Water dripping from Nails that protrude into attic

Hello First post. I have a roof that is 10 years old GAF Timberline 25. Every nail chisel tip in the attic is dripping. Not sure why. The nail chisel tips are rusted? Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also my wife had the roof done before we married. I noticed that they installed 4 roof vents but did not cut them out. Could the roof have “cooked” itself in 8 years like that?
Thanks for your help.
Mark

Happens all the time…With energy costs soaring, many people tend to seal up all attic ventilation thinking this will help save $…
…If you house is typical framed up type and you have a roof which is not flat then the following steps should be taken to alleviate this problem:
#1 hopefully you have some venting type soffitting along the eaves of your house- go outside look up at the eaves and see if you do and if you do then go up into the attic and pull back all that insulation that is probably stuffed up along the eave end perimeters so that air can enter the attic from the outside …
#2 next open up any side wall louvers in the attic that may have been closed -if you have these they will be most probably located near the ridge in the attic
#3 Have holes cut for those roof vents of yours so as to let air ventilate your attic
There is always more which can be done but if you follow these simple steps things should resolve…
…HOWEVER…If You have a flat roof or have insulation set between the roof rafters themselves…let me know…this is a different scenario and I can discuss remedy for this situation with you if it should exists…

I did cut out the vent openings about 2 years ago. I also have gable end vents - opened. I have very little insulation and it is a peaked roof. I am wondering if this could be caused due to no felt paper being used or the fact that the roof cooked for 8 years.
Thanks

also no insulation between the rafters. Just exsposed 1 x 6 sheathing.
Thanks

gtp,Axiom,marshall?

you are getting condensation due to improper insulation & ventilation mixed. when you cut the holes out a few years ago you changed the balance of the venting system. try to get some pics of the inside of your attic and a few from different angles out side and post them on here. if you give us those with the square footage of the attic (width x length) we can probably tell you what to do to balance the system.

just as a test, stuff the roof vents (not the gable vents) to block them temporarily and see what this does to the condensation, i'm willing to bet that they are doing reverse induction (acting as intake instead of exhaust) because you have them mixed with gable end vents. hence you are sucking moisture into the attic at a faster rate than it can be expelled.

I think Marshall Nailed it.

How old is your house and where are you located?
You mentioned 1 x 6 sheeting so I am guessing it is an older home.

Thanks for all your replies. My house was built in 1942. Ferndale Michigan. We went from 20 degrees to 68 over night. The attic is not typical, it could have been made into a bungalow. I would estimate about 950 square feet. Also has a high ceiling in the attic. I see I do have some real leaks that are running down the rafters. The reason I am so concerned is that I have plans to make it into a 3rd bedroom, and dont want any leaks. I will post photos tomorrow.

marshall

Are you saying that the gable vents are drawing air from the roof vents?

" hence you are sucking moisture into the attic at a faster rate than it can be expelled."

How is that possible? I mean in our world where we have things like atmospheric pressure, gravity, and laws of physics.

vender,

Just how little insulation is in your attic?

[quote]Are you saying that the gable vents are drawing air from the roof vents?

" hence you are sucking moisture into the attic at a faster rate than it can be expelled."

How is that possible? I mean in our world where we have things like atmospheric pressure, gravity, and laws of physics.

vender,

Just how little insulation is in your attic?[/quote]

Well I will have to go with Marshall on this.
This poster has gone against the entire concept of ventilation many times.
This poster obviously has no concept of how ventilation works, in a cold climate…
Or how important it can be.
Do some research and find out for your self.

[quote=“dennis”]marshall

Are you saying that the gable vents are drawing air from the roof vents?

vender,

Just how little insulation is in your attic?[/quote]

dennis i have never responded to one of your " Im the only one in the world that understands ventilation and you are all idiots" posts before but i saw first hand this week what happens when you mix vents!!! bad news. not trying to be a jerk or bash you but…i think your ventilation advice could cause someone serious harm.

and what the heck does gravity have to do with anything except it will make you fall off a roof? :slight_smile:

It is also important to mention guys that you should check for voids in the attic floor insulation.Like a uninsulated hatch cover,walk up stairs with uninsulated door,bathroom exaust that is not connected,areas where insulatin has been moved. the whole attic floor should be insulated but there should be a space at the eaves to allow for the soffitts to vent. Doses the house have a humidifier ?

Please reply to Step #1…Do you have an overhang on the eaves with soffit venting???

No I do not have any soffit vents.

Axiom was this directed to me? Vender?
“Well I will have to go with Marshall on this.
This poster has gone against the entire concept of ventilation many times.
This poster obviously has no concept of how ventilation works, in a cold climate…
Or how important it can be.
Do some research and find out for your self.”

Did I say something to offend? I apologize if I did. Anyway, I have posted pictures at my website.
wideopenwest.com/~mindalaf/

I see I have 3 vapor barriers. This cant be good can it? So what is the proper way to vent this space. It is a high ceiling, no soffit vents, 4 roof vents and gable end vents. It is a small house. I was thinking about taking out all the old insulation and barriers and start fresh? Also this house was built with “Button Board” ceilings and I am starting to see lines all over I am guessing this may have something to do with the insulation, any thoughts? Again thanks for all your help.

Hello again,
Yes the house has a humidifier connected to the furnace. No exhaust fans and no venting at the soffits, insulation is just crammed into the space.

No it definitely was not.
I do not mean to be offensive to anybody here, I am trying to help.
I apologize to any that I have offended.

I have seen the results of poor/nonexistent ventilation many times.
It can be rather dramatic, or subtle, the evidence is there if you know what to look for.
It can usually be fixed.

There is a lot of good information here and some very knowledgeable people that are willing to take time out of their day to help.
We do not agree on everything, even the basics…

Vender,

The first thing you need to do is pull back the insulation from the soffit area and have some soffit venting installed.

This is what you need to do.

I just looked at the pictures you posted and it appears as though you have no ventilation to speak of.
This is common on older homes, but yours looks like a relatively simple fix.

Install soffit vents, rafter vents, get rid of the pot vents and put a continuous ridgevent on and it should work very well.
If you do not want to disturb your roof you may keep the existing pot vents, they will work but they are not ideal.
I can’t really tell by the pictures but it looks as though you don’t have much of an overhang at the eaves.
How much overhang do you have at the eaves?
You need an intake at the eaves, how you achieve this depends upon how your home is built.

The roof has a ten year warranty and the roofing guy just showed up. What he said and I did, was to cover the gable end vents. He also recommended that I cut in some soffit vents. I did not do the soffits yet. Should I wait until spring to do the soffits? Thanks for all your knowledge. You all have been very helpful. This is how I learn, I pick your brain.
Mark

“dennis i have never responded to one of your " Im the only one in the world that understands ventilation and you are all idiots” posts before but i saw first hand this week what happens when you mix vents!!! bad news. not trying to be a jerk or bash you but…i think your ventilation advice could cause someone serious harm. "

I’ve never called anyone an idiot. I think you are all pretty damn good roofers. Just a little misinformed about the ventilation issue.

Now, in every post concerning “short circuiting” of the ventilation, you insist that the roof vents are drawing air from the gable vents. Now, you are saying that the gable vents are drawing air from the roof vents.
So, what makes this case different?

vender, you should also have the soil stack and chimney flashing checked.