Hi, I have a boathouse that is recieving a full renovation, and desperately need advice on options for our flat roof/porch. I have not been able to come up with any great solutions because most people I talk to have never dealt with something that is both a roof and a porch at the same time.
The Roof must be
- able to withstand human traffic and not too hot to relax on (it is also a balcony)
- Seamless - there is alot of pineneedle buildup on the roof that likes to find their ways into cracks and rot out any floating roof/grate system
- Allow movement/self repair - Because of snow and because the foundation is set in water that freezes, unfortunately the roof is likely to shift when the ice melts
- Withstand the sun - there is alot of direct sunlight on the roof
- Be appicable in colder temperatures (-5 to +10 celsius)
The previous roof system was tarred with a floating deck to walk on. This system was not great because the pineneedle buildup creates a huge amount of maitenance due to having to lift up the floating deck and sweeping it all out.
That is why I am now looking into seamless systems, such as a rubber membrane underneath with something that withstands traffic ontop… such as the products at www.ecosurfaces.com. or Dek-Master vinyl decking. However I dont think something like this seems great because it requires a heavy application of adhesive… and if the roof shifts I think that this would tear and create holes in the surface
If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!!!