Was thinking of changing to Slate Roofing

Hi guys, new here. Was wondering with your professional opinions were on natural slate roofing. We currently have cedar but looking for the durability and cosmetic looks of slate. Has anyone heard of CUPA slate? A local company in our area has this and was wondering your opinions on it. Appreciate in advance to your replies.

Never heard of cupa slate but after watching some youtube videos I think it is an awful (like gaf truslate) idea!!! Its not a slate roof, it is a plastic roof with some fancy slate decorations on top!!! This is the only non traditional type of slate roof I would ever actually use in the real world (but would still prefer the old fashioned way). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctLm-pzKPQM

Thanks for replying. The CUPA slate is Natural Stone Slate from Spain actually.

Yes the slate is natural but the plastic strip used underneath is not. That is why I call it a plastic roof. Once that fails so does your roof. Is this a real inquiry or are you here to promote cupa slate?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa6y0VkahJg The long black plastic strip is what actually keeps the water out, the slate is just decoration in systems like this.

Actually after doing a bit more research I now see that was only one type of instillation of cupa slate. My apologies. While the slates look a bit on the thin side if they are installed in either of these manors I have no major issues with them. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0n6qE9epZ4

We’ve done several traditional 3" double head lap / direct nail Cupa slate jobs in Houston. It’s a pretty good slate and have had no problems with the product. Consistent cleaving and no sloughing.

We’ve never used it with a hook system similar to GAF Truslate; although we have installed a handfull of GAF Truslate jobs.

Believe it or not, the Truslate system has fared pretty well through 2 hurricanes. I don’t particularly care fo Truslate and, in the end, it will cost more that a tradtional slate roof but it has worked.

Yeah I agree that truslate should stand up to storms but what happens when the u.v. breaks down the plastic strip keeping the water out?

I hear you. On all of the jobs we have used Truslate on we have a base layer of Grace HT with a cover sheet of Titanium UDL 30 and then the stainless hook strips with the polyethylene UV sheets (per specs). The polyethylene sheets are the same product used to wrap weather-exposed telephone lines and are pretty much impervious to UV rays.

A few of the Truslate jobs we’ve done in the burning hot and never resting TX sun are over 10 years old and have never failed.

As previously noted, I still prefer traditional slating.

Well I know there have been new systems that failed before the 10 yr mark so at least thats something lol. I suppose I would install it too if the customer absolutely insisted on it. I just don’t get why you would pay more for an unproven system (truslate) than one that has been one of the best roofing systems in history (real slate installed the traditional way).

Slate and Cedar both are excellent as they both can withstand extreme behaviors and moisture. Though cedar being wood-based could be prone to termite attack and not much fire resistant. So if slate you are choosing, its a good choice. No never heard before about cupa slate

I’ve replaced slate roofs all around the country for ~15yrs. Listen to the majority and stay away from CUPA/TruSlate, etc type of systems. I’ve installed both. I installed TruSlate back when it was called Slate 2.0 in New Orleans. That roof is still doing ok but back then the cost was a lot less and the option made sense economically. After acquisitions and material costs increases over the years its just not worth it anymore. You can have a good ol’ traditional slate roof for the same price. Why would anyone ever have a plastic dependent roofing system when you can have traditional stone for the same cost? If the framing of your roof isn’t sufficient to support the weight of the traditional slate roof (slate is ~950lbs per sq) then you may need to have the roof framing reinforced to carry the load. Unless that cost is very high, slate would still be my choice. Oh and if you go with slate please don’t let inexperienced installers on your job. Salesmen and managers will tell you everything you want to hear but then they’ll send a asphalt shingle crew to your house with one guy on the crew that “has done slate before”. It’s all the little things learned from years of installing slate that add up to a well-built, professionally installed slate roof that will last 100+ years. Headlap, copper flashings and nails, nail placement, bib flashes, cant strips, color mixing/blending, proper ventilation, etc…