Storm chasers!

im very very new to this industry and thinking bout getting into it, i have read alot of things on this site and it appears storm chasers are frowned upon ? just wondering why working for a in state company is so much better? i mean isnt chasing the storm where the big money is in the business getting the insurance comapanys to pay for all the damage? like i said im sure i will get flamed here but im new and just curious? u would think if u was a salesman u would be chasing all the devastation with the storms, i dont know. any input would be great… thanks guys

I think that it is some of tactics used by the “stormchasers” that gives them a bad name.

Oh yeah, not to mention shoddy work that they are not around to warranty after they leave for the next storm.

[quote=“THE OUTLAW ROOFER”]I think that it is some of tactics used by the “stormchasers” that gives them a bad name.

Oh yeah, not to mention shoddy work that they are not around to warranty after they leave for the next storm.[/quote]

This is exactly why they are frowned upon…
They steal local work by low balling then making adjustment charges to get back up to value.

How many storm chasers do you know that will drive from Atlanta, GA to Oklahoma City, OK for a small leak they did 2 months ago? NONE

Although they do create alot of work for me, ie:
repairs, complete re-roofs, patches…ect.

I still do not condone nor chase myself…

I am sure there are reliable quality storm chasers out there, but I have yet to come across one or come behind one for that matter.

And no I dont think anyone will bash you…
As you, just like the ho’s that the storm chasers take advantage of, you just don’t know or understand…

Uhhhaaa… ethics, morals, pride, being able
to sleep at nite and the lack of concern of the
quality of work they do, or the material they use,
or don’t bother using, they prey on the elderly,
out and out lie about being a local company,
There is a gypsy roofing company here now
that has an ad in the phone book that they have
ran for the last 4 years saying their local…
googled their address and their office happens
to be in the middle of our local softball
park.

IT’S THE HARM THEY DO TO THE TRADE.

I could go on, but frankly it peeze"s me off when i think about it.

I agree that alot of “storm chasers” do all of the things said above but the same can be said for alot of “local” roofers!

I have yet to chase a storm with my own company but I intend to do so when to opportunity arises.

There are bad apples in every industry that give guys like me a bad rep but there is nothing you can do about it.

I lost a job today because an adjuster told the homeowner Im a storm chaser scum bag but yet I was born and raised where I live and run my business… so apparently just knowing how to handle an insurance company puts me in the sleezeball category.

So to spare you a ten page long response I will end by saying that there is nothing wrong with chasing a storm if you work for a good company that will put on a good roof and if they do leave town will find somebody to service any warranty claims they may have when they are gone.

If you take the attitude that you are helping people, take pride in your work and happen to make a damn good living doing so then there is nothing wrong with it. If your doing it just for the money then please do us all a favor and seek income elsewhere.

guys i wanted to say ty for all the input, makes alot more sense now… hope everyone has a good weekend :slight_smile:

theres different types of stormchasers though. like the guys everyones talkin about, or the guys like me when i was younger w/ no wife & kids.from the time i was 17-27 i traveled all around the south working as a hot foreman.id usually stay & work for a local co. for a yr.or so until work slowed down or another big storm hit someplace.let me tell you,them co. appreciated me too.i always got a co. trk.& a good xmas bonus.never see any good bonuses up north here.i dont regret all that traveling either,i learned alot of install methods & different systems.i taught alot of them too.also got to sleep w/alot of wild women all over the south.

corry, sounds like fun.

Ahhhhhhhh, wouldn’t it be nice to
be young again, anymore all i get
is dirty looks. :mrgreen:

i hear ya tlock. except from them cougars!

So many misconception. Ill give you a crash course in storm cashing. First there are storm chasers and storm flys. A fly is a company that will swing into a city and find a roofing company with a disconnected number, then buy the number from the phone company and instantly have a name and usually a good BBB report. In the south flys just set up shop because there is no licensing in most states below the mason. Step two is to sell there first 20 jobs at damn near cost. This gives them a quick reference list. I would not recommend working with a fly. Those guys are has shady has they come. Now a chaser will do what is called a buy out. This is when a local company franchise there name to a storm company for either money up front, so much per SQ, or a % of the gross. This insures that all warranty work is handled after the stormer leaves. Some companies become so profitable they become national companies (Aspen, Roof America, Roof USA) Problem with those guys is that they pay low (8-10%) and are notorious for pencil whipping. The notion that we eat up local work is absurd. Any storm worth working has to much work for a local to handle. Locals get booked up in the first three months. Homeowners have 1 year from the date of the storm to turn in the claim. If left to locals many would go unaware and miss out on the free roof. Storm chasers open up the storm. Chaser go door to door like mad men thus informing 1,000 of people a week of the damage. The vast majority of locals dont knock doors thus leaving many ass out years down the road. Ive heard so many times that we low bid. All good storm companies use the same estimating soft wear that all the major insurance companies use. We fight for every dollar through supplements and are the reason that the pricing three months in is $20 more per SQ. If you are still on a high horse allot of stormers travel and only work with locals. The common problem with this is that it usually takes much longer for your jobs to get built. Storm chasing is extremely profitable (70-150k in 6-9 months if you master your craft) Make sure the company lets you see your job files (called open file system) Make sure there is not much cap time (how long it takes you to get paid after turning in a check) Make sure you actually work the storm (most rooks get a few commissions checks and slack off) Good luck to you sir.

By the way if you are interested a monster storm just hit out side of denver on the 7th. We are working on a local set and should be fully operational by the 19th. Our guys have been making 15-25% of the contract. Denver is at 300/Sq for 3-tab and you should get around 1,200-3,000+ per job. PM me if you are looking to go to the “Dark Side” lol

I would love to WORK storm damaged area,Preferably Indy,or Ohio area.I am a professional roofer,and have only been called back to 3 jobs in the past 22 yrs,and all 3 were nothing to do with roof…
I have been called to work in 4 states,and all those people have my #,and no calls .I offer a lifetime workmanship warranty,and when I install a roof,I am sure that when I am done they will never have a problem.
I re-nail every deck after all paper, loose nails have been removed,and every shingle is nailed on the line, and feel that this is the key to a successful,trouble free roof install…I have replaced soooo many roofs that are only 1-5 yrs old,and it is always the same thing,Sheathing buckling,loose nails poking through the new shingles,or just shingles falling off from high nailing…
If any of you would like to talk further on this please call me at (570)895-4180,and I will be happy to call you back on my dime…

I have been contacted more than once by storm chasers who want to rent my license number and good name.

Last year was told by a female adjuster that I was, worse than a storm chaser! Took great offense to her statement and said I was sorry the insured has hail damage and wished that they didn’t have any damage at all.

The salesmen working insurance claims can make more money than the roofers. In my area the storm chasers or locals who hire Mexicans pay around $55 per square on and off. Most insurnace companies here pay labor $200+ per square.

In 06 I subbed from a large local insurance restoration company. They take a 20% cut from what Xactimate pays which is way better than $55 per square labor! They don’t go door to door but rather get all there leads from the insurance companies.

A friend of mine is a manager for another large insurance restoration company in MN and they sub to one roofing contractor who doesn’t advertise. The owner is in his mid 30’s and a multi-millionair.

Last year my wife had a customer at her bar ask to see the weather station. Curiosity got the better of her and asked what he did for a living. His answer was, “I’m a storm chaser”. Being polite to the situtation my wife asked if he laid shingles. He laughed and simply said, “I got 150 Mexicans for that”. Did some roofs next to ones this company did and they use primarily Landmark and there quality seemed good. As far as I know they are still in town as I see the owner and salesman from time to time.

The funniest thing is the contractors who advertise they have been in business for over 20 years but yet there license number is only a year or two old.

tlok, it would be nice to be young again. i used to have a 6pack, now i got a keg!

excuse me sir, but … (and i say this with all due respect)

whomever told you this, is a liar.

and you spreading this false information makes you just as bad.

I don’t think he is lying with that statement.

It is what is most commonly perceived and used as leverage against many home owners, from what I hear.

What is your information and please refer to policy or sources, about how long a home owner has to:

A. Submit the claim for hail damage?

or

B. Follow through and have the actual repair or replacement work done?

Ed

once you file a claim, the specific policy of the insurance company can state how long you have to make the needed repairs in order to get the recoverable depreciation, and or reprice to local current market prices.

however, if there has been no claim filed, ive had hundreds of customers file claims, and get paid on 2 and 3 year old storm damages.

all you need is a date of the storm, and to have coverage in that time frame.

Although I agree completely with what you are saying, if they had coverage with the company they are making a claim with currently and previously, I can’t recall how many times an adjuster has stated that the hail damage is more than One Year old and in rare CAT cases, 2 years from the date of incident.

How do you defeat this supposed legitimate adjuster objection for processing and validating the claim, even if it IS over one year old?

Ed

ive only had one adjuster refuse a claim based on age, and the only traceable storm was over 7 years back. last year a customer called us, we checked out the roof… more than 10 hits per sq on every slope. but the last hail storm that was reported in the area was from 2001, and they denied the claim.

before last april’s storm here, we were exclusively working a storm that was over 2 years old, and never once had an adjuster fight me over it.