shingle.
In recent cases, the local CAn handle it, because the damage isn’t that bad or threatening.

It is simply a matter of storm chasers needing work BECAUSE THEY SUCK :stuck_out_tongue:

Our firm give a base salary plus 5% on all finalized sales.http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/5442/Large_Logo.JPG

[quote=“twill59”]And Frank… How many out of every 100 of those “Hail damaged roofs” absolutely have to be done RIGHT NOW?
In some hail storm situations I am seeing, these guys practically need a magnifying glass to find the damage.
Heck they don’t even know which storm it was from. it coulda been from 1992---- or some year before the SOB’s fully invaded.
Sometimes it isn’t even hail damage. It is a Horizon shingle.
In recent cases, the local CAn handle it, because the damage isn’t that bad or threatening.

It is simply a matter of storm chasers needing work BECAUSE THEY SUCK :P[/quote]

You’re absolutely right. The damage is not causing these roofs to leak. It is simply taking years off the life of the roof.
of course storm chasers suck who else besides someone with a chitty reputation in there home town would want to travel to do work at a discounted rate. not to mention it cost more to work out of town than in your own city. i have personelly done roofs outside of my home area to fix storm damage for past customers that have property in other states. However I made more per square than if I was local. Simply because it was there choice for us to work on there property which was in a different state. When we were in Florida we picked up additional work there and opened an office there as well. However I do mostly flat work so are customers are large commercial accounts.

[size=18]you forgot to mention how much the “base salary” was???[/size]

Geez thanks Frank for agreeing , I guess. Sometimes I feel like a voice in the wilderness.
Not saying I am always right, but it can be hard to prosper being honest.

[quote=“twill59”]Geez thanks Frank for agreeing , I guess. Sometimes I feel like a voice in the wilderness.
Not saying I am always right, but it can be hard to prosper being honest.[/quote]

It’s a great feeling knowing that you are providing honest people with good quality work and a trouble free roof. Yet there are no illegals crawling on thier roof and we still make a buck. LIFES GOOD. NO COMPLAINTS HERE. STILL PAYING THE BILLS AND EMPLOYING GREAT ROOFERS THAT MAKE ABOVE AVERAGE WAGES.