Standing seam roofing

Is there any classes to take to learn how to install standing seam roofing? I get about 3-5 calls a month for standing seam bids. I hate to lose money. I would like for me and my crew learn how to install.

we just installed a standing seam roof on a motel it is pretty simple. I had never done one before but my old boss helped me . we had the type that snaps together and you don’t have to go down clamping it shut.you just have little clips that attach to your metal. once you have it in place the you fasten the clips to the roof deck,and then snap your next piece on top of the other. we placed our clips every 2 feet

to reece roofing:

I can see that you never installed on :slight_smile: It is a very good practice to place clips every 12 inches… have you ever seen ENTIRE roof blown off?.. How about a metal roof blown off ??? Mind you that metal roofs cost 3 times that of shingles… We just did a roof on the IHOP in Hyannis, MA, where winds are very strong. Well their metal roof was blown off because original roofer put 3 nails per panel instead of minimum 5.
Here is the result:

You see those tarps? They cover about 16 square of flown-off metal roof…

This was not fun with 20 degrees weather and brutal winds.

Believe me, is NOT easy to install. You just got an easy straight gable roof, because if it was not straight gable, you’d be here asking questions of how to do it. Have you ever done a sky-light in a standing seam? Try it.

To Falls Roofer: Do not listen to Reece. Metal is not easy. If you mess up, the liability is huge! So if you do it, do it right. Learn it well.
Find a supplier in your area. Some contractors have a a roll-forming machine and they can make it for you on the job site. But for training, you need to contact companies manufacture standing seam. Go to http://www.metalroofing.com, there you’ll find a list of standing seam manufacturers. Contact them.

Good luck.

There is more than one type of “standing seam”. To many people it means the pre-fab metal panels. To me it means a hand crafted (copper)“standing seam” roof. If you meant the first then there are people like LA who can answer your questions better than I as metal roofs are their forte. If you want to learn copper work then do a google search for a book called “Copper and Common Sense”. It’s worth every penny. Best copper fabrication book out there by a long shot.

Lametalroofs Thank you for your help. I have never did standing seam before. so I would not tray to install it with out some help from some one like you that can do it. That is way I like to learn how to install it the right way. thank you

Thank’s Tar Monkey I will look for that book tonight. copper roofing is one of the standing seam that I like to learn. I think there is good money in copper roofing. But I would like to learn every thing I can about roofing. I have been doing residential roofing for 15 years. I would like to learn more than residential roofing. Not to say I don’t like it. Because I love roofing. I just would like for my business to grow. Thank you all for your help.

LA,
i hope they gave you breakfast!

Marshall,
yes, they did, but we had to pay for it… I did not mind, as they supplied us with hot coffee, which was great and saved alot of trips to DD

Considering the good money to be made on metal roofing, I’d say they could have charged you 5x for your meals & you’d still be well ahead of the game.

I’ve actually found a guy here who does all sorts of metal work - is a solo flyer - & I’m going to learn Snap Lock from him (no clips). From what I’ve seen so far, there’s not a lot of panel work that’s required onsite other than a ‘double lock’ for the eave edge where it ties into the fascia.

I just did a quote on about 19 squares worth over two buildings & he’s in for $ 900.00 + parts; I’m going in low on my end because I want to learn the work. This guy supposedly has about 30 years of metal work behind him.

Is that a roofing truck that was made by a foriegn company?

I just finished a 52sq standing seam residential job. All I can say is bid them high and be prepared for extra little expenses that you don’t anticipate.

The job I finished was 12/12 on the main section of the house with a huge wrap around porch. The type of metal that I used was manufactored by a company called MetalSales…here is some info:

arcat.com/arcatcos/cos34/arc34158.html

The best thing to do is to take your time and do everything according to the specs. The kind we used had screws that were hidden by the next panel…the panels snapped together, but were also screwed down.

The job turned out beautiful, and I bid it at $550 a square.

The roofing company I first started out with had a 67 year old union sheet-metal man with a handle-bar mustache, but man was he good. We did a few copper roofs including a batten system on the 39-story 3rd (it could be 1st, I can’t remember) National Bank in downtown Nashville, TN. We installed the 10’ long shop fabricated roof panels between 2 x 4’s that were capped with 3.5 inch wide copper battens. I think the coolest roof I worked on was one using blue stainless steel in Nashville. Or maybe the zinc roofs I inspected at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in D.C.

Anyway, the point being, I never got to put on one of those prefabricated roof panel systems. I’ve seen a lot of them go down, but I always put down shop fabricated panels when I was roofing. We bought sheet metal and made all our own copings, counterflashings, roof panels, etc. I was a roofing foreman which meant that I spent rain days helping the sheet-metal crew break metal. All of our foremen installed their own copings and counterflashings, and left the more difficult jobs to the sheet-metal crew. We were also able to help out on jobs like the bank building in Nashville.

Seems like a great book.
Thanx Tar Monkey

How can you bid one of these at 550 a square and still make money?

Even a snaplock system.

I think the 24ga panels cost 300 per square, add for fasteners, underlayment, ridge metal, drip and rake edge, and the cost for labor…

The going rate in Ohio for this type of system is 1K per square for retro…plus the needed tools for cutting/crimping…

I have talked to installers and most want 200 per square to install a pre-fabbed standing seam roof.

Just curious!

im gettin snap lock from gulfside supply
(888-393-0335 ask for ray) for around 150 a sq.
hell he just sold me 60 sq of 22 gauge pbr panels for
120 a sq.
god knows how im gonna lay 32 ft, 140 lb panels.

Don’t forget to either preheat all panels and the roof deck to 190 degrees before cleating them. Or, you could leave a bit of space between the cleats and the panels. Whichever is easier for you.
rooferscoffeeshop.com/show_a … =6805&s=13 :slight_smile:

Hey, I’m Brian. I sell metal roofing. We used to be an install company until I learned you could make more money making the stuff. We manufacture 7 different standing seam profiles on site with one of three portable rollformers. We use 24 ga. with a kynar 500 finish. I have instruction videos on youtube ( type in armourmetals in the search querry ) If you land a job, and buy the materials from me, I’ll teach you how to put these roofs on fast and right. I can make piles of money doing them for $500 per sq. if we make a deal, I will bring 3 top installers and see to it you completely understand everything before we leave. My username is my email so feel free to get in touch with me. Or call 706-945-1294. My cost is $200 per sq. for all material needed: panels, trim,screws, clips, butyl, caulking and rivets. For $150 per sq. I’ll bring a top crew and do the job for you while you watch, learn and make money.

[quote=“metalroof02@aol.com”]

Hey, I’m Brian. I sell metal roofing. We used to be an install company until I learned you could make more money making the stuff. We manufacture 7 different standing seam profiles on site with one of three portable rollformers. We use 24 ga. with a kynar 500 finish. I have instruction videos on youtube ( type in armourmetals in the search querry ) If you land a job, and buy the materials from me, I’ll teach you how to put these roofs on fast and right. I can make piles of money doing them for $500 per sq. if we make a deal, I will bring 3 top installers and see to it you completely understand everything before we leave. My username is my email so feel free to get in touch with me. Or call 706-945-1294. My cost is $200 per sq. for all material needed: panels, trim,screws, clips, butyl, caulking and rivets. For $150 per sq. I’ll bring a top crew and do the job for you while you watch, learn and make money.[/quote]

“bid em high”, the king is impressive and welcomed,
along with metroof02.
impressive indeed.

gweedo.

[quote=“gweedo”]“bid em high”, the king is impressive and welcomed,
along with metroof02.
impressive indeed.

gweedo.[/quote]

thanks, I think