Trade Shows

Does anyone here do trade shows, and how well do they work? I was thinking of doing a few this spring and didn’t want to waste my money if they don’t work.
Thanks
Rob

I, too, am curious about their effectiveness & the general ROI.

Trade shows, like county fairs or remodeling shows, do well for roofing contractors. Shows such as National Roofing Contractors or other large regional shows would be a waste for a roofing contractor. If you have done a good job of merchandising yourself at the show and have a good proposal software program you will get some good leads and jobs. The most important thing to do is to FOLLOW UP the leads. The homeowner has a very short attention span and will ignore you if you wait a week to call or do a proposal. As far as ROI, well you never know how well you’ll do.

We did a some type of local home show. Local radio, builders, ac guy, pest control guy, banks, etc. We were the only roofer. Yes, I asked before booking to confirm I was the only roofer.

We gave away free crap like pens, magnets, etc. I had product samples, pictures of our work, etc. This went on all weekend. Probably fourty people all weekend stopped by to chit chat.

We ended up with four leads, two really good ones, sold one for 10k@ 35% profit.

I staffed that booth all weekend and I am a salesman.
I think you must have a salesman there @ all times in order for this to work.

James

[quote=“JamesFL”]We did a some type of local home show. Local radio, builders, ac guy, pest control guy, banks, etc. We were the only roofer. Yes, I asked before booking to confirm I was the only roofer.

We gave away free crap like pens, magnets, etc. I had product samples, pictures of our work, etc. This went on all weekend. Probably fourty people all weekend stopped by to chit chat.

We ended up with four leads, two really good ones, sold one for 10k@ 35% profit.

I staffed that booth all weekend and I am a salesman.
I think you must have a salesman there @ all times in order for this to work.

James[/quote]

i do our local festival every year. im the only “LOCAL” roofer there. i usually get about $10-$35,000 in sales from 2 1/2 days.

and you can get free hats from the mfgrs too!!!

Boss, these are trade shows to the general public not attending shows where you’re the customer & other people are trying to get YOU to buy their stuff…

1. If you’re not gonna staff your booth, you are wasting time.

2. You can’t measure any advertising by it’s immediate results. These things take time. You will NEVER see a co. like Coca Cola, Burger King, Budweiser, etc. saves $ by stopping their ads for even one day, & that’s what these trade shows are - advertising. For something like picking a contractor that you might never have heard of, a trade show / home & garden show is a chance for those who have a direct need to look around & shop as opposed to a phone book ad that’s hoping someone will pick you.

If you’re the only roofer there then you have more improved chances because your customer is essentially “in the stadium & stuck paying $ 3.00 for bottled water” in that you’re their only option in who they can talk to about roofing (except if there’s a handyman or contractor who does this in their side work from time to time).

I do the local Home & Garden Show Every Year as well as a couple in small nearby towns , The Major one i do is a 4 day event it is staffed by at least two people at all times as 60,000 people will stream by over these 4 days. The Results have varied from year to year but the avg $ Volume is around $80,000 , It has been as much as $125,00 one year to as little as $20,000 another. There Are usually 6-8 other roofers in this show every year.The Cost all totaled is around $1,800. The nice thing is the referrals Keep coming in from previous years so that now we also avg another $55,000 per year on referrals from previous years. If You Do Millions of dollars a year , Likely its not for you but if your like me & doing $700,000 a year or less , maybe its worth your time.
I know this is a hard business to be in during good times & an almost impossible business to make money in during times like now – so why do we keep doing it , Oh ya cause im to ornery to work for anyone else .

Oh, yeah? Well…