This is what we picked out

Hi again,

You might remember I posted a few weeks back about the disagreement between my spouce and I over the proper way to do an asphault roof on a ranch home in the North East.

I am following the advice given here and have chosen a well known roofing/siding company who has done work on other family homes. Here is what we are going with…

GAF Slateline shingles, full rip, and the GAF recomended method of instulation with a full ridge vent.

How are the Slateline Shingles? I hope for the added cost they hold up well, it would set our home out from the others because nobody in our area has them, makes me wonder why.

Roof will be done within 2 weeks, will be glad when it’s over with :mrgreen:

JMKM

It’s just not a popular style of shingle in my area. Many people do not care for the tabbed look. The thing I do not care for in a tabbed shingle is that sometimes you can see metal flashing if it falls between tabs. No good way to get rid of that either, you can flip a 6" piece of shingle black side down and put it where the flashing shows but then you have a slight hump right there. Not a big fan of tabbed shingles but if you like it that’s all that matters. For the price you should check into GAF Grand Manor or Certainteed Centenial Slate. Both give a tabbed look without actually being tabbed. I do not have anything bad to say about Slateline Shingle itself however.

A piece of ice and water exposed to the elements is not going to last anywhere near the life of a Slateline shingle, so no, I would not consider that a good way to cover the flashing in that case either. Best way is with a shingle piece, but as I said, it’s lumpy.

Use colored flashing

Hard to color copper (its all we use) since it needs to be primed and painted. But what about those occasions when the edge of the step flashings fall out dead in the middle of a rain eye? Just don’t like tabbed shingles…

Hi…

I just worried that the Slateline would be a heavy look on a ranch style house. Sort of like a little kid in his fathers jacket.

I did ask the roofer if the flashing at the valley would go on top of the shingles (like on the Grand Slate) or under, he said that they would place it under and “weave” the shingles over it. That it might show slightly, what ever that means. The ranch is an “L” shaped ranch, the inside of the L is just over the front entry too.

The thing is we live in one of those cookie cutter style developments. The builder only made my style ranch and a colonial. All the ranches, siding color aside, look identical. My thinking is everyone seems to be getting the GAF (or sim.) asphault arch. style shingles, I just wanted something…different.

The price we are paying (including 2 skylights) is $9,500.00, full rip to wood. Our goal is to have the porch indent and garage door areas stone faced in a color that compliments the English Grey slateline roof. I look at my house like I look at a 20 yr old car that I want to customise, but just like cars there’s a fine line between investment and money spent you will never get back down the road.

I have 2 weeks to change the color/style…

JMKM2008

All valley flashing goes under the shingles or it won’t be functional. Sometimes you can see 3-4" of valley metal if it’s an “open” cut valley. Weaving is the antique way of doing a valley, your roofer must be 90 years old. The places I was saying you might see flashing with a tabbed shingle would be at a side junction, like a wall or a skylight, it depends on how the tabs fall out. But look, it wasn’t my intention to make you second guess your color/style choice. As I said, if you like it then by all means…

Tabbed shingles are a thing of past. I’m with you on this one Tar Monkey. More corners for the wind to chatch and to curl.

Take a look at the Certainteed Landmark Premium or Landmark TL.

I am confused…

As previously stated this ranch is in the North East and is aprox. 20 yrs old, original builders 20 yr asphault shingles.

I dont have a pic of the roof to share buy typically arent the current shingles I have tabbed?

With the weight/thickness difference from what I have now and the Slateline GAF aspault line I figured I wouldnt have to even think about curling or hopefully anything for another 35-40 yrs (by then I will be too old to even want this place). I know the “Lifetime” warrentee is “pro-rated” after 40 yrs, is it your feeling that because they are tabbed, even at this weight, that they are less durable then Architectural shingles? I know I am not anywhere near a profesional, but do the architectural shingles feather as well? I look at those with all their edges and feathering was my 1st concern…

jmkm2008

Sorry to confuse you but in my area laminate shingles are installed on over 90% of the roofs being either redone or new. On roofs I install it would be more like 95-98%

The tabbed shingles your looking at are more than likely fiberglass which are less likely to curl but with six corners rather than two it’s much more likely. In addition laminate shingles are longer than tabbed shingles.

Laminate shingles over time will loose granuals and can crack. They haven’t been common in the market for a long time so with some lines only time will tell how they hold up.

Some loose granuals in large areas and appear white. Some spider web crack.

Yes, more than likely the roof you have on now is a tabbed shingle.

One of the highest ranked shingles in consumer reports is the Certainteed Grand Manor Shangle which is a four tab shingle. Like mentioned before there is a solid sheet of shingle under the eye lines. 425 lbs per square, $175+ per square.

If you have a ranch house I’m guessing it’s low pitched? The only time I would install a high end tabbed roof would be a steep roof were it can be seen very easily.

My lumber yard had Certainteed Centennial Slates installed on all the buildings and due to the low pitch it looks like a regular 30 year 3 tab roof. The drivers agreed with me on that one. At $175+ per square it didn’t give that wow factor.