What is the going rate for new const. for roofing & sidi

Just wanted to throw out this question to see what are home builders generally paying per square on new residential construction for roofing and vinyl siding? What is the rate per linear foot for ridge vent and step flashing? I would be especially intersted in prices in the Ohio area. Am I correct in assuming that is a very competitive market? thanks In Advance for responses.

What are you charging your customers for roofing and siding?

New con never pays enough unless you have 20 crews working and 100’s of homes to do the work on. New con is quanity work nothing more. ALot of risk for such little money out here they dont pay enough to ever mention.

Heard the same thing from many guys friends of mine . They all say the same thing about horror stories of general contractors leaving them hanging with like 90k … Also recently another friend is in a lawsuit where there are so many subs involved that the lawsuit is taking years … And all those attorneys fees keep rolling in. Personally i am not intersted in new construction… if its all there is ill put on my toolbelt and go work somewhere rather then it … I have been to the point of arguing with a general contractor for my money … he owed me like $1,500 … he first game me $350 … then after 3 weeks of calling him he game me another $350 … one time he came up to me asking me if i wanted some jewelry :evil: … At the end it took getting a thrid party involved for me to get my remaining balance…

After a year and a half he called me up for an estimate… I just couldnt believe it

Hey Iam In the business of new construction it more stress than its worth stay away from it.

Joshua

I still work for one GC and and I get 35 a square for simple stuff and up to 100 for the ulgy ones the carpentrs felt and I and W sheild and he allways pays in a timely maner :mrgreen:

I spoke with contractor out of Ohio that had 14 roofing crews that did new construction homes. The crews were made of 3 or 4 workers (2 shinglers and 1 or 2 laborers). On a walkable 20+ sq house w/ a couple of valleys, a return or two w/ step flashing they would complete it in one day. he charged $120. per square for labor and material. That includes cetrtainteed 25yr 3 tab, 15lb felt, drip edge on perimeter, vinyl or cobra ridgevent, 1.25 inch nails(3" on ridge), and ice guard on gutter edges. Comes with a one year warranty.

His vinyl siding was 165.00 per square using a builder grade siding. That included corner posts, fascia, soffit, all boxes and assuning the windows had built in j channel already installed. He said he 12 crews doing just vinyl work.

I charge at least $210.00 per square labor and materials.

[quote=“RoofingProFrank”]

I charge at least $210.00 per square labor and materials.[/quote]

if you’ve got insurance, I’ll sub you some roofs for $210 per square for everything and pocket the rest.

[quote=“Severance & Gallant R”]

I charge at least $210.00 per square labor and materials.

if you’ve got insurance, I’ll sub you some roofs for $210 per square for everything and pocket the rest.[/quote]

Remember I said “at least $210.00 per square labor and material”. Thats just the minimum that’s not every job. $210.00 is a base price on the easiest imaginable house example easy access for tearoff, one layer, 4 or 5/12 pitch, no valleys, one or two boots, etc. Also remember I am in Ohio and our rates are probaly less the the East Coast. Do you have work in Ohio?

I do not have work in Ohio, and yes, prices are MUCH higher here than most places, California seems to be on pace with us. I WAS being sarcastic and you read that right, so thank you for that. I can’t believe the difference in costs from place to place. It’s amazing.

:smiley: well guys my boss gets 195.00 sq for roofing plus by the foot for extras like ice water, step flashing, ridge vent, valleys and ALWAYS gets paid within a month,He has 27 builders we do work for and we have been really busy doing new builds there are so many subdivisions going up here.and my boss is friends with almost all the builders and we have work all year round

Around here 35 a sqaure on 12/12 is not unheard of. I wont get involved for anything that pays such a little price tag. Those prices you are talking about is that with materials? My price im talking about is with labor only.

35 on a 12/12 is ridiculous

we have done some new construction, it can become too much of a pain to deal with the builders on pay (especially when the builder is huge). but labor only, shingle installation only we were at $55.00 to $65.00 per sq and up depending on the house. it’s really only good fill work and to hopefully have some winter work in ohio (we have a 59 unit development going up this fall). the payroll on new construction is pretty cheap and the guys like it, they don’t have to tear anything. And if it keeps the guys busy when there isn’t anything else that day then great. the other thing we have seen is miss scheduling, but you can fix that by charging alot if you have to make an extra trip for their mistake, they learn after the 1st time. the one really big draw back is to do new construction you have to carry 1mil/2mil ins.

we have done some new construction, it can become too much of a pain to deal with the builders on pay (especially when the builder is huge). but labor only, shingle installation only we were at $55.00 to $65.00 per sq and up depending on the house. it’s really only good fill work and to hopefully have some winter work in ohio (we have a 59 unit development going up this fall). the payroll on new construction is pretty cheap and the guys like it, they don’t have to tear anything. And if it keeps the guys busy when there isn’t anything else that day then great. the other thing we have seen is miss scheduling, but you can fix that by charging alot if you have to make an extra trip for their mistake, they learn after the 1st time. the one really big draw back is to do new construction you have to carry 1mil/2mil ins.

I large home builder wants me to present a bid that includes labor only prices. They want a persquare price to do the felt and shingles. A per linear foot price for the ice guard, drip edge, stepflashing, valleys, etc. The houses do not have chimneys just a shed roof in the back for a b vent gas stove. Do you have any advise on much per linear foot?