Strange, or not strange?

Today, I was driving in an area of my town and saw the second roof that I ever did in my life 13 years ago. So, the roof looked okay, but… I thought something looked funny about it, there was a ridge vent on the ridge of the hipped roof, and two feet under it there was a power vent… admittedly, I did not know at the time this roof was installed that this was wrong, but I didn’t remember seeing this detail being done when I was a kid.

It stuck in my head, and I couldnt get rid of it, and the homeowners kid is an acquainance of mine, so out of curiosity I called the homeowner and he confirmed that he’d had the power vent installed later. I told him that this was wrong and that I’d remembered we didnt do it this way and thats why I called.

Is this strange when the homeowner doesn’t know me from a hole in the wall? It was like research in my mind. I wanted to ask him a question that got awkward in my mind so I never asked, so I’m going to ask it here;
around the power vent that has been installed there is a black ring below the venting section of it, so what do you suppose causes that black “soot”. I’ve seen that on the louver vents also. My guesses were, first, a long time ago, that it was possibly just the venting of some dirty air in the house possibly caused by oil heat or something venting in the attic. Now, in this circumstance, I’m thinking its algae from the moisture getting in through the ridge vent. What do you guys think or know?

Ive always tought it to be charring from the constant heat flow.

Wifes a bad cook and kitchen vents into the attic :slight_smile:

Well the main problem is when that power vent kicks on it turns the ridge vent into an intake. Rain snow and anything else gets sucked into it. I think charring is the answer but i might be wrong.

My first house in upstate NY was a hip-roof house, and the range vent really did vent into the attic. The hip roof had a small little triangle vent on two sides where the roofs came together. Wish I’d invested in insulating that attic and venting the roof better.
When we sold the house, I was about to put in a sump pump in the basement. I left the sump crock behind. Two years later we drove by the house, and beside the house was the sump crock, being used as a trash can. Like the original poster, I had to stop and talk to the homeowner, and told them what they had there was a sump crock.

Its dirty and dust blown into the granules of the shingles.

What g-tape said. Concentrated dirt and dust.