What is rightfully owed?

For educational purposes, can someone enlighten me on this question? Now, I understand the answer may vary depending on the policy coverage but lets just say that the insurance roof estimate includes the cost to R&R woodshake shingles (existing on the home).

But the homeowner wants to “downgrade” to architectural shingles. What does the insurance company owe? What was pre-existing? Because I imagine that the homeowner paid their premiums based on the woodshake…right?

OR do they pay for what is put on the home (architectural)?

They owe for what the homeowner had on their roof.

What would your rebuttal be in this situation?

@Suppqueen have you ever came across this situation before? advice?

They owe them the depreciated amount of the wood shake roof. Then the depreciation will be paid if incurred. If they go back with the composition architectural shingle it will likely not cost as much is the wood shake unless decking is involved so they may never be able to recoup the depreciation.

That’s a tough one, they do owe for what is up there, however it is illegal to bill the insurance company for something you did not do. There is always the chance the insurance company will audit the claim and do an inspection before releasing the depreciation. Does the roof have decking?

I’ve never heard of anyone downgrading to ‘architectural’ shingle but I’ve heard of upgrading to architectural.
The insurance company pays what, they and the homeowner agree on, according to the policy covering the work.
Business is not based on imagination, and if you don’t know what the work is insured for means it’s none of your business.
You put a quote in to do what is expected of you…no more no less

Okay, so I spoke to an adjuster friend about this to check and see what the right thing to do in this situation really is. He said that technically they owe for the wood shake, so he suggested upon invoicing that you don’t itemize, but just state “repairs completed per insurance scope” He also said you could itemize, but pick the shingle you put up there and change the price to match the wood shake, because that is really what they owe. Hope that helps. Thanks for the question, always try to keep on my toes and make every day a day to learn something new.

awesome, thank you for your feedback!

The insurance company is liable to pay to replace your roof at a determined price based on policy/coverage and depreciation. They don’t care what roof you choose as long the roof is replaced. I’m a contractor AND a homeowner who actually has been on both ends. When I replaced my roof…I went from metal to shingles. The difference in the payment also bought new r39 attic insulation…:slight_smile::slight_smile:. Also remember that regulated minimums of coverage vary state to state.

They owe the ACV amount for what is installed presently. Quite a debate on the recoverable. IMHO, they only owe for what is installed but there are those who have gotten full amount. Of course, if the contractor and homeowner have no integrity, they can bill for the full amount and work it out on the side. That’s technically insurance fraud.

I actually conferred with my adjuster about my decision. I prefer shingles so they didn’t care as long as it was as good or better. The 30 yr landmarks I installed are far superior to the screw down agri panel roof it had. I won’t even take a residential job with exposed fasteners…

The insurance company for the shake roof. Shake roofs are costly so the people can just put a premium architectural shingle on the roof.