Storm Chasers

Not saying all storm chasers are a bad thing.But we had a few come into town a few years ago.They bid on alot of jobs,got paid half on some jobs and more on others.Then they blew out of town with the money.Leaving the people with leaking damaged roofs covered with blue tarps.When your starving you have to go where the work is.

Storm chasers- A COMPANY that temporarily moves their business to an area recently struck by a storm. They profit off of the demand of work available.

Con Artist- a person or people who use opportunities like storms to take advantage of people. They profit off of stealing peoples half downs.

Do not put storm chasers and con artist in the same group. They are completely different.

Storm chasers your can usually track down in other states. Any customer who does their research should be able to find where they come from incase anything does go terribly wrong.

I agree with you on certain points.The key word you used is Usually come back.Many dont.So I assume that dosent fall into the catagory of a Con.Also the fact that most try to charge way more then what a Local Contractor would.It’s just that you can get both the good and bad on either end.How many Contractor’s are willing to drive or fly 1000 miles to repair a leaking chimney or repair a half bundle of shingles.See that’s when i come in and repair there mistakes.I would be lying if i said all Storm chasers were Legit and Honest.I’m not one to use other peoples misfortune to better myself.

Its the customers that chose to take those risk. After they are burnt the first time, i doubt they will do it again. And if they do… well their just plain stupid.

Its the customers that chose to take those risk. After they are burnt the first time, i doubt they will do it again. And if they do… well their just plain stupid.

I agree 100%.Cheat me 1 time shame on you.Cheat me 2 times shame on me.It’s just a sad fact that most of the people that do get ripped off are Elderly.

I agree. I dont know how they can sleep at night.

Obviously alot sleep well,poor homeowners are left with the sleepless nights.But everyone is always concerned about the homeowners.What about the contractors scammed by crooked homeowners?It seems that the emphasis is always on the homeowner and the issues with crooked homeowners is swept under the carpet.I know a couple of chasers that did quality roof installs and the homeowners didn’t pay and had the mentality of “What are you gonna do come back from virginia to collect”?

[quote=“Roofmaster417”]

Obviously alot sleep well,poor homeowners are left with the sleepless nights.But everyone is always concerned about the homeowners.What about the contractors scammed by crooked homeowners?It seems that the emphasis is always on the homeowner and the issues with crooked homeowners is swept under the carpet.I know a couple of chasers that did quality roof installs and the homeowners didn’t pay and had the mentality of “What are you gonna do come back from virginia to collect”?[/quote]

We repo roofs. I dare you not to pay. lol jk.

Your right RoofMaster.There are some shady home owner.I’ve been cheated.I wised up and hire a Lawyer to fight for me.I’ll slap a Lein on the home in a heart beat.You know what why cant the crocked Roof Cons and the Shady home owner every run into each other.Then they could screw themselves.And leave us Honest Folk alone.

LMAO…Re-Po Roofing.Thats a better idea then kicking a HO’S AZZ…

My biggest problem is that most storm chasers will never return to an area out of their state to fix any problems they may have…and i just get upset with the homeowners that are dumb enough to go with these chasers…i actually dont mind selling against them because on most cases i can explain to the homeowner that once the out of state company leaves the area so does the warranty on their roof and this usually wakes them up…and to any of you storm chasers on here, no disrespect but if you do enough roofs, youre eventually gonna have a problem eventually somewhere…its just the way it goes

Max

Believe it or not there are quite a few storm chasers that will set up a contract with a local guy to handle their repairs after they leave town. Local guy sends them the estimate and they pay him for the repairs. I worked for such a company before we started our own business. No, not a storm chasing business.

Also one thing not mentioned - and may not be completely in line with the conversation. Independant adjusters are storm chasers also - most of them are paid a fee schedule and are there to total roofs and make there quick money running 6-10 claims a day for 2-3 months straight. A lot of time them buy roofs that really didn’t have enough damage to total it out and shouldn’t have been baught (Not that im complaining) There vendors have just chosen the route to be on the insurance companies side and definently take advantage of any storm situations. But on the other end - in big storms they hire a bunch of rookies that make really bad mistakes in there estimates.

I have seen that quite a bit.In the past I had appointments and it was right after another appoinment from another company and the customer let me in on some of the goofball approaches etc.I have also seen my estimates being $4,000-$5,000.00 more than anothers only to find out they missed layers and square counts.These layers missed resulted in redecks because I would find it difficult to miss by $4,000-$5,000.00.

I agree…Ive sold jobs to folks in storm situations just because the homeowners said that I was the only one who knew what the hell I was talking about…and as far as independent ajustors goes,
independent ajustor= cocky, arrogant SOB’s in my areas

With the talk of how much money can be made regarding snow removal and collapses associated with snow storms has anyone heard of “Snow Storm Chasers”?

Authentic dad knows well about storm chasers since his work is mainly insurance he is well verused. There are few storms where im at that need insurance work so we dont deal with them but advise off the top of my head is as far is this:

have the proof off a real insurance policy where it states the home owner must pay the deductible with fines being 5k and 5 in jail for them and 10k and 10 years for you if you pay it and get caught. Thats an attension getter there. Use a trick i thought up win lose or draw. you win of course give 5 business cards 500 sold 100 per. you lost the job do the same with a letter stating thank you for your interest in our company but as an act of good faith if you had liked what we had to offer and say i will pay 500 dollars towards a roof i did not do using the same card trick.

Also you can telemarket, canvass in masses and well take over subs by being there the day of the storm rather than waiting. did that once and sold the lights out with tarps ready and a full sets of crews ready putting them up as we sold them to the sub. Just my 2 cents.

Could I ask you what the name of that company was or how I could get in touch with them?