Texas Bound

I’m flying to Texas Wednesday to scout hurricane damage. Reports to follow

Have fun, tell us all about it.

Are there any Houston area roofers already there? I’m going to work for trident roofing out of Austin, Dallas, and Plano. Anybody else have any field reports?

Thanks,

James

Well, it’s Friday. What’s the deal?

(BTW, I have some Beaumont jobs I might be able to turn you on to, for a $… did them 3 years ago, but I don’t have the ability to run them this go 'round as we’ve got 2 little kids now.

I’m really busy to post a detailed report with pics buts here my quick take.

Standing seam, no damage
Three tabs, blown off
Dimensional, very little blow off.

Pics and details to follow when I get time

[quote=“JamesFL”]I’m really busy to post a detailed report with pics buts here my quick take.

Standing seam, no damage
Three tabs, blown off
Dimensional, very little blow off.

Pics and details to follow when I get time[/quote]

James, FYI on a 3 Tab: When I did that ‘double hurricane’ area of Florida that got two hurricanes inside of about 1-1/2 months (about 4 years ago), we were ONLY putting on dimensionals, even if they had a 3T before (of course we’re talking “steep slope”).

Beaumont, 3 years ago, the same thing. ONLY dimensionals. Everyone was selling / installing dimensionals & there were only 1 or 2 co’s I heard of that were doing 3T’s.

Let me know how it goes.A few of us were thinking about going down.Its been real slow here in upstate NY.I have already talked to a few guys doing the blue roof thing.We want to go shingle and / or rubber.Anyway, good luck.

CK, you (& anyone else on here who is interested in heading down) need to specify whether you want to work as general labor, some sort of field super or in sales.

FYI, Texas doesn’t require licensure, however there are a few minor hurdles for the average Joe.

I’m back in Florida, That storm was nothing like a Florida storm. Sure there are a lot of blue tarps, but also a lot of competition. I don’t think it’s the
type of storm you can travel to and make alot of money. Hotel rooms are very hard to find, traffic is the worst I’ve ever seen, no license requirements so really anybody can do this.

As a Florida native, I personally think south houston is a dirty, busy place. I’m happy to be back in FL.
If any one has questions about the storm, I’d be happy to tell you about it.

James

James, You mentioned earlier that you were going to see Trident Roofing in Houston. I have been talking to them also. What’s up with them? They appear to be legit on the web and with a couple ph. conversations. What’s your opinion?
Thanks, Bruce

Trident looked like a good company, however when I got there they were not ready to roll, as I had been told BEFORE I got on a plane to Texas. I ended up with
Excell roofing of Texas.They are operating out
pearland, TX.

Trident looked like a good company, however when I got there they were not ready to roll, as I had been told BEFORE I got on a plane to Texas. I ended up with
Excell roofing of Texas.They are operating out
pearland, TX.

Thank you James

James, that clears things up. From your earlier post, I got the impression that you went to HOU, looked around & @ Trident, then went back to Florida.

My partner is doing the same, he flew down on Monday.

He has heard that there is enough work for 4 years down there.
No word yet if materials are in short supply.

[quote=“Adept Roofing”]

My partner is doing the same, he flew down on Monday.

He has heard that there is enough work for 4 years down there.
No word yet if materials are in short supply.[/quote]

I just got back from a 4 day run over there; was working on a 4 building mansard roof & other repairs to an apartment complex that we started to quote about 2½ months ago; they had minimal hurricane damage (Duro-Last for the low slope, shingles on the mansard).

Houston has a metropolitan area of around 5.6 million people according to the 2002 census. If ONLY 5% of the roofs were damaged, that means that 280,000 thousand homes could have been affected.

When I was in line @ “Big Orange Box” on one of the what seems to be thousand runs I made, one of the local contractors said the conservative estimate was around 30%.

The area where we were working was around 290 & Loop 610; about a good 20 miles W, a decent distance away from the eye of the storm (remember, it’s the E / NE sides of a hurricane that are the “dirty” side, or the hardest hitting). Anyhow, even where I was located, there were a LOT of damaged homes & roofs.

I am going to have to work something out so that I can get to Houston for a few jobs (it’s about a 2½ hour drive from my house in SW Austin).

FYI, the going labor rate per square is around 45.00 to 55.00 for a ‘normal 1 story walkable’. (for now) One price per square of GAF Natural Shadow is around 75.00 - 80.00.

One last thing; I went to ABC Supply to get some extra stuff & this is the first time I have ever seen a bouncer @ the door of a roof shop. “One man out, then one man in.” It was like a convenience store across the street from a middle school…

i know of 2 big companys here in west florida that have now gone ther. ive also been told that roof replacments are going for $300 sq. for tearoff and 30 yr dim.install. we are also thinking about setting up there. is there anymore feed back from anyone else?

I was also told by a friend who gets the Exactimate updates that the latest State Farm schedule is $ 220.00 per square for a 3 Tab off / on.

YMMV…

Bruce
I will call you back in the morning…i’ve been busy…
thanks
tim

So is there work down there I wood like to sub some i own keycitybuilders in dubuque ia but theres no work up here.I have 3 kids and a wife I need work… Been doing roofing and siding 15yrs i have a crew looking to go to work you can call me anytime 563-451-3780 work hard and do the job right the first time all the time