What are a Roofer's obligation

Hi,
I hired a local roofer, who was fairly established in my community. I told him that I needed a roof put on my house and he said he would do it for a certain price. After a few months, I discovered that the roof had not been ventilated properly which caused leaks. The house had vaulted ceilings and he apparently didn’t measure so didn’t know this.

When I contacted the roofer, he indicated that it was not his obligation to do anything other than nail the shingles and the leaking/damage was my problem. He also argued that I hadn’t provided him with my plans so how was he supposed to know what venting was required. But I didn’t know that he needed them and he never asked. He just sent over a bunch of kids that didn’t care about it at all.

Should he have vented it properly or is this my fault?

You’re not asking for legal advice on a roofing forum, are you? Or expecting neutrality from a community of roofers?

As a non-roofer, non-lawyer, homeowner (advice is worth what you pay for it), I believe it’s reasonable to expect a professional roofer to advise you on proper ventilation for the roof. This advice should come prior to writing up the contract for the job, which should specify what ventilation will be provided. If the roofer performed the work stated on the signed contract, he may have fulfilled his legal obligations to you (What do I know, you’re in a whole different country!). If the contract stated compliance to building codes, and as performed it violated them, you may have an argument against the roofer. Whether or not you have legal recourse against the roofer, you may have recourse through BBB, Chamber of Commerce, regulatory agencies, etc.

I’m interested in learning how inadequate ventilation causes leaks.

Hi,

It may be condensation not a leak.

Some roofers do not believe that ventilation is an issue. So they do not address it.

Some houses will do fine without any vents installed.

There are established roofing companys in my area, that do losy work. They get enough right to get referrals.

I am curious to the cause of the leaks myself.

Is gbuskirk stating that we cannot be impartial and fair? So presumptive.

I always address ventilation issues when bidding our residential work. I beleive it to be my responsibility as a professional roofing contractor.

I also know that to do a proper job in today’s roofing market, you will almost NEVER be the low bid, so we do not get most of the resi we bid on.

I too would be curious as to what the source of the leak is, and whether it is a leak or condensation. However, to answer your question, in my opinion a professional roofer should have addressed ventilation as part of his job. For him to say it isn’t his problem, would be like him removing asbestos and stating he didn’t comply with federal, state or local laws because you didn’t tell him your roof contained asbestos. Fact is, as a professional roofing contractor he should accept the burden of being the expert, and I believe most courts would put that burden on him. On the other hand, I’m not an attorney and I don’t live in Canada, so take my advice for what it is worth. I can tell you that as a consultant we have the roofs tested for asbestos, though not as much as we used to when everything had to be abated with air-monitoring, and we did it to protect our interests as well as the roofing contractor and building owner.

I would have to guess that this would be condinsation. But i could be wrong. There is to much un answered or asked for that matter.IF you would please give us the dimensions of your home length and width and a few pictures of the roof so we can better understand how much the roof is underventilated. As far as him being responsible, technically he is but unless the state and city you live in has building codes enforced it will be hard to prove hime wrong. Many roofing companies do not know how to properly ventilate a home, they just know shingles. Sadly if the home is not ventilated properly there is a viod in your warranty form the shingle maker. This means there is no warranty on the shingles. I would call the city and see if a permit was needed to do this roof and if so how did the inspector let this go with such little ventialtion.

often on this site have i heard that leaks are caused by poor ventalation.
POPEECOCK!!!
ill be back later to elaborate.

gweedo.

I gotta hear this its gonna be a good one i feel.

sorry i got a little excited , but i just dont buy the old " your roof is leakin cause it not ventilated properly".
the only thing an unvented attic ,down here, is get alot hotter.
just aint buyin it.

gweedo.

in colder climates condensation will form with out proper ventilation.

especially if the home has a hyper active humidifier working full time.poppycock my ass!!

i forgot about that one. Who here has seen an attic raining? LOL thats funny.

i have!!!

if you see black joists or decking its wet!!!thats mold. it grows in WET conditions.

allrite ill give in on this one .
yall got some freaky mold, condisatin hell attics,goin on up there.
i beleive it.
ive seen the amittyville horror.

i dont want to know any more.
its not good for my happy peacefull roofin mind.

gweedo.

In cases where condensation is an issue, I agree with Gweedo. poppycock.

If condensation is the issue, why would any “roofer” say it is condensation causing roof leaks? Gweedo is dead-on.

[quote=“brutus”]Hi,
I hired a local roofer, who was fairly established in my community. I told him that I needed a roof put on my house and he said he would do it for a certain price. After a few months, I discovered that the roof had not been ventilated properly which caused leaks. The house had vaulted ceilings and he apparently didn’t measure so didn’t know this.

When I contacted the roofer, he indicated that it was not his obligation to do anything other than nail the shingles and the leaking/damage was my problem. He also argued that I hadn’t provided him with my plans so how was he supposed to know what venting was required. But I didn’t know that he needed them and he never asked. He just sent over a bunch of kids that didn’t care about it at all.

Should he have vented it properly or is this my fault?[/quote]

this is an uncommon problem and most contractors have never heard of this. It is condensation from moisture trying to vent and turning back into water at the highest point. The contractor is only responsible for the specifications of the contract. Just hire the contractor to install vent ridge caps, not near as expensive as legal action

I disagree with the last statements. It is the roofers obligation to properly install and ventilate the roof. Yes the contract states what he must do. But following local and state building codes along with the man. specs is what he should be doing. I have seen too many homes without the proper ventilation become a home that has a waterfall in the attic. The man. specs state proper ventilation to ensure warranty. The codes states proper ventliation. I guess its a morals thing but i feel it is the repsosiblitity of the company installing the roof to make sure all aspecs of the roof is done correctly. As far as saying condinsation is the cause, i have no clue i have not seen the home. Condinsation is not a leak it is a byproduct of a mistinstalled roofing system. If you have seen as many as i have like this you would also say it but not everyone sees the same types of problems.

thanks AaronB,

ive dealt with alot of condinsation problems, and most of the time they are caused by a/c duct problems, blowin cold air into the attic, or sweating themselves. i guess it doesnt get cold enough , long enough here were im at to cause condisation in the attic itself.
roofs down here will work without any ventalation at all.

learnin all the time.

gweedo.

I agree with gtpe 100%. It is not a roof leak, but the byproduct of a misinstalled roofing system, or an excessively humid home which was never addressed at the time of re-roof.