Storm chasers!

This is a damn good scenario of the truth about most of these type of businesses.I believe we will see more big names in Atlanta die down as a result of similar practices.

These so called executives or wanna be roofing contractors just hire subs, mostly Latino and change shingles only and do not re flash chimneys or do any of the things that I put into my bids for a complete roofing system, this ripping people off adds insult to injury for my 20 years of chosen profession.

It’s hard for people to trust you when people tarnish the image of a roofing contractor.I am GAF Certified and can provide a system plus warranty and the only way I would not honor one of my jobs warranties would be my life has ended and my wife had to put me 6 feet under and that is how it should be.

I have never been Master Elite because I do not push quantity, just quality.Master Elite only counts when you are selling golden pledge warranties, not swapping insurance money for free roofs.

People are only looking at price in the populace today. It’s hard for me to get the right numbers for all of my liability.

Good example of this kind of practices. I am in this business to help people and solve problems, not to mention I like challenging leak repairs that most rookies fail at solving.

jvhenterprises

oh like the one where the window is the leak not the roof or the chimney is leaking i love those. We had a roof in Detroit guy swore it was leaking. Well The mortar and bricks were the problem a foot up the wall. We see everything no matter what someones name is on it.

Heck lets go a step further than the window, In Atlanta we have a ton of nice homes that have brick faced chimneys, Most roofers seem to look at the flashing and if they are any good they will deal with these chimneys in a similar manner as me.

I will first purchase a clear masonry sealer and not Thompsons just to clarify, Then I will buy aluminum trim coil, cut my own step flashing and break my own 24"x24" kick out pans for the corners of the chimney to push the water on out from the cricket.

I step flash every single shingle and seal that part of the system to the wall with Geocel 2300 and then cut Kerfs 1’ deep into the mortar joints just to cap of my roof flashing to the chimney. I will always spray the chimney down with water sealer at the end.

This is a good job done because the flashing could only be 60% of the problem and the mortar could be porous as well. I have been there and have the T shirt, So the reason I posted this is to let the rookies know there is much more to roofing than just changing out the shingles and felt.

There are no short cuts to a quality job and storm chasers just beat down the value of a good roofer. I sale for myself and do not chase hail or wind damage.

It has been my experience that most storm damaged roofs are usually almost gone from age OR ARE GETTING CLOSE!

Again Roofing on Welfare for people who do not get the mechanics and I expect that I will get more business as the money bubble bursts from some of the big names down south.

It will be service work and not roof replacements is my guess from seeing the quantity of production the last 24 months.

Vann the Roofing man,
jvhenterprises

Well , i have “chased” a few storms , i live in michigan , we get about a 40 week season for roofing. So come winter if there is a hurricane we leave, we leave one or two guys home ( they take care of minor repairs ) the rest of us go work the storm area. We get there in early December & leave in March. We don’t hide the fact we are from out of state , i give them all our toll free # , & tell them they can reach us if there is a problem & it will be dealt with promptly. I have personally drove to Mississippi , to take care of a small leak we had in one our roofs , it took me 10 minutes to fix it . I also drove to Houston texas twice to repair a leak in two different roofs , one was a collar on a vent needed repaired , the other was actually their air conditioner leaking in their attic .
If roofers don’t like me there - tough - I am in business for one reason - to make money. I do stand behind our work , i make a very nice living roofing. If you cant stand the competition- go out of business , i don’t care.

[quote=“oldman_roofer”]Well , i have “chased” a few storms , i live in michigan , we get about a 40 week season for roofing. So come winter if there is a hurricane we leave, we leave one or two guys home ( they take care of minor repairs ) the rest of us go work the storm area. We get there in early December & leave in March. We don’t hide the fact we are from out of state , i give them all our toll free # , & tell them they can reach us if there is a problem & it will be dealt with promptly. I have personally drove to Mississippi , to take care of a small leak we had in one our roofs , it took me 10 minutes to fix it . I also drove to Houston texas twice to repair a leak in two different roofs , one was a collar on a vent needed repaired , the other was actually their air conditioner leaking in their attic .
If roofers don’t like me there - tough - I am in business for one reason - to make money. I do stand behind our work , i make a very nice living roofing. If you cant stand the competition- go out of business , i don’t care.[/quote]

You are RARE! Kudos to you for not being a parasite.

Above all, companies that don’t stand behind their work are frowned upon because it perpetuates a negative and untrustworthy stigma for all roofers and the entire roofing industry.

if anyone wants help as far as stormers, i have gathered and made a complex way of shooting them in the foot and smoking them out. Want help email leave a number and a time to call and i will show you the way i do it. I have proven it in every state hammered by storms.

As far as empire i dont pitch much anything but help if you want some just ask and i will gladly able to help.

I own a GA based roofing company and we do a fair bit of storm chasing. The way that we are able to do it and take care of our customers is by teaming up with a local roofer in the area. On the remote occassion one of our roofs leak we subout the local company to take care of the repair. You can still practice good business and be a storm chaser. In areas that have a fair amount of damage on a regular basis we open an office and hire from the ranks to staff it. We now have a twenty one state footprint and an excellent bbb rating.

Every storm chaser I have ever seen is proud of their BBB affiliation/ rating. So what does it mean?

[quote=“Gus Jones”]
Every storm chaser I have ever seen is proud of their BBB affiliation/ rating. So what does it mean?[/quote]

IMHO, a good BBB rating means the company can at least address issues before they become a complaint letter.

Gus, no offense but it appears you dont care for those you call storm chasers. Fair enough, but from your website link, it seems the founder has done just that…

“AMARCO began in 1990 as Williams Residential Roofing. Tom Williams, who moved back to area, was eager to start his life here in NW Indiana again, after roofing in Massachusetts and the aftermath of Hurricane Hugo in North & South Carolina. With trucks, equipment and roofing experience, it was time to get started.”

My irony meter is coming to life :shock:

My irony meter is coming to life :shock:

LOL That’s a good one Pete W. I have lived thru a bit of that storming. I actually started roofing after Alicia hit Houston/ Galveston in 1983.

Worked a couple of storms in KS & ND before learning to roof in MA. Hit Hugo for the winter before before moving back home and have stayed local ever since.

If you caught anything about my attitude it is the allussion to the dishonesty that occurs in the modern day insurance work, rather than the fact that damage occurs and needs fixed.

Has it always been this bad? IDK. I worked as an employee, sub, tradesmen not as a Roofing Contractor back in those days

If you caught anything about my attitude it is the allussion to the dishonesty that occurs in the modern day insurance work, rather than the fact that damage occurs and needs fixed.

Has it always been this bad? IDK. I worked as an employee, sub, tradesmen not as a Roofing Contractor back in those days

What “illusion” are you referring to? We are almost exclusively insurance work and I will stack our business practices up against your own, from an integrity point of view, any day of the week all year long. From what I’ve seen here and in Alabama, there is just as much, if not more, crappy work and shady business practices utilized by locals as there is storm chasers.

What would the people of Houston do were it not for storm chasers? There’d still be a quarter of a million roofs needing repair if they had to rely on locals. Why do you think the local municipalities,m state governments and insurance companies don’t do anything to deter the “storm chasers”? That’s easy, because they and the local citizens would be screwed without them.

I think if locals would do better work and have a better reputation, they’d have zero to fear from storm chasers.

“From what I’ve seen here and in Alabama, there is just as much, if not more, crappy work and shady business practices utilized by locals as there is storm chasers”

I think I said “Insurance Work”, not storm chasers. And they are as local as the day is long nowadays.

Kind of voids the challenge AD. Sorry for the mis-understanding

[quote=“Authentic_Dad”]

We have a winner!

When we have local storms, the first few weeks is all the unethical, out of town, fly by night guys. You can spot them coming and so can most homeowners.

They usually disappear in a month or so, and then we get the vast majority of the work without any problems.

But yes, a local company that does business right and has everything in place should have no fear of storm chasers.

[quote=“PeteW”]

We have a winner!

Well I DO agree w/ AD that when there is a MAJOR storm that the locals cannot do all of the work that is needed done quickly.

Our company sets up many locations around the United States. We have an A+ rating with the BBB. We service our Warranties for 5 years even though we might not have a physical location in that State anymore. What we do is contract with a local company to service our warranties after we are gone. We have not had ONE warranty go undone. We honestly don’t have many warranty issues because our work is QUALITY. We use our own crews that travel with us because we know the quality of work they perform and their quality customer service. We do not save homeowner’s their deductible and work on Insurance Agreements. We register our company with the State, County, and Cities we work in. We carry all necessary insurance.
I do not like that some “storm chaser” companies give us a bad name. They give all roofing professionals a bad name at that.
I just wanted to speak up for those of us who choose to travel around the United States to conduct our business. That does not make us bad roofers.

For a FREE roof the AVerage American homeowner will believe anything.

Myself, If I was doing your warranty work, it’d be $65 per m/ hr port to port + materials of course.
PAID IN ADVANCE

Unlike the hapless homeowner, I know I’d be looking at job security. That is why WITH PROMPT PAYMENT, I’d give you a discount

Since Being on this site I have learned about storm chasers the good and bad.I really don’t have an opinion either way Out here a storm chaser would starve to death we just don’t have those types of storms you guys have. People here really want a well established Co. that has good reputation with the community. I feel as long as you do a good job at an honest cost to the home owner your alright in my book.

What are Job Files/Open File System? I’m a veteran salesman, new to roofing, looking to hookup with a stormer, If I ask a stormer to let me see your (or their?) job files, what am I asking them for? Thanks!

What is Pencil Whipping?