Synthetic slate

Anyone have experience with synthetic slate? We have not ruled out real slate but synthetic may be a better option. I know there are a few brands of synthetic out there and would like to know pros and cons.

Thanks for any advise.

If you have the funds for real slate, and your roof will support the weight, then what is left to consider?
How is synthetic slate “a better option” than the real thing?
Elaborate please.

Thanks for replying. We are building the house from ground up so I know there is extra expense with a heavier roof system, copper nails, flashing and the slate itself. I have read that real slate requires more maintenance than syntetic. I don’t know. If you were building a house what would you use?

The difference in price is huge, but then you are buying the best system there is.
A slate roof requires relatively little maintenance throughout its life although for the first few yrs you might lose a slate or two as the house settles and slates separate due to hairline fractures that should have been picked up by the roofer but were missed or dismissed as inconsequential.
Other than that, a visual every few yrs, and attention paid to any trouble spots (minimal) will ensure you have a roof for life provided you use quality slate.
Were I in the fortunate position you are in, it would be my choice.
Good luck.

Hi,

The flashing is the same for either one.

Where are you located?

i do a lot of synthetic slate,and in my opinion i would look into a lamarite,or an ecostar.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Where are you located?[/quote]

Apparently, they are in an air conditioning system.

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Where are you located?[/quote]

Apparently, they are in an air conditioning system.[/quote]

haha. I’m in Alabama. Can’t figure out how to change that. I thought you didn’t have to use copper flashing with the synthetic. It seems real slate is the best roof available. My thought was if synthetic gave the same look and lasted 50 years that would be fine. I would hate to get synthetic and it look a plastic roof though.

IMO, @ a ‘reasonable’ distance, you can’t tell the difference.

But that’s me. I would also suggest you not tell anyone unless asked (I know this is a difficult proposition, but do your best).

You can also ask your contractor to put some synthetics (Lamarite, etc) up against the real thing either in a “side by side” (on some plywood in a cluster similar to how it would look on the roof, with enough to cover @ least an 18" x 18" area) & you should guess which one is which.

Then, ask 2 or 3 friends to guess.

Then, have the contractor of your choice mix up some slates with the synthetics & see how that looks to you. I’m guessing you won’t be able to tell the difference.