Straight runs around dormers, cutting closed valleys

I need some advice for keeping my runs straight when going around gables. In spite of regular measuring, my runs seem to drift when I have to go around mid-roof gables. It seems as though the valleys cause the runs to climb at the ends. I have been measuring down from the ridge. Is there an easier way? Additionally, what is the cleanest way to cut a closed valley. I hook blade on cold shingles does not give the best finish. Thanks.

By the way, I prefer not to roof but am doing it out of necessity. Finish carpentry is my preference.

Struggling rookie,
DK

I need some advice for keeping my runs straight when going around gables. In spite of regular measuring, my runs seem to drift when I have to go around mid-roof gables.

You mean dormers not gables right? You need to measure up one side of the dormer to the peak of the dormer. Then do the same thing on the other side of the dormer. Now pull your first line that goes OVER the top of that dormer. There are times when you need to mark from the ridgeline down but not many. What you may like to do is pull a tape measure from the ridgeline when you get about 3/4 up the roof to make sure your lines are straight with the ridgeline. If it’s off by a little bit you can usually split the difference and run with it. If it’s off bad due to carpentry you’re going to have to take the difference between the two lines and divide it by let’s say 1/8th and figure out how many lines you need to adjust on one side to get straight with the ridge. Hope you understood that, lol.

It seems as though the valleys cause the runs to climb at the ends.

Pop all your chalk lines out first on your roof deck. When you lay the valley shingles it is usually easiest to run up the valley at aprox a 45 degree angle or “staircase”. The trick here is to NOT lay your first shingle into the valley like you want to. Lay your first shingle that would fall next to your valley first and then butt the shingle that goes into and across the valley next. So you’re laying 2 shingles and then moving up to the next row above it. If you try and lay your first shingle into the valley it will cock every time.

Additionally, what is the cleanest way to cut a closed valley. I hook blade on cold shingles does not give the best finish. Thanks.

Hook blades are best for most shingles when it is warm out but in the colder weather you need an old pair of tin snips/metal shears. Ones with long blades like the “Andy” snips make nicer cuts.

Tar Monkey,

I think I am with you. Yes, I do mean dormers for the sake of this conversation. If I understand you correctly, I will be establishing a straight line at the top of the dormer and measuring down from there to make sure my runs are straight. One of my problems is I have two valleys coming down close to each other (~3 feet apart). It is hard to keep things straight and very hard to get an accurate measurement from the ridge (or top of dormer) when the run you are measuring to is so short.

DK

Hi,

Snap lines for every coarse.

Cutting Valles:
I’ve learned to use a scrap piece of aluminum (coil stock) to slip under the shingles being cut.

Shears better for cold shingles. Yes.
Hook blade best for warm-hot shingles.

If money were no object, this would be your best bet:

roofmates.com/airknife/air_knife … 020505.mpg

roofmates.com/airknife.html

try to get your underlayment strait and then use the lines on it to keep yourself strait, when you cant get a measurement off the bottom edge.

on my roofs i keep my underlayment nice and strait, so i can use it to keep my roof strait.

gweedo.

Like was already stateduse lines,3 feet in between dormers,one shingle unlees 3 foot one inch that would suck.Use lines till you can better learn to compensate for losses.

[size=200]G-Tape[/size]

www.g-tape.com

[quote=“G-Tape”][size=200]G-Tape[/size]

www.g-tape.com[/quote]

i knew that was coming…some of the newbies here probably dont know what it is yet.

hell i dont know what it is.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]hell i dont know what it is.

gweedo.[/quote]

gweedo…shame on you…for not knowing one of our fellow roofer/inventors’…invention

thought it was 4" wide peal n stick.
my bad.

gweedo

gweedo… :frowning: