What Does Your Workmanship Warranty Cover? Limitations?

We include a 5 year workmanship warranty with each roof replacement. At present, our warranty certificate is fairly brief in words with few limitations. Our contract itself includes a statement about not being responsible for damages under the roof for certain conditions such as ice dams, wind driven rain above 60 mph, etc… Thankfully, our warranty claims have been very, very low. To date, we’ve also had any interior damage repaired with no questions.

I am curious about the workmanship warranties you folks provide.

1. For what period do you warranty your work?

2. Do you cover damages under the roof such as interior?

3. If you do cover damages under the roof, are there any dollar amount or other limitations?

4. Do you charge a deductible of any kind?

5. Do you charge a trip fee if a claim is called in and it turns out the damage wasn’t due to your workmanship?

6. Do you have any caveats to limit your liability such as ice dams, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.?

I have been considering this a fair amount lately. A good portion of our business has been with rather expensive homes, $400K plus. Obviously, these expensive homes can often have rather expensive interiors and expensive items inside.

So what happens if a leak occurs, ceiling caves in on a $100,000 antique grand piano? Or a leak occurs due to workmanship, isn’t noticed but happens over a long time resulting in a major mold problem that results in a $100K deal?

Yeah, I realize these types of things could be covered by the GL Policy but who wants to have to use that? I’m just wondering if your warranties and/or contracts have anything to limit your liability or protect against these circumstances?

Water on ice dams causing leaks…

This years has been crazy, averaging 20 calls a day lately.

Knock On Wood- We havent had many issues over the years until just yesterday, and it’s my parents house of course. We put on a new roof in July 2010 and a major ice dam built up on the garage, which has a finished ceiling and walls. However, the gutter was pulled from the house and so was the siding, so not roof related, Thank God.

The only other issues that I can think of is gutter related, windows leaking etc. that we did not install.
Never had a valley leak or chimney leak.

Again- “knocking on Wood”

Given our history, I am pretty confident, however, should a leak happen, within our 7yr guarantee, we would prob have to take care of the interior damage unless it was caused by a major ice dam leaking through the walls or major winds (and we 6 nail).

I give a 5yr warranty.That warranty covers workmanship related issues.If anything happens/arises due to workmanship error then I perform the repair and have someone of my choosing to repair or replace any damage.I do state in my “Not Responsible For” area that If the homeowner delays or disregards any leak for any reason then they will share responsibility.That is for the people who put things off or don’t want to deal with anything.Believe it or not it happens.I state also that any alterations to the roof performed by anyone other than a Roofmaster417 associate then any leaks formed by this work will be the responsibility of the homeowner.And not responsible for leaks from customers foot traffic on the roof.And not responsible for winds exceeding the shingles capabilities,acts of god,leaks formed from tree branches,typical stuff like christmas lights,ornaments etc.Additions,Hvac,new plumbing,satellites,remodeling,painting etc.And no if a customer has the house painted then it does not void the warranty.That will happen when the idiot painter walks the valley out.

Okay, thanks for the feedback.

What do you guys do about the interior damages? Do you have any limitations on what you’ll fix/cover for this?

5 years.

1. Do you cover damages under the roof such as interior?

If it is the result of a workmanship issue, yes.

1. If you do cover damages under the roof, are there any dollar amount or other limitations?

No. If there are damages to the interior because of faulty workmanship we can legally be held liable for the whole amount.

1. Do you charge a deductible of any kind?

See #3 above.

1. Do you charge a trip fee if a claim is called in and it turns out the damage wasn’t due to your workmanship?

No. That’s just part of our customer service. Happy customers refer others.

1. Do you have any caveats to limit your liability such as ice dams, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.?

Obviously hurricanes and tornados would be excluded. Ice dams might be debatable, however, I would tend to think that they are not workmanship related issues. If you have promoted and installed ventilation and ice and water shield while specifically targeting ice dams, then you might be on the hook for that.

1. For what period do you warranty your work? 2 Years

2. Do you cover damages under the roof such as interior? We have nothing in writing… but we have done several repairs to interior in the past.

3. If you do cover damages under the roof, are there any dollar amount or other limitations? no

4. Do you charge a deductible of any kind? No

5. Do you charge a trip fee if a claim is called in and it turns out the damage wasn’t due to your workmanship? no, we always tell our customers if they ever need anything we are there. Also you cant expect an elderly or single mother to climb around attics to inspect where water is coming through a ceiling.

6. Do you have any caveats to limit your liability such as ice dams, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.? We let our customers know that damage caused from storms is not covered under warranty. Its a workmanship warranty.

A.D. Im really glad you brought this topic up. Although we haven’t had serious issues with our warranties… i can now see the importance of putting something in writing.

I have entered homes before where customers has art and antiques all over. Even one with a custom painted ceiling.

I think we will come up with a warranty certificate. It will look nice on the front and on the back have all the legal stuff.

Ill have my lawyer come up with something.

I just lost a job due to the other roofing company having a 10 year workmenship warranty…

Wow that makes me mad.

[quote=“RoofingRevolution”]I just lost a job due to the other roofing company having a 10 year workmenship warranty…

Wow that makes me mad.[/quote]

I here you RoofRev.A local company here offers 15yr workmanship warranties and they started biz in 2004.

If you think about it, if you do have workmanship issues they are going to manifest themselves fairly early in the life of the new roof. It has been my experience that roofs that have no issues within the first year are not going to have issues in the following years. Therefore, you can offer a lifetime workmanship warranty if you want because you can be fairly certain you have no workmanship issues. Normal wear is not a workmanship issue.

15 years

2. Do you cover damages under the roof such as interior?
    NO

3. If you do cover damages under the roof, are there any dollar amount or other limitations?
    None

4. Do you charge a deductible of any kind?

None will look at but any changes or alterations to the roofing assembly will void any and all warrantys

1. Do you charge a trip fee if a claim is called in and it turns out the damage wasn’t due to your workmanship?

6. Do you have any caveats to limit your liability such as ice dams, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.?
None

My contract has it all built in you know what im running but a newer version. I changed verbiage but still the same. I figure if the roof is going to leak it will in the first 2 years

Well I’m way different. My warranty is as long as the customer chooses. What I mean is that I include the extended factory warranties in every different system I sell. I know it won’t leak due to workmanship. If it does, quick fix. Basically my labor warranties are either 10-20 or “lifetime”.

I offer a 10 year workmanship warranty now simmply because Ive seen low nails start leaking after a roof was 8 years old…although the leak was tiny it was still a leak and It was caused by me or one of my guys…always pay for the damages caused by the leak…do this and it will get rid of the bad taste the homeowner may have from having a leaky roof

I give a 5 year workmanship. I repair all workmanship damage. I have had a call about workmanship issue that have been over the 5 years that I offer. It was 10 years after I install the roof. But I am here for the home owner. So when I went out to see what the trouble was. It was not a workmanship issue because the rubber seal around the pipe flashing have went bad. The roof when I went on it had hail damage to it. So because I went out for a workmanship after my workmanship has ended I got the job to replace the roof. The home owner like that I came out with no question about way I should because my workmanship was up. I always give the home owner the best that I can.

M&R ROOFING WARRANTY

10 Years, no questions asked.

We will cover damages under roof if they are workmanship issue.

1. If you do cover damages under the roof, are there any dollar amount or other limitations?

Because we strive to provide the best quality install we rarely face damages due to workmanship.

No deductible, we stand by our product.

No, I believe this is part of the business. We once installed a roof on a heritage home, week later got a call that there was water damage in the washroom. We tore out drywall to find out it was an a/c leak that caused the damaged. The owner gave us a couple extra bucks and went after the a/c company.

1. Do you have any caveats to limit your liability such as ice dams, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.?

Yes ice dams, we don’t get many issues here caused by mother nature. We always install ice & water to prevent these issues. :wink:

Previously…

Within a period of five (5) years, we agree to repair any leaks to the roof, which are deemed to be caused by our workmanship during the initial installation, or any other problems resulting from any error in the initial installation of any other products installed.

This warranty does not cover any liabilities or damages which have been caused by acts of God or nature, including but not limited to: rain, wind, fire, tornadoes, hurricanes, hail, gale force winds, lightening, earthquakes, foundation shifts, ice dams, snow, nails lifting as a result of expansion and contraction, vandalism or any other action outside of the control of the Company. Excessive wind is Forty (40) mph or higher. This warranty does not cover any leaks or other damages caused by the failure of any materials not replaced at the time of the original installation or where modifications have been made to the roof structure after the installation of the original roof, siding or other products/materials installed by the Company, is completed, or poorly designed roof or siding decking such as where a roof valley has been installed along side of or towards an exterior wall. Insured/owner/customer must make sure that any and all snow and ice are removed and cleared from roofing – particularly in valleys, gutters and roof edges in order for this warranty to remain valid. If a leak is discovered/detected and you do not take or have not taken immediate action to protect the property (interior and exterior) from further damage, (i.e., remove snow and ice or gutter debris that may be blocking the free flow of water through the gutter or removing ice from the gutter or clearing snow and/or ice from the roof area and/or protecting the interior of the building) the warranty will become null and void. Not properly removing ice and snow from roofing – particularly in valleys, gutters and roof edges, before or after a leak is discovered, will nullify this warranty in its entirety.

Well said

if workmanship is good there shouldnt be any problems short term…only problems that may occur are nail pops and other small things that are usually simple and inexpensive to fix and these usually dont occur until sometime down the road…the best business move is to take care of problems if and when they occur and dont let your pride get in the way

Thumbs up!

10 years. But if a roof dose not leak after 2 years I think it was done right.

yes. But out of 60 or so roofs a year I’m surprised if I get one call for a leak.

No. If there are damages to the interior of the home I will take care of it all. I rather pay for it out of pocket for a mistake that we made then call in my Insherince. But I always hope they would call at the first sine of a leak.

No.

No. Unless they where mean on the phone and it was not my fault. Or they lied to me on the phone just to have me out to diagnose there other problem. ( examples. open window in the rain, plumbing, a section of roof I did not do)

hurricanes, hail and tornados would be excluded. Ice dams might be debatable depending on how tall they are, however, I would tend to think that they are not workmanship related issues. I have and will remove ice dams for free or close to free for roofs did.