What detail should I be looking for in my roof quote?

I got a formal quote yesterday. This is my first time at this. Some items were not specifically spelled out and I want to know if I am just being paranoid about the process?

Brand and specs. of shingle was not specified, should I ask? (it just says 30 yr. architectural shingle)
Felt weight was not specified, should I ask? (the quote does not address or mention felt)
Chimney flashing says “clean and reinstallâ€Â

The more detail the better.

The majority of contract disputes occur do to a different perception from one party to the other.

This can be avoided if the contractor takes the time to spell out every single item and every step of the way.

Pre-Job estimate analysis photos.
How the tear off will be done.
Dumpster Pan or dump truck.
Permit acquisition.
Subcontract the job out or employees.
Tarping the torn off sectionm every night.
What quality of felt paper, 15# or 30# or synthetic.
Gutter Apron Drip Edge Flashing.
Gable edge Overhanging Drip Edge Flashing.
Replacing or re-using existing pipe vent flashings.
Installation procedure for counter flashings.
Brand of Ice and Water Shield underlayment.
Treatment procedure for any valley details.
Treatment procedure for any roof to wall tie ins.
Brand and style by name and color of the shingles
Added Intake Ventilation to Balance the New Exhaust
Brand of Premier Ridge Vent, not any rolled vent, ick.
How many nails per shingle.
Job Progress detail photos for every step done.
Customer satisfaction progress reports in writing
End of Job Punch List Walk Through before payment
Fully detailed written warranty

I have a collection of 135 other competitors old roofing proposals people give me and I feel they pretty much are all a disgrace, with a few very noticeable exceptions.

My own proposal is usually 8 pages of analysis and step by step details for the proper solution and I sit down with every home owner for as long as it takes. I also provide all of the manufacturers brochures which back up and properly authenticate all of my conclusions.

Most roofs only last for about 12-15 years, but if they were done correctly in the first place, paying attention to ALL of the proper details, their life would be as stated and be fully warrantable.

Ed

I sent you a PM.

I got a formal quote yesterday. This is my first time at this. Some items were not specifically spelled out and I want to know if I am just being paranoid about the process?

The roofing company should do their best to make the clients comfortable. You’re often making a large investment in your roof and to speak frankly the company you deal with should be selling more than a roof, they should be selling trust. Ask questions until you’re secure with your investment and the company you have chosen. I always advise that people get three estimates so you can compare price/details.

Brand and specs. of shingle was not specified, should I ask? (it just says 30 yr. architectural shingle)**

Yes, ask. Shingle type and color should be listed in detail on the contract as prices vary.

Felt weight was not specified, should I ask? (the quote does not address or mention felt)

Most companys use 15lb. felt for asphalt shingles but I would not take anything for granted.

Chimney flashing says “clean and reinstallâ€Â

Just in case you do not get an e-mail alert, I did send you a recommendation for someone else in your area.

Ed

dont know were your from but we clean and reinstall
chimney flashing down here all the time.
i havent specified felt type before.

as long as your roofer is from your area and well respected in the business then youll be fine.

but if he or she cant name the mayer,
then ide be leary.

gweedo