Water through the tarp

In the attic last night and can find some water on some boards which means my tarp is no longer completly doing its job. I suspect moving straping and going through strapping leaving some previous holes instead of always the same ones, a few of us tightened the tarps down.

So what are the realities of having some wet boards and is there a way to dry them out, I realize at this time of the year compared to the summer this is not easy, summer just uncover and sun would dry it quickly.

Thanks,

Warren

Wood plank roof deck that is tarped on the topside?

If that is the case, and you have cold weather, then you need to somehow heat your attic if you want to dry out the boards. I’d suggest something like a kerosene space heater if it weren’t for the fire hazzard (you’d have to babysit the heater 100 percent of the time), and I don’t suppose you have a heat gun. So, I’m not going to suggest how you heat up the attic, just that if it is important to you that the boards are dry that you need to heat it up to promote evaporation of the moisture.

Now, if you are talking about something else, disregard this post and let me know what it is you really are asking.

I do have a heat gun but it is a small heat gun and this is a big roof. I could see heating in the attic maybe I just realize now this is a tarped home that does not breath and now there is wood that is damp and ice and water and roofers select are to go on and so this has an impact on that.

Next week looks like a few days are sunny so if it was open one day maybe that would be enough air movement, the next day looks good the roofer tells me two weeks to two months, I can’t live with that.

Warren

I was perusing this thread and thought to myself “Self, how wet can warren’s boards possibly be? Is warren’s roof a shingle type of roof? If indeed it is, then tell warren not to fret. The boards will dry out. Ask Lefty.”

Then I started typing.

warren, 3 months & almost 100 posts…why is your roof not shingled yet? :smiley:

first time all takes longer, was ready early this week and the guy I want to do it is massively busy as all seem to be but he is the detail guy from our conversatiions that seemed right. Others are way busy as well.

As far as all the posts well never a shortage of questions with me. I just want to understand as well as I can, maybe I am a bit slow.

I do the same with all my customers when I work for them. Didn’t bother Sony or Disney or John Candy flying me to LA to build furniture for him what they care about is the end result.

I asked alot of questions of the last people I worked for, when the job is done they feel good cause they had a ton of input into the whole design, material selection to finishing etc. If you asked them if I asked alot of questions they would say yes for sure, if you asked them if they hired the right guy to do the work they would say yes for sure.

I got a ton of flack from lots of people even the old master for how I was approaching this, we had our first argument in 25 years and I have more respect for that man than anyone I have ever met. Last time he came by he just smiled.

Some I would do different and I doubt I will ever get into a home with all of the defects here, maybe different ones, Murphy follows me close by.

When I get done with some more questions then i will ask the one about whats life all about?

Sawdust

[quote=“Warren”]

When I get done with some more questions then i will ask the one about whats life all about?

Sawdust[/quote]

Lmao finally i felt like posting …

Life is very good and i am sure it will get better for you soon also .

Lol @ :

Wood plank roof deck that is tarped on the topside?

If that is the case, and you have cold weather, then you need to somehow heat your attic if you want to dry out the boards. I’d suggest something like a kerosene space heater if it weren’t for the fire hazzard (you’d have to babysit the heater 100 percent of the time), and I don’t suppose you have a heat gun. So, I’m not going to suggest how you heat up the attic, just that if it is important to you that the boards are dry that you need to heat it up to promote evaporation of the moisture.

Lol thats why i stopped posting here even a Tarp question has to get technical . I would not go so fancy about it . If you want your boards dry then tarp it better . If you have bad weather that is . Otherwise just wait till the next sunny days and do all the dryin you can .Replacing damaged ones.

Ok guys hope youre all good .

BTW this has nothing to do with cerberus at all he knows his stuff .

I just saw that regular simple roofers like me are out of our leagues here .

sup Q.

gweedo

if you really want dry boards roof it

That would naturally be the best solution. But hey, he asked how to dry out his wet wood deck, so I gave him an option.

Do not put a kerosene lantern in the attic!!!

Thank you, sanroof. I did not want to be the first to say something… because if I did, I would be accused of hating.

he is not a roofer and he’s up in the frozen tundra of canada. and he’s picky. Hey Warren, I blame myself for this, I saw a post where you said you had it tarped and I was going to say that I’ve seen tarps leak, but I didnt. Sorry buddy. The boards will be fine though, I think.

Warren is not picky. HE wants to make sure it is a proper job, and is his first time. I like to work for people that like it to be right…even if they do watch you like a hawk. :slight_smile:

I agree with Aaron and by looking at the photos that the had sent me hes doing a very nice job. I think the roof boards will dry out and all will be ok for you.

you interpreted my statement wrong. to me, picky isnt necessarily an insult. maybe I should have used the word particular.

Well had to dissapear a bit to get through this adventure, sometimes when I talk Murphy gets involved so wanted to be able to say it is done.

Drying the roof was easy. I left the tarp on and mother nature gave me one or two days with sun, presto. Now with 4 or five nice days in a row the roof was completed today.

The owner came thursday with one guy, I got to work with them which was what I wanted, then he had two today. I like the shingle hatchet, my left was no ballarina but I would think about a week of that and it would get the sorting and spinning down. I thought my roof was pretty bouncey but they said no it was a really good roof. Expeciallly compared to thin plywood or the OSB junk.

I like the hatchet and the large head though seems like it is a bit heavier than needed for driving those nails. Nails were put in the 1/2 Strip where the shingle is double.

Grace 9" first wrapped down the facia, Extended C style drip as that is what I had purchased, then grace then another grace then some Winterguard then Roofers select to the top,

Shingles were started with a chalk line which I would not have done, for me to get the overhang I wanted I would do it by eye, the overhang was a bit more than I wanted and part of that reason is the line varies a bit and maybe the shingles as well. Very minor stuff just that since I did make the home so straight the drip could be pulled in flush and it was a staight reference line from end to end.

A gaggle of Certainteed Landmark 30 Heatherblend, Shingle Vent II up on the ridge.

I had searched around to find vents that looked decent out of metal for a bathroom fan and a Kitchen range hood fan, ended up primering those and painting them to match. The roofer fastened them with matching screws with rubber washers they are from metal roofs which was a nice touch. He helped me locate both of those and also a roof vent for the garage as the Ridge sort of ended where the garage started.

The black caulking at the ends was covered with granuals to dissapear, he snapped lines every four rows from side to side, lines for caps, built a new very nice quality flashing for the chimney and just did a very professional job, cleaned up nice, nothing was damaged. It is a pretty crisp looking job.

Next new eves in honour of all this work and money rather than the old stuff just seems to make sense it is all freshed up at the same time.

You guys pointed me to Certainteed, the supplier gave me a few names of
roofers and this one was the right one. Five or six people have stopped while I was rebuilding the roof and asked me to be involved in some fashion when they get their roofs done after the winter. I have all the photos and they can see what was done then do what is sensible from there. This was too extreme for most people and probably me as well however I learned a bit of what it is about and can back off on the next one to whatever is right.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for your time and help and guidance, it is very much appreciated.

Sawdust

No problem Warren we are glad to help. Glad to hear your roof is finnaly done.

ditto gtp1003,

gweedo