Wanting to start a roofing company in Texas. Question

I want to start a roofing company in Texas and am wanting to know the legal part of the business.

Basically I want to know what information (“fine print on back of contracts?”) must I include when I present a proposal/contract, or estimate. I want to do something that looks professional …

Is there any guidelines/template I must follow etc. ?

Thanks for the help, tried a quick search but got discouraged by the amount of information.

Regards,
Mike

ahh… sorry noticed i posted this in the wrong forum

Customers also get discouraged with too much info.Just write the price on the back of a business card.

On the back of a business card?Why not just use a napkin? :roll:

Any office supply sells proposals, however you will have to be real good to handle the roofing end, estimating, and the buisness end, they are all full time jobs. Do you know any of them?

Thanks bushhog, will look into it. And yes I’ve been working in roofing since I was 15 (mainly with flashing, roof leak repairs, and finish ups), can estimate sq. by sight, but just the buisness end that I will have questions with; especially the legal stuff. Anyways anyother input will be appriciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Did almost all my work on a handshake for 18 years. When my oldest son came to work with me, he started to give everyone a contract.

I still do work on a handshake.

I can’t stress enough to have an attorney (official scumbags) look over your contract. In Texas there are several statements required by state law to be on your contract and they must be placed strategically, to the signature. If not, you can get screwed by the other sides tough, smart lawyer.

thats some of the worst advice i have ever seen on this forum!! :shock:

[quote=“marshall exteriors”]

thats some of the worst advice i have ever seen on this forum!! :shock:[/quote]

Ditto that

smkr4lf …where in texas are you located?

I agree with marshall exteriors. That does NOT work very well.

Estimating by sight is good as long as you use your sight with a tape measure!

I think Tarface’s reply was tongue in cheek.
Me?? No clue what to have on a contract. Wrote 3-4 estimates in past 2 years.

Invoices, I’m good at.

[quote=“Jayman931”]

Estimating by sight is good as long as you use your sight with a tape measure![/quote]

I agree, I almost missed this one , only had 1 bundle left over. The last job was 2 bundles short and shingles had went up 13.00 a square, It wouldn’t take many squares to get in your pocket.

When I was at ABC supply, some guy missed a job by 15 square, not sure how that could happen. He must have did a drive by at 60 mph.

Everyone wants to be a roofer after a hurricane, because they think they can get rich off of the unfortunate ones.

While that statement will be true for some people, there is nothing wrong with capitalizing on an opportunity.

[quote=“RidgeWalker”]

While that statement will be true for some people, there is nothing wrong with capitalizing on an opportunity.[/quote]

Capitalizing on an opportunity is alright, seizing an opportunity to take advantage of those in distress is not. I just hope the poster has a bad sense of timing, and isn’t planning on going out and taking advantage of hurricane victims.