TASER====this may hekp you out

i am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here as you seem to be a guy that likes to know whats going on and i can respect that.
i first put on a drip edge at the eave edge and then on the rake edge overlapping the one i put on the eave.
i then install a 36 inch ice shield over the drip edge that is on the eave only/ for the valley you can also use a drip edge. i then install #15 felp paper over both the drip edge and ice shield as well as all the sheathing. i then install all the shingles and of course the ridge venting.

[quote=“mxim”]
i then install a 36 inch ice shield over the drip edge that is on the eave only[/quote]

That method will allow water to back up from the gutter and under the drip edge.

Try this

%between%http://www.roofersreview.com/d/4523-2/Roof+Edge+Detail.jpgimg

click the image for more pics

you are putting the ice shield over the drip edge?

Ice and water has to be 24 inches inside the warm wall. 36 inches may not cut it on some homes.

we put it under.

Again:

Ice & Water shield is designed to protect the WOOD, not the metal drip edge.

Your method will allow water to back up onto the roof deck, freeze, & render the ice & water shield useless.

you guys are putting the ice edge under the drip edge at the eave, the ice shield is started at the edge of the eave and is either 24 or 36 inches wide. the drip edge at the eave goes over the ice shield as the drip edge is placed right at the edge.
what are you guys using in the valley or by dorms?

Whether or not the Ice & water shield is over or under the drip edge does not really make any difference.
Common sense tells us that it is better for the Ice & water shield be on top of the drip edge, on the eaves…

I always set my jobs up so that I can apply the Ice & water shield over the drip edge (on the eaves), whenever possible…
But…
If time is an issue and I need to get this structure dried in, the drip edge goes over the Ice & water shield, the next day or later…
Sometimes I will strip it in, sometimes not…
I really don’t think that it matters.
I do think it matters if the drip edge is over the felt on the rakes though…
On the rakes the drip edge should be ON TOP of the felt.
This helps to protect the edges in the case of wind driven rain.
Usually not an issue, but can be…