Wet bundles on roof

Hello! My first post:

The supplier of the ELK 40yr Prestige shingles delivered them to my house and placed them on the roof. I went up and check the wrapper to make sure I got what I paid for (I did). I noticed on the bundle wrapper (brown paper) it said “do not get wet.” Of course it rained that night :roll: What is that warning all about!?! These are shingles–they are going to get wet! Did something get screwed up now? Have any of you noticed this warning on the bundle before? Thanks for your comments.

If your shingles are packaged in “brown paper” I would assume the don’t get wet refers to the packaging rather than the shingle, so the packaging still looks decent enough by the time it gets to the end user.

Hi,

They should not be stored wet over an extended period of time.

Moisture will be absorbed into the shingle if they lay in water. This will start to break down the shingle.

When you see shingles blistered. This is because water was absorbed into the shingle from the underside. Then the heat of the sun turns the moisture to steam.

Hi,

What happened to you is not a problem.

once the wrappers get wet they suck to carry. they open and flop around not somthing you want on a ladder. like you said they are going to get wet.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

They should not be stored wet over an extended period of time.

Moisture will be absorbed into the shingle if they lay in water. This will start to break down the shingle.

When you see shingles blistered. This is because water was absorbed into the shingle from the underside. Then the heat of the sun turns the moisture to steam.[/quote]

This is why I’m losing faith in Owens Corning. They wrap their bundles in plastic. Everyone seems to store OC and Tamko products outside because of this. Most of the shingles I pull out of the bundles are partially wet. I lay them in the sun face down for a couple of minutes to dry the corners. I’m glad they are not blistering like you said. I wouldn’t recommend OC at this point. If I had it to do over, I would have looked at different products.