Synthetic underlayment revisted sorry guys

i’m currently using shinglemate and since its getting colder out and it seems to wrinkle even worse; you guys ever debate using synthetic for the winter? thing is the guy i currently sub off of will not buy GAF deck armor and i’m worried about the perm ratings he ordered something by a company called tri-built its kinda an off brand, but i won’t have the wrinkles… alot of customers are complaining about the felt wrinkling and i’ll have to admit it seems as though the wrinkling might be worse with shinglemate when its cold out? not sure, but anyways i’m gonna try this, but like i said the perm rating i worry about… (mold issues) in the long term. your customers ever complain about felt buckling? and what do you say when they do? i just tell them thats the way it is and thats the way its always been…

A lot of times, in the winter I need to use a torch to get rid of ice or frost or light snow, or to dry off a surface.
Anyway I need to use a torch to prep for shingling.

Synthetics don’t like the torch at all…
Don’t even look at a synthetic underlayment with a torch in your hand. :smiley:

Try tarco easy lay. I’m paying around 53 a roll but for 400 sq ft coverage it is really watershield without having to pull the release tape.

Thanks guys. I’ve used the rose bud and the leaf blower which might even work better. Its the wrinkles though causing most of my problems and I’m doing another shake rip, so I can’t possibly shingle it the same day

30# felt.

30 wrinkles too. I might just go with synthetic just worried because I don’t see a perms rating on this brand

30# doesn’t melt…

Certainteed’s Roofers select is the best felt by far for shingle jobs. Much better than shingle mate. using buttons helps as well.

Roofers select is good felt. We used to use it until we could only start using GAF product in order to offer the full warranty and blah blah blah. If it is wrinkled in the morning, wait until the sun is on it for a little while. It will smooth out.

[quote=“pghroofer”] but like i said the perm rating i worry about… (mold issues) in the long term.
[/quote]

I just used titanium on my house. It is great to use, has lots of lines and targets to keep everything straight and sticks to your pants like velcro. I was wondering about the importance of perms too. I added ridge vent and some more soffet vents to play it safe but I was thinking that roofing is pretty moisture  proof anyway. How many perms is a shingled roof? How about sheet metal or tar and gravel roofs, how do they breathe? Is the perm thing just a GAF selling tactic since deck armor costs a lot more than titanium? I live in mild coastal california so I'm sure the moisture problems here will be a lot different than for many parts of the country.

Regards, DaveB

the warrantys really dont mean anything except your own.

Thanks guys very true I like shinglemate just been really wrinkling. This tri-built syn-felt is actually rex syn-felt it sucks its so slippery were on. 10:12 and once you chalk lines it becomes slippery as ice. I’m curious what allied charges for titanium. I can’t get certainteed products at our branch anymore sucks but I might check on titanium to bad its not up to. I’m a sub and I don’t think salesman even care honestly

[quote=“pghroofer”] This tri-built syn-felt is actually rex syn-felt it sucks its so slippery were on. 10:12 and once you chalk lines it becomes slippery as ice. I’m curious what allied charges for titanium.
[/quote]

Hi pgh, The roof I used titanium on was 5/12 pitch, I don’t know if it would have still felt secure on a 10/12 or not. It has a fine waffle pattern with rough texture so it seems to stick to cloth pretty good.
I’m not a pro so I have to pay retail, Home Depot here in california wanted $148 per roll for titanium udl 30, but they told me they’d give me 10% off if I opened a charge account so it costs me $133 per 10 square roll. It was worth it to me cause I wanted to cover the whole roof but leave a couple parts unshingled while I frame in new skylights, etc. The exposed titanium areas have been thru 2 rainstorms so far without leaking or ripping off.
regards, Daveb