Two or One Starter Piece for Presidential?

Roofers using one starter piece on rakes and edges when installing Certainteed Presidential. Shouldn’t two pieces be used? Roofers are using Swiftstart by Certainteed.

I’m located in Seattle, WA.

http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/7453/img_1236822346.jpg

roofers love to run that dang shingle around the whole
roof.
i feel ya only need to install a starter at the bottom edge.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]roofers love to run that dang shingle around the whole
roof.
i feel ya only need to install a starter at the bottom edge.

gweedo.[/quote]

Correct! especially since he is using the correct metal edging.

If he wasn’t using the metal drip edge up the rake, then he would need the one starter up the rake.

This roofer is doomed anyway!
The roofer is doing over-kill and this homeowner thinks he’s not doing his job correctly.

I feel real sorry for this roofer. Probably will not get paid or at least be very unsatisfied.

Homeowner is much smarter than the roofer as you can already tell… :roll:

Last i checked you need to run the presidental starter and the starter he is using the tar strip should be on the rkae edge not inward like it is. But yes that is overkill.

Why is that underlayment laying out with so much unevenness to it? It is not laying down as flat as it should.

I believe most manufactures are recommending a starter strip of this type with the tar strip to the rake edge.Once it seals you have better wind protection on the gables.Because of where the ladder is sitting I can’t tell if the shingles are even with the metal or hang past it or exactly what style metal it is.Most types of metal your shingles should hang past and running a starter strip here helps keep that overhang distance straight and consistant.Although I’ve seen plenty of roofs where the roofer must have seen somebody put a starter strip on the gable or was told by their boss to do so and had no idea why they were doing it.The overhang on the starter strip usually isn’t consistant and niether are the shingles laid over it

The underlayment is Feltex, which is very hard to keep flat and straight. That could be why there are the bubbles. I used it a couple of times and although its a great to be able to cover 10 sq with one roll that only weighs 40 or 50 pounds it was still too much of a pain to work with.

To me in he picture it looks like the starter was not even broken in half. If it were my and I was using the metal drip edge I would have the tar line running out instead of in but yeah, I do see some arguing going on at this jobsite between the homeowner and roofer

To answer your question if the roofer should be using two. no those starter strips are smaller then the shingle and are for seams at the bottom. as for the rake they are not needed but are used to get a better straight edge if 1/2 inch overhang is being done.

I’m not sure why Roof-lover would make such a comment about me. The reason I asked the question is because I’m unsure and wanted some clarification. Based on the comments by others here, it seems my roofer may have incorrectly installed the Swiftstart.

I’m not sure what the possible consequences of the improper installation may be, so I’ll have to ask my roofer. If he tells me nothing will happen, then of course I’ll pay him in full. But if he tells me that a leak may result or heavy winds may blow off first course, then I will withhold some payment to correct the problem.

wish all my customers were like you.

gweedo.

The starter strip of what is called by many in the trade as a “bleeder strip” on the rake edge is installed for different reasons than the starter shingle pon the drip edge.

The “bleeder strip” on the rake edge is done to give that outer edge a much cleaner look.

MasonV,

Your roofers should be using 2 pieces of starter under the first course along the gutter edge, and 1 piece of starter strip up the rake edge. The photo you provided shows the strip on the rake (or side) edge installed incorrectly… the tar strip should be towards the outside edge of the roof.

I have installed starter on the rake edge and also not. I think putting it on the rake is a nice appearance enhancer and does make life easy for the guy cutting the shingles on the rake. however I do not think it is neccesary or required by manufacturers specs. When I nail my shingles at the rake edge i always put 2 nails there to give a little extra wind protection. I’m not sure I see any big problem with what your roofer is doing here, but the tar strip should be turned outward.

Should the tar strip be on the outside? Yes.

Will having the strip to the inside effect the edge ‘performance’? No.

Presidential TLs require a double layer of starter shingle at the eaves.

There is no need to run starters up the rake…but I don’t see any harm in it either. Just wasted materials.

Yes the tar strip should be closest to the outer roof edge as it help reduce wind shear. ie your shingles are less likely to blow off in high winds. An incorrect installation can be fixed by putting a few dime sized dots of tar on the incorrectly laid starters and “hand sealing” the shingles. No reason to hand seal rake edges imo unless you are in a high wind area.

[quote=“masonv”]Roofers using one starter piece on rakes and edges when installing Certainteed Presidential. Shouldn’t two pieces be used? Roofers are using Swiftstart by Certainteed.

I’m located in Seattle, WA.

[/quote]

certainteed.com/resources/pr … nstall.pdf