Starting new roofing business

happy to find this site. been roofing now for 15yrs and now would like to start my own co. i hope there would be an old pro out there that would share his advice on advertising and getting the phone to ring and selling the roof job. thank you

Well im a salesman and have had to do the advertising and sales. Depending on what your willing to do i can help. This is a hard time of year to start a roofing business. Email me and i can with you and discuss ways to help your business. Leave me your phone number so i can call you and make it a bit easier.

gtp always willing to help thats great and admirable. i hope everyone appreciates it Thanks Frank.

no they dont im sure of it.

This is not a direct answer to your question but it may help. Ive been roofing with this company from the the day it started up and watched it grow to the size it is today . The company started out with one main crew with about four highly skilled roofers including my self and two labourers. at first we were doing re roofs from other contractors and while doing that did all the legal stuff set up accounts with suppliers. so when it was time to find our own contracts we had everything in line to go. We even loaded the houses are selves becuase the suppliers coudnt keep up with there current demands. we loaded the bundles in a hourse trailer which we borrowed from a friend. I live in a Calgary Canada which at this current time is expanding at a rate that the bigger roofing companys which have an average of about 15 to 20 crews cant keep up with the demand. So many of the are starting not even doing re roofs enymore. So it was very easy to get the reroof contracts off from the bigger compans cause they were to concerned with the new roofs. The contracts we got form the bigger roofing companys were only the rush jobs so had to be done right away so most time they were giving us the contracts straight out just to keep there current new contracts from spoiling. We did alot of reroofs that way and worked are way up. Always paying are roofers top doller ang getting new roofers. we bought the tools trucks everthing they needed. Eventually the head owner which knows nothing about roofing personally talked to a major home builder which only did sub million dollar homes and told him that his company could do a couple houses for them free of charge just to show them are crews capabilitys. we did the houses and got paid from there current roofing company which was I think was SKYLINE ROOFING and when they paid us were were suprised about how much the were paying there roofers. It was only half of what we were paying ours. After doing the new houses at a better rate than skiline they eventually gave us our own contracts. Now we have about 500 contracts from companys and home builders such as JAYMAN, BAYWEST, CARDEL and some smaller builders. So all in all we never did eny advertising at all.
Personally i dont think you should spend your money in advertising. I would spend it in equipment so you can keep up with the companys that are allready established and on good roofers.

thats not very good advice if the roofer is not in a market that has alot of new construction. i live in a market with almost no new construction, and even if there was i dont think they pay squat so i wouldnt do it anyway.

[quote=“marshall exteriors”]

thats not very good advice if the roofer is not in a market that has alot of new construction. i live in a market with almost no new construction, and even if there was i dont think they pay squat so i wouldnt do it anyway.[/quote]

Well I live in Calgary Canada the industry here is freaking awsome.
Here re roofers are paid good. I used to do reroofs but I realized its shit work compared to new roofs. Here new roofs pay much higher than reroofs.

To be honest i have never heard of such a thing and i have been in the business for over 14 years. There is no way a new roof would cost more than a tear off. There twice the work in tear offs.

That may be true. The time it takes me to put on a new roof compared to a re roof. There is no comparison. It takes about 3 or 4 days to do 2 new roofs that make about 3500. a re roof takes about the same amount of time but only one house. which if its big will make you about 3000 after all the cost of bins metal shingles. papper ice and water shield.

Im sad to say here in the states there is not a new roof that will be more than a tear off that are the same size. It can not happen. You are correct the overhead is lower. You will need less guys. But have have done some large tear offs with the profit in the 10k range and 3 days of work. Normally its in the 2k range for a days work where im at. And that is just one crew. New con here pays so little its not worth even chatting about. I sugeest you be careful on what you say around here, it seems that you dont grasp the whole picture and wont listen to anyone but yourself. If you dont want to stop bragging you will just look a fool and no one will take you seriously. Its up to you. And to me its not being lazy it is just foolish. Theres my 2 cents since you put me in the spotlight.

Hi,

Roof buster can make more money in 4 days doing new roofs.

He is not talking about the total cost of the roof. You’s are using the same words, but they mean different things to each of you.

You’s are talking about two completly different things.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Roof buster can make more money in 4 days doing new roofs.

He is not talking about the total cost of the roof. You’s are using the same words, but they mean different things to each of you.

You’s are talking about two completly different things.[/quote]

Exactly. When I do A new roof I dont buy the paper the coils or anything. I just put the roof on and thats that. The industrial size bin if for the all the trades people to use. Like I said I dont pay for nothing.

We have 2 sets of advanced product line which are used to produce spun bonded nonwoven fabric, and the gsm is from 10g to 200g! And each year, we produce more than2000 tons nonwoven fabric!
And also, We have 3 sets of advanced glue coating product line and film laminating product line, which are used for coating, specialize in producing waterproof materials and heat insulation materials!
Our products include fiberglass coated with aluminum foil and nonwoven fabric, sponge coated with film, SMS, SBS , PE woven fabric coated with film, vapor barrier, waterproof and breathable PE film coated with nonwoven fabric, aluminum foil coated with EPE foam and even special products, etc. The products weight is from 30g to 600g per square meter. The characteristic of the products: good tearing strength, waterproof, good breathability , soft handle, heat insulation and the colors are subject to customers. Each year, we manufacture more than 4000T products, and our products are widely used in industry, agriculture ,construction(housewrap and underlayment and vapor barrier) ,medical sanitation(disposable medical bed sheet, surgery clothes, which certified by FDA) ,commodity ,tour ,etc. And they are exported to many countries,such as New Zealand, Australia , Ukraine, Italy( Freudenberg Poletex Group, which is one of our partners with more than 100years history, and stands in the 500 largest company of the world),UK, Greece and so on!
We have stood the leading place in the domestic same line with abundant in strength, broad in scale, advanced technology, plentiful product, excellent quality. And our company has been certified to the highest quality assurance standard of ISO9001 and , and now is in the process of being certified to the assurance of CE.
Sticking to the policy of customer first, quality first, reputation first, we will strive to content your requirements. We trust we can provide you the products you need in good quality and best service and competitive price! Welcome you to visit our company and trade with us.

Width: 100cm, 150cm

Length: 25m-50m-100m

Grammage (g/m2): 80-400

Water-vapor Permeability g/m2, d: SeriesI>3000, Series II: around 2500 Series III: around 1000

Hydrostatic head (pa): >3000

Tensile Strength (N): 105-350(CD) 65-250(MD)
Elongation (N): 68-150(CD) 72-150(MD)