What brand roof is most important?

I just got a price for a roof replacement. In his quote he lists the shingle to be 30yr GAF Architectural shingles. But the folder he left me is Tamko Heritage shingle sample. Aren’there different grades of 30 yr GAF shingles. Also I have a VERY low slope porch he is proposing to put a new SAP membrane System on. Do you recommend this system? He has an 8 year workmanship warranty (been in business since 2000) What exactly does that mean? Sorry for so many questions. I am single & have a hinky back. So will be unable to get up on roof to check. Also would like to be able to trust my roofer and not have to get on roof. Debra

In his quote he lists the shingle to be 30yr GAF Architectural shingles. But the folder he left me is Tamko Heritage shingle sample. Aren’there different grades of 30 yr GAF shingles.

Grades? No. There are different manufacturers that make different quality shingles and we all have our preferences. Personally I think Tamko is garbage. I like GAF or Certainteed.

** Also I have a VERY low slope porch he is proposing to put a new SAP membrane System on. Do you recommend this system?**

Not familiar with SAP? Self Adhesive?

He has an 8 year workmanship warranty (been in business since 2000) What exactly does that mean?

Means he will supposedly return to fix any problems due to something that was his fault within the warranty’s time frame.

If you have doubt’s I would seek the advice and estimates of several other roofers. Nothing wrong with shopping.

He must have made a mistake by saying one brand and giving you the brochure of another. Price wise their all about the same but not all 30 year laminates are equal. To avoid a brand war try to concentrate more on the quality and reputation of the contractor rather than the brand they install.

Ask for a list of references. I’m not sure Arkansas requires a roofer to be licensed but if they do make sure their on the up and up with the state. Also make sure they have the required insurance policies (general liability and workmans comp) in place, but again I’m not 100% sure Arkansas requires that of roofing contractors.

Getting three bids is about the best advice you can get. Some will say go with the middle priced one but price isn’t always the best way to shop. I’m on the expensive side with top quality now but 5 years ago when getting on my feet I was cheap and top quality. From 5 years ago to now the quality hasn’t changed just my business structure.

An 8 year warranty is good but if they go under in say 4 years the warranty is no good. If they’ve had the same business name for 7 years that’s a good thing. Most business’s that run into trouble simply change their name and start over.

Sounds like he left you the wrong brochure. These products are usually similar in price, so it was probably an honest mistake. While members of this board can argue the merits of different shingle manufacturers until blue in the face, I think that most would tell you that choosing the right contractor is more important than the brand of shingle that you choose (GAF, Tamco, Owens Corning, and Certainteed all have champions and detractors on this site). I recommend the following to help you choose a contractor:

Make sure to talk to at least three. A good contractor should educate you on the roofing process and explain the entire roofing system (not just shingles - leak barriers, flashing, ventilation, etc).

Make sure your contractor is licensed if it is required by your state.

Whether required by the state or not, insist that your contractor has general liability and worker’s comp insurance. He should be able to show you current certificates for both.

Ask for references and addresses of jobs that he has done near your home. The warranty that he provides for workmanship is no good if he is out of business next year. See how long he has been in business under the same name, look at some of his work, and talk to other customers.

Do not pull the permit for the work yourself. A legitimate contractor should be able to pull the permit (permits may not be required for roofing in your area).

Do not pay 100% of the cost of the roof before the work starts. Some contractors don’t require any money until the job is finished. Others require a portion upon signing the contract or on commencement of work. These are all legitimate ways to structure payment, but most legitimate contractors will not ask you to pay more than half up front (although I have seen some legitimate guys request 1/3 at contract signing and 1/3 upon commencement). The bottom line is that you need to have a decent portion of the job cost that you don’t pay until the job is complete. Otherwise, you have no leverage if you want something settled to your satisfaction before you consider the contractor’s work done.

Good contractors will make sure you are happy (within reason). We make money off of referrals.

As for price, it should not be the main factor in your decision. Many of the really low prices that I see in the field are from “contractors” who are not properly insured or licensed. This cuts down on their costs and lets them quote low numbers, but they seldom last long in the business. If you see leaks in a couple of years, the chances of tracking down these low-ballers are pretty slim. Also, a contractor who is willing to cut corners on the administration part of the business is probably willing to cut corners on the construction part as well. You want to keep yourself and your possessions dry. Make sure you can trust your contractor.
On the flip side, the highest price isn’t neccessarily the best. Again, weigh the options presented to you by a variety of contractors. Find the one that you are most comfortable with, check his references, insurance, etc, then deal with price.

As for your low-slope question, I prefer to use EPDM for low-slope applications. Again, educate yourself (listen to the contractors that give you quotes, check the manufacturer’s websites, etc) and find a product that makes you comfortable.

I know that the common perception is to “talk to 3 roofers”. Does anyone know why?

If you have too many bids/contractors it’s hard to remember what you liked and disliked about them. A good realtor will bring you to only so many houses in one day. This way you won’t be overwelmed and will be able at the end of the day to recall what you liked and disliked about them.

From my experience the home owner who get a ton of bids usually are looking for the lowest. If you get three bids more than likely at least one will be able to give you what you want. A friend of mine is really cheap and got some 20 bids to pave his drive. He had the tenacity to call the contractors he liked and tossed the low ball bids at them! I’ve had this happen to me before and at that time I try to educate them on how quality comes at a cost.

I’m pretty sure Arkansas is a little behind compared to the rest of the US and you don’t have to pull permits, I could be wrong. Perhaps in the larger towns you do though. There are some counties in MN that don’t require permits. I’ve roofed a million dollar house that didn’t require a permit and two half million dollar houses that didn’t require a permit. In these counties the only time you have to pull a permit for roofing is if the roof structure is altered.

Hi,

I like to use CertainTeed shingles. They would be a good choice for you to use. I would highly recommending going to www.certainteed.com Search for roofing contractors in your area. Find 3 contractors that are Certainteed Select Shingle roofing companies. This ensure you that the contractor has the State required insurance and workers compensation. it will ensure you that the contractor and there employees have read and studied Certainteed shingle application manuals.
Ask the Contractor’s to give you a price that includes Certainteed’s Sure Start Plus Warranty. You can choose different options that will warranty your roof for up to 15 years. This warranty will go on record with CertainTeed. This ensures that if you ever have a problem that CertainTeed will fix your roof. Even of the contractor who installed your roof is no longer in business.
By you choosing to use a Certainteed select shingle roofer it ensure’s you the following.

1. Certainteed requires these contractor’s to give them proof that they have been in business for 5 years.

2. Or that they have been a CertainTeed Shingle Master Compay for 1 year.

3. That 50% or more of there work force is certified as master shingle applicators including all job supervisors.

4. At least one employee is a current Shingle technology quality master and has attended Certainteed’s professional roofers advisory council meeting (PRAC meeting).

5. The contractor has shown proof of insurance and workers comp to CertainTeed.

This help ensure that you are hiring a Professional contractor to install your roof. CertainTeed has been in business for more than 100 years. In addition they make a product called flintastic that will work great on your low sloped roof. it will match the shingles in color and it can be covered under the same warranty.
    One last note I know others will say that other companies offer programs similiar to Certainteeds program. Which they do, However as a professional roofing contractor when I did my rersearch on who’s product shoudl I use I choose CertainTeed for several reason’s. They had the best research and devolopment which meant they made the best shingles. They had the best program to help contractors both large and small to promote and sell thier product. They had the best warranty for the consumer. They had the best customer service to service the customer after the install should a problem arise. They had strict guidelines for a contractor to become a CertainTeed select shingle. They are a great company that has made great products for more than 100 years.

Hope this helps good luck.

Thank you all for your replies. His contract did state Gaf & he told me he only uses that brand as if it were the best. I was surprised that the color sample he left for me to choose from was for another. I will take your collective advice and get get another bid. and go with who has provable insurance and references.

Is it possible to get a shingle roof that will stand up to occasional (once per year) hail?

Would a good roofer not replace all the felt?

Debra

Certainteed make an impact resistant shingle impact grade4.

Good roofing practice will replace any and all felt. If they dont how will the see the deck and inspect it. Call the insurance company up and make sure that the policy is still in effect. Hope that helps.

Here are some guidelines I provide to home owners who are unfamiliar with the decision making process in selecting a quality roofing contractor.

Ed

Roofing is Not Brain Surgery. There are many Wrong ways to roof a house. But…There is only…One “Right Wayâ€Â

Right on ed. Beats talking to 3 unknown quantities. ALso beats talking to a guy who talks GAF and then hands you TAMKO!

the better informed you are the better decisions
you make.
talk to as many local roofers you can.
then decided.

gweedo.

[quote=“gtp1003”]Certainteed make an impact resistant shingle impact grade4.

Good roofing practice will replace any and all felt. If they dont how will the see the deck and inspect it. Call the insurance company up and make sure that the policy is still in effect. Hope that helps.[/quote]

GAF/ELK also makes an impact resistant shingle. Why Certainteed all the time, they suck.

Why Certainteed all the time, they suck.

Thems fightin words kiddo. You got any proof to back that statement up or you just talking out the side of your face?

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]Why Certainteed all the time, they suck.

Thems fightin words kiddo. You got any proof to back that statement up or you just talking out the side of your face?[/quote]

Yes, did you forget about their wonderful Presidential TL adhesive bleed out problem. I’ve hit seven separate roofs and dealt with Certainteed seven separate times only to be ignored seven times. That is SEVEN people that paid for a high dollar product and had to tear it off. Trust me, I told them to go with a GAFELK product. Twenty calls per house just to get their inspector, (who is in training.) Seventy calls to the office after inspection, only to be told the guy is out. Then find out that they regret to inform me that Certainteed will not be working on these claims until the settlement is finished. These are good people, customers I like, that were stiffed about eighty grand total. I don’t support crap like that, nor do I support that company. BACK UP YOUR WORK! Now they claim to have fixed it and just recently a friend of mine at a different company had the same thing happen again, explain that! (It was not old product, he checked!)

I honestly haven’t heard of any Certainteed problems with the exception of the Horizon shingle. I’ve done quite a few Presidential TL installs (even though I hate them) and have yet to have a problem. You have any links I could read on those problems?

HI, DEBRA

Most shingle manufactures make an impact resistant shingle. I would also consider a stone coated metal shingle product called DECRA. www.DECRA.com It is a heavy gauge steel panel with stone granule on it that makes it look similiar to asphalt shingles. it is practically hail proof.

BTW if you do choose a impact resistant shingle notify your homeowners insurance company. Some companies offer premium discounts to homeowners that have these shingles.

These are some different ones.

lawyersandsettlements.com/fe … ngles.html

lawyersandsettlements.com/ca … PAodMl5zbA

I’ve got my supplier sending me some info on the retrofit for the Presidentials. I will have them posted by mid next week.

I knew that it was a matter of time before before the lawsuit mud started slinging.The Celotex purchase brought many problems for Certainteed. GAF will own all ELK’s future problems. Currently Certainteed has the best line of shingle products.

As I already stated.

“I honestly haven’t heard of any Certainteed problems with the exception of the Horizon shingle.”

Yet you post 2 links from the same site, niether of which has anything to do with the Presidential TL. Now, I’m not calling you a liar in regards to problematic Presidential TLs, that may or may not be true. But it’s obvious by your inability to quickly produce information on the subject that it’s not something you have researched or read about yourself but rather something you have heard and are parroting, which makes you nothing more than a sheep. I bet you didn’t even read the links you posted or you would have seen they were on the Horizon shingle.
I remain unimpressed by your googling efforts…Meester Sheepy Sir.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!11!!1!

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3757/dsci0192vv8.jpg