Ventilation system

What are your main two choices in a house lacking intake and outake vents ??

as far as intakes plus outtakes …

what is the sytem you trust more ??

I notice everyone has their own systems … What about flat roofs ?? what ventilation do you preffer in flat roofs also ??

With regard to shingles roofs, I generally prefer the soffit vents and ridge vents. I will say, however, that my roofing expertise is not rooted in sloped shingle roofs, and that I’ve learned a few things about venting shingle roofs in my time spent here. Thanks guys!

With regard to low-sloped roofs, how would you want to ventilate them? I suppose you could utilize an acoustic ceiling with the space between the deck and ceiling used as a plenum for the building’s climate control system. Although, I don’t really consider that to be venting the roof. Are you talking about moisture relief vents? If so, those things are pretty much useless unless installed directly over an area where moisture is known to exist. Even then, I’ve seen more leaks caused by failed/damaged moisture relief vents than I’ve seen benefits from their use.

You know my veiws on this subject Q so im not going to type it all out kinda still on vacation and all.

yup… lemme see if i know you right GT…

“there is nothing better then continuos soffit ventilattion and ridge vent” :smiley:

[quote=“QRFL”]yup… lemme see if i know you right GT…

“there is nothing better then continuos soffit ventilattion and ridge vent” :D[/quote]

I totally agree!

IM starting to recant the ridge vent. They use cheap stuff where i work.

gtp1003,

We have decided to go with GAF Camelot shingles and ridge vents. What brand or kind of vents do you suggest and how do you figure out how many soffit vents a house needs? It seems by the estimate that will be installing about 37 sq and 60’ of ridge vents. The company is suggesting Elk ridge vents. I’m sure there are many suggestions and I’m looking forward to hearing about them.

I didn’t mean to hi-jack the thread but didn’t want to start another one for basically the same question.

Thanks,

Jeff

I want to use either air vents SHingle vent II or GAF snow country. Using the GAF shingles i would use their product. I would need the length and width of your home and any dormers reverse gables anything that is there basically a blueprint of the home to say if it is the min. they are using not enought or more than enough. If you email me the blueprint of the home it needs to be close i will repsond with the corrct numbers.

I’m not sure if we have the blueprint of the house but I will check. I’ll send mearuments to you if I can’t find any prints. Please let me know your e-mail and I’ll send them tonight.

I also was concerned about the roofer stating they were going to use the Elk vents with the GAF shingles. I didn’t know if this was common or not.

Thanks,
Jeff

The elk vents are cheaper thats why he wants to use them. I wouldnt use them on anything but some guys look at a price. I would insist on the gaf snow country or shingle vent II from air vent. Go and measure the outside of the home and let me know what you come up with.

gtp1003,

Thank you for your help on this. I’m learning as I go. The meaurment on the outside is 53’ wide by 37’ deep. I also measured the main space in the attic and it is 53’ wide but is only 20 feet deep. These is a section over the great room that contians the extra 17’. The house is a 1 1/2 story with a 12/12 pitch along the whole front and the back is much different.

I also noticed in the attic all the side 2x6s go up to a center 2x6 like this /l\ . What is the proper way for them to cut the ridge and how far down each side should they go? I would think you would want to be careful not to cut into the frames to make the fatagued. Do you ever put intake vents in the side of the house? I could really only see where one could install soffit on the front where it would make a difference.

I’m sure I’ve made this clear as mud but thank you again for all your help and time on this.

Jeff

With that amount of ridge vent you will have to have 18 soffit vents to mkae it balanced. They have more than enough ridge vent 30 feet is the min. and they have doubled that. They must also double the soffit vents. The true for you home min. is 8.40 round up and there you go. Make sure that the correct amount of soffit vents are used or you will have some issues with condensation because the ridge vent will just not work properly. Also make sure that when the vents are installed that the insulation is not blocking the hole for the vent. installing baffles will work if you have alot of insulation but the estimator that came out should have looked in your attic for this before just throwing up some ridge vent. ANy other questions drop me a line. Hope this helps.

Sorry I must of hit the button twice

Hi,

That section over the great room may not have an air flow all the way through to the ridge.

In that situation I put intake in the middle of the roof. My case this was a garge so I did not need exhaust. So the Smart Vent you see is the intake.

http://community.webshots.com/album/402358923

This is how I exhaust against a head wall.

http://community.webshots.com/album/551399123KTWVwu

I hadn’t heard of this system. I think it may be better if I inculde some pictures to give a better judgement of what needs/should be done for the correct system. We live in Kansas so we will go from one extreme to the other and we can also get some very strong straight winds during storms so please keep this in mind for suggestions.

We plan to replace the wood shake with GAF Camelot and I can’t thank everyone for their help. I’m learning many things I need to be aware of and asking.

Jeff

[quote=“maverickks”]I hadn’t heard of this system. I think it may be better if I inculde some pictures to give a better judgement of what needs/should be done for the correct system. We live in Kansas so we will go from one extreme to the other and we can also get some very strong straight winds during storms so please keep this in mind for suggestions.

We plan to replace the wood shake with GAF Camelot and I can’t thank everyone for their help. I’m learning many things I need to be aware of and asking. Jeff[/quote]

I looked and the only vent (intake) I saw are on the ends and it doesn’t appear they even go into the attic :shock:

Here are the links please let me know what you think
http://members.cox.net/maverickks/P8160018.JPG Back SW corner
http://members.cox.net/maverickks/P8160022.JPG Back NW corner
http://members.cox.net/maverickks/P8160020.JPG Front East
http://members.cox.net/maverickks/P8160021.JPG Front NE corner
http://members.cox.net/maverickks/P8160024.JPG Attic North end looking South
http://members.cox.net/maverickks/P8160026.JPG Attic Center looking west over great room

Thank you again for all the help

If you do not have intake ridge vent will not work. As far as using other types of vents for intakes im not sold on that and well would opt out of using ridge vent on a home like yours looking at the pictures. If you have snow and ice that vent lefty is talking about might not work. I would run the 150 rule and double the exhaust and use cans rather than ridge vent on this style of home. Some guys will use other options for intake, but on your home i more than likely would not. Also with a ridge beam there you will have to cut the slot for the ridge vent to 1 3/4 per side and im not a fan of that.

My concern is your estimator has not said a word about soffit vents or any intake for that matter. Is he using anything for this? Is he using a metal valley for those shingles??

nice looking place :smiley:

[quote=“gtp1003”]
My concern is your estimator has not said a word about soffit vents or any intake for that matter. Is he using anything for this? Is he using a metal valley for those shingles??[/quote]

gtp1003,
That is why I feel this is such an awesome site!!! It is a blessing I’ve found it and has helped me with much knowledge. I’ve been the one asking the questions rather than him telling me but I’ve seen some of his their work and I’ve been pretty impressed. Yes, it is my understanding the metal valley will be replaced with the new roof.

I didn’t know if I could put some vents out the N & S sides just above the 1st roof line shown in “Back NW corner” picture or replace some or all the can vents with a blower type cans. I also didn’t know if there was a side vent that had an adjustable fan attached to it. I was also wondering about the ridge beam. I thought this would be a pretty good size gap on each side.

fettycan,
Thanks for the comments as you can see we are also getting it ready for paint prior to installing the roof. This is why I would like to get vent system prior to doing everything.

Please keep the information coming, I’m learning so much.

:lol:

You should not use gable vents with ridge vent. The air will not flow to the bottom of the roof killing the circulation and causing hot spots on the roof. Some guys do that but when a company that just makes vents tells me otherwise i wont do it. My concern is without an intake how is the ridge vent going to work. Email me your phone number and i will call you and help you understand. typing one handed kinda messed up my right hand today.