What do you guys do on tear offs with Ice and Water?

can you tear this stuff off ?? Or can you just put another layer on over exsisting ?? Will it stick that way ??

Ever see a shingle over with Archct shingles ?? Can it be done

replace the wood its on.

so you cant tear it off or just put another layer over it ??

If after removing all of the existing roofing materials, including the drip edge, your existing
I&W is still in good condition…I see no reason to replace it, or go over it…it is a self sealing membrane…that’s the advantage of it. Take your time removing the existing roof in that area, make sure that the sheathing is solid, maybe re-nail as necessary, add new drip edge and your good to go. Replacing Grace Ice & Water Shield is a manufacturer’s propaganda, and telling me that after using it, it is junk, and needs replacement, goes against the features that make me buy it in the first place. If it looks spotty, but is firmly sealed to the sheathing, then I would just go over it with another layer. I have never read or heard of an engineer requiring the removal of existing membrane that is still in good condition. Same thing with warranties for shingles that require
complete replacement of existing counterflashing, especially if I determine during the removal, that the existing flashing is in good condition.

As far as re-roofing over existing dimensional shingles, although I am sure it has been done, i wouldn’t dom it on my own house, and I never recomend to acustomer to do a go over…I prefer a sheathing inspection, etc, and I believe in some states, in high wind damage areas, re-roofing requires 100% membrane after re-nailing sheathing and the installation of some sort of wind/ hurricane clips on the rafters etc.

[quote=“thebaycompany”]If after removing all of the existing roofing materials, including the drip edge, your existing
I&W is still in good condition…I see no reason to replace it, or go over it…it is a self sealing membrane…that’s the advantage of it. Take your time removing the existing roof in that area, make sure that the sheathing is solid, maybe re-nail as necessary, add new drip edge and your good to go. Replacing Grace Ice & Water Shield is a manufacturer’s propaganda, and telling me that after using it, it is junk, and needs replacement, goes against the features that make me buy it in the first place. If it looks spotty, but is firmly sealed to the sheathing, then I would just go over it with another layer. I have never read or heard of an engineer requiring the removal of existing membrane that is still in good condition. Same thing with warranties for shingles that require
complete replacement of existing counterflashing, especially if I determine during the removal, that the existing flashing is in good condition.

As far as re-roofing over existing dimensional shingles, although I am sure it has been done, i wouldn’t dom it on my own house, and I never recomend to acustomer to do a go over…I prefer a sheathing inspection, etc, and I believe in some states, in high wind damage areas, re-roofing requires 100% membrane after re-nailing sheathing and the installation of some sort of wind/ hurricane clips on the rafters etc.[/quote]

Its a self sealing membrane but there will be holes all over it.It seals around nails but when there pulled its a leak,no?Put another layer over existing I&W,JMO

so it will stick to itsself right ??

Yes

If I can pull up the ice and water I’ll try that before going over it. Some of the cheap ice and water won’t stick to the decking.

If you leave the ice and water on here in MN you are required by code to put new ice and water on top of it.

Gotta fight enough to get what I want from the insurance companies. They would laugh at me if I tried to get them to pay for replacing the decking on the bottom couple rows.

You have to clean the ice and water of all debris before putting new on top.

As far as going over laminates it’s not recomended. Some roofs I do the previous roofers didn’t nail the step flashing on the roof side. One would think it would be a total waste of time to replace step flashing that has never been nailed to the roof.

sometimes pending on the brand you won’t be able to get the shingles off the ice guard just to let you know i would have plywood or sheathing ready to go… thats why i don’t really see the use of iceguard personally its not self sealing yeah i put it on jobs, but thats just because customers want it…hear in pittsburgh you might see 1-2" of wood rotten from clogged gutters, but i have yet to see iceguard really save anything and i have had to rip roofs off with it… and alot of the time the shingles won’t come off especially if they scuffed it when the did the roof… (washes off the granules on the ice guard… and no for the most part, ice guard doesn’t stick good on top of old iceguard thats why it has that coating of sand or granules for just that reason…try it and than come back the next day you’ll see pulls right up with little effort

humm interesting one roofe says yes it will stick another says no… :roll:

When you have a seam on a continuous length of ice guard. Does it not stick to its self? Wouldn’t older baked on ice guard be just as good or better of surface to stick to then just out of the box?

rooferr have you done it before and does it stick well ?

Some of the Ice & water shield knock-offs can be removed, without deck damage.
These cheap imitations of Ice & water shield should not be gone over they should be removed.

Grace won’t come off, if you put new Grace over old Grace, it won’t ever come off either.
And you better set your roll right the first time, you won’t get a second chance…

A general answer is yes CVC. If it can be pulled pull it. If the shingles can’t be removed from it, replace the decking. Its one of those questions you won’t know the correct answer untill you have everything off and are looking at it.

I dont remember what brand they used, they bought all the stuff at a hi end roofing supply not a big box store. It was 11 years ago did Grace exsist then ??

I remember picking pcs off the ground and it was stuck together ???

He didnt seem to skimp on anything. Insisted on using 5 ply fir plywood to replace a few sheets near the eves. Said thats what was on the roof and thats what he uses ???

Tampko shingles etc… Oh well I guess I will worry about it when the time comes.

Does anyone ever cover the roof all the way to peek with IW ??

Grace I&W has been used since the late 1970’s. We used it sparingly in the 80s. in the early 90s it was the norm. Now we put a min of 6’at eaves and some roofs get the whole thing covered. I can rip shingle off it no problem almost every time,on rare occasion it will have to get scraped with a scratch “spud” bar.

maybe this is what he used as the supply co he buys from is near me and they sell Grace. Again I probably will wait a few years until we retire ( if ever ) then do a tear off and use IW all the way on the back section anyway.

Thanks guys

It hasn’t happened yet for me.but when it does,
the answer will probably be start shooting people.

No roofing in our area was installed with IW just on the bottom and valleys ever!

In florida, They hit us all at one time and every company installed it over the entire roof, for every single roof, for over 9months. That’s a lot of roofs.
That’s a lot of lawsuits.

The United states government forced state licenced roofing contractors and homeowners to install a product that they did not agree to.
They were forced into it if they wanted their roof replaced and legal.

Now the government needs to make amends to the damage that they forced onto the people.

The homeowners shouldn’t have to pay for all their
wood to be replaced. that is a burden that should not be overlooked or unpunished.

The homeowner shouldn’t have to install product over product over product over product because it was impossible to remove the product. This is insane.

The homeowner shouldn’t be forced by the government to **have to pay **to have all their roof decking wood renailed either.
Its 8d ring shank nails only 6 inches on center,
everywhere yes, they can and will bring a tape
measure and fail you if a new nail is wider than 6 inches. sometimes all this nailing does more damage than good.

You have to wait on a city inspector to show up
before you can install your roofing.
No they do not tell you when they are coming.(or care)
You have to pay your men to stand around and waste your money for hours(hundreds of dollars) until the city inspector shows up.
Hope it dont rain!
I am already dealing with one ceiling because of this.

The government has overstepped their bounds.

Do you think this is going to affect the price that i have to charge? you better believe it.

The homeowner/ the people/ us shouldn’t have to suffer with these prices that shouldn’t be. It affects everything and everyone.

good luck with that one. let me know when big brother goverment starts sending out checks :slight_smile: