What is my problem?

I’ve sent in the warranty papers a 2 shingle samples to IKO on this but I want your opinion on what is causing the cracking, lifting, and lack of good seal down on these 7 year old IKO 25 year shingles. It was a December/Jan install. Many pics, may take a while to load. It was about 70 degrees out when I took the pictures, they look worse when it is cooler.

I see places where partial shingles were used in the field and where it looks like they worked in from each end and lapped the shingles to make a joint. Are these approved intallation methods?

Contractor warranty is one year, if it is determined to be an install problem does that protect him fully?

This next, and last, pic is of the lap joint in the field.

Hi,

IKO are junk shingles. I have not heard of them covering any warranty’s. Find a contractor who will not use IKO’s ever.

The overlapped shingles are not cosmetically nice. They should not leak.

[quote=“DSLPelican”]I’ve sent in the warranty papers a 2 shingle samples to IKO on this but I want your opinion on what is causing the cracking, lifting, and lack of good seal down on these 7 year old IKO 25 year shingles. It was a December/Jan install. Many pics, may take a while to load. It was about 70 degrees out when I took the pictures, they look worse when it is cooler.

I see places where partial shingles were used in the field and where it looks like they worked in from each end and lapped the shingles to make a joint. Are these approved intallation methods?

Contractor warranty is one year, if it is determined to be an install problem does that protect him fully?

This next, and last, pic is of the lap joint in the field.
[/quote]

The craking is a typical manufacturer’s defect, as is the curling of the shingles. The lap is a very poor installation practice by an amateur or a lazy roofer and may cause a problem with the warranty.

i would like to see a few more pictures.

gweedo.

lol at(Gweedo)
I would have to say that the manufacturer will void the warrantee for the poor installation. And as far as the contractors warrantee,lol it is only as good as the contractor,and his reputation,they should never have been paid for this installation!

I can’t tell by the pic but it looks like their shingles didn’t match up crossing a valley so they over lapped them so it wouldn’t be split over split.At least they did that so your sheetrock wouldn’t fall in. Overlapping the shingles didn’t cause the others to split.

It looks like they left the fiberglass out of the shingles, bad shingles.

Just guessing here…
Since it was a winter install maybe the mat got damaged in some way do to the cold.
I have never seen cracking quite like that before.

Dsl? Is this the assisted living place you posted about,or do you have another problem roof?

ihave seen cracking like that once. the insurance adjuster blamed it on plywood being butted tight.

Hi,

The adhesive could be the problem. If the adhesive is not consistent it will tear the shingles with expansion.

I do not believe the winter install has anything to do with it. Could be wrong?

If it was the plywood, the shingles will be tore above the joints. This is to scatter to be tight plywood.

Lefty…Did you get my P.M.?

from the pattern that I seein the tears…
I might guess that the cracked/ torn shingles
are in the sheathing butts in between the rafters after being walked on in the winter. JMHO…David

This is a common defect in light weight 3 tab shingles which has been written about in the roofing magazines in the early 90’s due to excessive sealant attachment which does allow for expansion and contraction.

OC 20 year 3-tabs were the predominant inferior product of that time period.

Ed

Was on a 17 and 19 year old OC Supreme 25 year 3 tab fiberglass roof this year that looked better than most 10 year old fiberglass roofs.

Both were bought by the insurance company for hail damage.

Speaking of hail damage, saw a pvc plumbing vent with a chunk out of it with a crack four to five inches long under the missing chunk. Been on roofs with softball hail and have yet to see this type of damage.

It was primarily isolated to the 20 year versions of the shingles, which split due to their thinness in addition to the adhesion qualities.

Ed

you need to get your self a good roofer.that guy is a hack.awful install.

I’ve seen this type of problem before. Most times, it is a ventillation issue. When the attic has so much intake but not enough exhaust, the air decides to make its own way out, usually by blowing out areas of underlayment and shingle. Kind of its own way of passing gas.

I will try to find the roofing magazine article I referenced, but this site give excellent analysis of symptom and causation of this defect.

inspect-ny.com/roof/SplittingShingles.htm

Ed

I still need to do more searching, but I found this reference to the original article.

They used a Western Roofer Magazine as the source for this paper. JD Koontz should have at least referenced it. Shame on him.

jdkoontz.com/articles/shingles.pdf

Ed

The shingles near the valley appear to have had a lot of granule sluff-off and the other pictures indicate that it is a lightweight shingle going over a pre-existing roof so that the shingle is a re-roof. Alkso I hjave never believed in and installed three tabs using the straight line pattern of installation. I believe in a staggered pattern of offsetting the shingles at 5 5/8".