Starting fresh -- any suggestions?

So I’m graduating college in June and I’m probably going to be going into the family roofing business. I’ll be the third generation to do so, but the company went out of business last year and has now been restarted. We’re in the San Francisco bay area and we do commercial re-roofing and repairs. It went from 8 million a year in sales and about 150 employees to about 600K in sales in the last six months since we’ve opened and less than 10 employees. The great thing is there’s a fresh slate and a lot of guys who have been through up and down :slight_smile:

My question is this: any guys in this side (commercial/west coast) of the business that have any suggestions on marketing/structuring the company going forward?

Selling is what we’ve always been good at. We also do what we say we’re going to do, which is why we’ve been able to capitalize on past relationships to get going again pretty quick. What I’ve got going marketing wise, other than word of mouth, is direct mail after storms and daily cold calling offering “free roof tune ups w/ 1 hour of free repairs” (gets us on roofs). We’re also launching a google adwords campaign w/ our website next month which should hopefully generate some leads. Property managers and owners of multiple properties is who we’re really shooting for. It’s a pretty select demographic which means I have to go for a more targeted approach in my marketing. Right now we use salesforce CRM and have a database of a little over 1000 qualified guys we’re working daily. All documentation for any job/deal in the making (cad drawings, digital pictures, proposals, contracts, etc.) are all stored online through a package called basecamp that’s worked out because it’s pretty simple. That way we never lose anything or waste our time looking. We’re looking at purchasing more lists/finding better ways to do research. In the past we’ve outsourced our lead generation to other companies, but I see that as something that could be done in-house cheaper and better. Kind of long winded, I know, but any thoughts?

You are better off getting and sharing advice with companies that are not in your area. Why would your immediate competitors want to tell you (there competitor) how they are getting their business? There are companies and groups you can join that do same trade consulting from company to company. There is usually some type of non-compete clause being you will consult and be consulted by a contractor who isn’t in your target market area.

PROOF Management was originally founded by one successful businessman to help fellow businesspeople achieve similar success. Since then, PROOF Management has developed a number of services, including seminars, convention presentations, consulting, and networks of small business owners, all the while remaining true to that original fundamental vision – to help contracting professionals grow their businesses and achieve real success including making sure they make time to enjoy their life along the way, not just be a workaholic. Current President, Monroe Porter, has been with PROOF Management since 1976. Starting at age 23 and working his way through the company, Monroe has developed into one of the construction industry’s premier facilitators and speakers.

"The PROOF philosophy is built on a foundation of result-oriented solutions."
The PROOF philosophy is built on a foundation of result-oriented solutions. Our problem solving is both time–tested and innovative – a goal we accomplish by applying our years of extensive experience to understand the unique qualities of how you do business. “Results, not Theoriesâ€Â

150 employees to generate over 8 milion in sales?
What is the management structure (overhead) compared to the craft people. (installers)

[quote=“njroofmanager”]PROOF Management was originally founded by one successful businessman to help fellow businesspeople achieve similar success. Since then, PROOF Management has developed a number of services, including seminars, convention presentations, consulting, and networks of small business owners, all the while remaining true to that original fundamental vision – to help contracting professionals grow their businesses and achieve real success including making sure they make time to enjoy their life along the way, not just be a workaholic. Current President, Monroe Porter, has been with PROOF Management since 1976. Starting at age 23 and working his way through the company, Monroe has developed into one of the construction industry’s premier facilitators and speakers.

"The PROOF philosophy is built on a foundation of result-oriented solutions."
The PROOF philosophy is built on a foundation of result-oriented solutions. Our problem solving is both time–tested and innovative – a goal we accomplish by applying our years of extensive experience to understand the unique qualities of how you do business. “Results, not Theoriesâ€Â[/quote]

go to the web site proofman.com/

davebs, 8 million in sales to 600k is a huge downfall. When did the business start to spiral out of control and how long did it take to go from 8 mil to 6ook?