Suggestions for an inexpensive, durable, repairable roofing product with a good warranty

Axiom, they said that they did a precise measurement from a satellite image and they came up with 28.5 square.
I have no idea how they arrived at that number.

I used the architectural blueprints and a tape measure for the ridge heights and then Pythagoras came in handy. They measured from low earth orbit and were way off. I have contacted them for a clarification, though no word.

If I heard that I could be set-up with metal hidden fastener tiles for16.5 square at $550 per square then I would be very happy. From what I can see even asphalt would not be that competitive.

Axiom, they said that they did a precise measurement from a satellite image and they came up with 28.5 square.

You have no idea how they came up with their numbers?

No, not really.

They showed me a satellite image of our house, and they said it worked out to 28.5 square.
They did not provide their reasoning.

When I crunched through the numbers, I was nowhere near what they calculated.
Moving it up more than 10 square over my figures greatly escalated the cost.
I had not imagined that there would be any such discrepancy in an easily measured
quantity. I was already to sign the contract, though now the price is well past my
comfort zone.

I don’t use those types of services but in my experience (where others have) they have been low.

Perhaps post a picture of your home from different sides.

You can use to host pictures.

Hmm, I am looking at the blueprints and the front and back of the house have slanting sections that I had not considered.
I had simply thought of the roof as a 50 foot long board with widths of 16 and 8 feet for each side of the ridge. The blueprints show that the both the front and the back ends portions that run back from the street and backyard views. There would be no easy way to calculate how much such complexities might add to the roofing surface.One might think that there could be a simple one-to-one substitution, though I am not sure that would be true.

Very cool!

Just clicked on the ad from this thread and I pulled up a satellite image of my house.
The satellite called it as 1540 square feet.
How did my roofer call it as 2800+?

I have had an occasional issue with satellite views. Sometimes people make mistakes, there has to be at least one crappy person that works there.

Maybe you can share what satellite view you have and ask them to come put a tape on your house. If they aren’t interested don’t beg them and move on.

You could do standing seam installed for $800 a square.

Measure length of house times up and over house. That’s squares. Add 10 % waste…

mark, I talked to a real estate agent and was told not to go for a standing seam because it would probably detract from resale vaue. The agent said that any exterior feature, even a feature such as a standing seam which would lead to a higher quality roof, would reduce the value of our house. The agent agreed that this was nuts, but suggested that is how life is.

It says right in the title “inexpensive”…

Standing seam is right up there with the most expensive there is.

True, but from a long term cost consideration $800 per square seems reasonable especially when there has been problems with shingles.

$800/sq is not inexpensive anywhere except inaccessible special exceptions.

If you want inexpensive over time then a soldered double locked copper standing seam roof is the cheapest of them all.

Axiom, could a standing seam roof be disassembled and then reassembled?

There would be no good reason to disassemble it in the first place.

They can be added on to if that is your question.

You can dissamebl it fairy easily with a can opener, but it don’t go back together.

Axiom, would it be possible to take off the standing seam on one roof and then put it on another roof?
For example, if you took off the roof, knocked down the house, built a new one and then put the old roof onto the new roof.

Can a standing seam roof be taken apart in such a way?

No, the only way to disassemble it after it is locked, other than for small repairs, is a tool that works like a big can opener that slices the top of the lock off.

Would you want to tear shingles off one house and install them on another?. The only roofing products commonly removed and reinstalled, or reclaimed, are natural slate and terracotta tile.