Under bid job

To make along story short went out on a repair sold it. Me and the custumer were just talking he asked me how much for a whole roof i gave him the price he called back said he wanted to go with a New roof not the repair anyway i started the job it is 20sq bigger than i thought alot hips valley and it is a life time shingle would i be out of line asking the cutomer for more money he really good guy i feel really bad but if i dont i will lose money on the job and even at a price increae its still getting great deal

Its hard not to be a d!ck to you.

Tell him you messed up, and that you will eat the labor if he pays for the material…leson learned…

dont want to sound like a dikk but… i will. if you mess up that bad, you shouldnt be roofing (or at least not estimating) that is a mistake my laborers wouldnt even make. 20 square is a whole house!! what are you roofing? an apartment complex?

tell him RICHARDLEWIS is going to come down and finish the job.

twenty square is way off, good luck

James

I would have to do a drive-by at 60 mph to miss one by 20 squares.I assume he has a contract,be honest and tell him you didn’t measure the roof and there is a 20 square difference ,there’s just no way you can do the job for that price.Now,how long have you been roofing?

Always measure your roofs.I roofed a house a few years ago after a hail storm for a rather old roofing company and was 8 squares short.Well they had already roofed that house just a few years prior and pulled the estimate from the computer.I was in trouble ,the salesman thought I was stealing and was there pulling a tape on the roof within 15 minutes.The homeowner had added an 8 square garage that tied into the house and didn’t spot it.So it dosen’t pay to be lazy and pull numbers off the computer either.

I see adjusters short from time to time. One job this year the adjuster was 8.5sq over and on another over 11sq over, different adjusters. Just got the go-ahead on one that the adjuster was short close to 3sq.

20sq’s short? You’re kidding right?

seriously the omly time im off enough to say so is if its a 14/12 pitch with 20 dormers and 80 valleys (kinda hard to even measure them).

BushHog, yours has to be the best response yet 'cause I was thinking the same thing about a drive by.

Plus, the co. not believing you on the size you measured was very interesting.

Back to the OP. Really, we have to know - did you just eyeball it or did you make a measurement @ all?

On a somewhat related sidebar, check this sketch:

I did this inspection today (hail claim on… you guessed it, AllState) & missed the measurements going UP & OVER on the hipped sections. I DID get the hips & ridges, but not the up slope digits.

I’m figuring a calc x 1.16 & this gives me around 36.77 off, 42.28 on.

Do y’all think this figure is right?

One last question; two of the 4 PVC pipes through the roof (AutoCaulk / 3-in-1’s) have chipped edges on the top… I’m thinking that maybe they were 90% cut & then someone got rushed & snapped the rest of them apart making this chip?

Neglected to mention: 7:12 pitch.

Never Ever do “Ball Park Prices”

Well similar problem happened to me this year. i was 8.75 square off. I let the customer know i was off and well worked it out where they paid half of the missing money at cost. I still walked away with 800 in cash when it was all done and said with. Be honest with your customer, you would be surprised. It seems to happen on 50 year roofs for some reason to me. Dont know why. Ah well gotta go look for work Good day guys.

You should have 1 bundle left over. After you roof it let me know. = )

Without the up and over measurements its like a hog looking at a wristwatch to me .I could have put you 1 square over to allow for a bad bundle or two stabbed by the forklift or something.

For what its worth I’m saying 39 squares with 1 bundle ,15 shingles ,and 2 tabs left over.But I’m probally wrong.

Don’t forget to get them for the pitch upcharge. All my drawings for insurance jobs are drawn out on sketch paper. On most houses under 50 squars one box for every 2ft works out nicely. Gable roofs are easy to draw hip roofs that are steep are a little more work. What I found works best is to walk the perimeter and draw as I go, usually when I meet on the corner it’s a box off if that.

Tomorrow measuring a 50 sq 10/12 hip roof house and a 40sq gable roof garage. The home owner is a regular at her resturant and all his neighbors have gotten new roofs due to hail. His house roof is 10 years old with 50 year laminates. His garage roof is 1 years old with 40 year laminates. He said he’s got $70K into the garage so far and he still has to finish off the 1750sq foot upstairs, add a bathroom, office, in floor heat, and concrete! Friday gotta measure a 40sq 8/12 gable house with a real nice 20sq two sided 8/12 garage than a 45sq 8/12 hip roof house I roofed five years ago.

Of the three more than likely one adjuster will just go off my numbers so they better be dead on!

It’s a lot easier than tearing off at least.

Um, if you already know the sizes* then why are you measuring? I can understand needing info or allowances for remodeling, but if you already know the size?

*Provided these are YOUR measurements & not comparing to the adjuster’s estimate.

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]Um, if you already know the sizes* then why are you measuring? I can understand needing info or allowances for remodeling, but if you already know the size?

*Provided these are YOUR measurements & not comparing to the adjuster’s estimate.[/quote]

I’m guessing on rough sizes. Most roofs have 11-15+ roofing line items, the only way to get them all is to walk the roof. The roof I did already was 5 years ago and it for a builder, just turned in the total square, loading, ice and water prices, etc. On every estimate I send to insurance companies I go into it blindly as in I don’t even care what the adjuster has figured until they call me back and talk quanity and price. Keep in mind I learned from an estimater who’s worked for three of the five largest reputation based insurance restoration companies in MN, he’s very good at what he does. If he wasn’t one of the best out there at what he does he wouldn’t be making $200K+ a year as an estimator. Lucky for me I was able to pick his brain apart over the past couple years on fishing and hunting trips.

Oh and then there’s two more I gotta measure. An insurance agent stopped into my wifes resturant last night and said he’s got two for me. He said one was $26K, sounds interesting. The last three roofs he gave away to a roofer he’s never met. What I don’t want to happen is him trying to lure me away from my insurance company/agents. This year they’ve put a ton of work in my court and they pay top dollar.

ball park? Never, I’ve measured the steepest most gnarly cut up roofs you can find. Most of which are very large roofs, 50 squares or over. From the ground. The Swanson speed square book is one of my best friends in the field.

I think I’ve only done a ground measurement like 1 time in the past 3 or 4 years… you just miss so much if you don’t get up on top.

Now, I might not have the easiest time getting up there & occasionally get the feeling I’d rather be doing a desk job, but it’s always a better overview if you scale the beast.

Also, I can’t begin to count the # of jobs I’ve sold because the customer says I’m the only one who actually got up on top vs. just looking from the ground.

I might not get up there again until the work is done, but @ least I’ve been up on it one time.

@Ranch,

Yes there is the possibility of missing items, but I personally haven’t missed any. But I also diagram the roof, take digital photos of all sides and I make sure my pipes, vents etc are in those pictures. = )

Roofs 12/12 and over I won’t and don’t climb anymore, hence my swanson speed square book. It’s very accurate and I’ve measured monstor roofs and ended up with 1 or 2 bundles left over.