Stacking Roofing Materials in Prep for Job

Well, finally my new roof is to be installed on Monday. Now, I have another question. Today, the Roofing Supply Company delivered the roofing material. Two guys – one putting the material on the conveyer belt and the other stacking them. Well, I heard the guy that was putting the packages on the conveyer belt yell to the other guy “why do you keep stacking them like that – they aren’t supposed to hang over the other side – everything should be on one side.” The “stacker” has placed all the packages over the ridge of the roof and none of the packages are flat (curled over the ridge). Now this material will sit here for until Monday. Is this going to affect the singles since they will not be lying flat when the packages are opened?

Only if it was winter time.

Don’t fret about it. It’s not a big deal and I would honestly tell you if it was.

Ed

Theres a trick to pallet stack them so they lie flat on the roof ridge but they should be ok.

If they stack them on the ridge it just means they gotta move them to rip the roof, as opposed to putting them all on one side so the side they are NOT on can be completed w/out moving moving bundles, economy of movement, tough to articulate, sorry, early…
No it won’t affect them if they are not layed flat.

I yell at my guys for stacking them that way. When cold it’s really bad because they can crack at the ridge. Like Ed mentioned it’s not so bad when warm but a curly shingle is a lot harder to work with than a straight shingle, more nails and time is needed to lay and fasten correctly.

See a lot of Mexicans load that way.

If they are Timberlines you should be ok as they seem a lot more flexible than some of the other laminate shingles.

They should always be stacked flat! It says right on the wrapper that if they are layed over the ridge that the laminates will stretch and a posible future de-lamination is possible, also that the bundles should not be layed down by the end or rolled to loosen the shingles from on another as this causes the same preliminary damage…POSSIBLY…They cover all aspects of handling and installation instructions to cover any claims from clowns that may be doing the job! That is also a part of a PROFESSIONAL doing the job, Loading the materials on the roof. I always load myself, and I always see the damaged bundles that the supplier tries to pass along to the consumer , ME anything from forklift damage to bundles that were tossed off the roof and ruturned by the last CLOWN…(now wrapped in shrink wrap)also the bundles on the bottom of the skid that are crushed into the skid from all the weight of the ones above. I always over order at least 2 square so that I can return the damaged ones, and have enough good shingles to complete the job! Some guys just order tight and hand pick the junk to use where they think it will be less noticable to the owner. I say this because of first hand experience of tearing off roofs that are only 1-5 yrs old and are failing from poor installation and poor handling…That is why I charge more than the locals here, cause my customers get SO MUCH MORE, than a new roof. I am proud of every roof I do cause I know what I put into it. Someone said that is how the Mexicans load roofs, and the fact is that they will be nowhere to be found when the roof fails! And the company that subbed them the job will send a clown out for 10.00 an hour with a tube of black jack to try to correct the mistake! I see that and here that from all my customers. That is an easy sale for a quility job… Quailty doesn’t cost it PAYS!

Agree that stacking flat is the way to go. In 2001, a company out of Houston, called Ideal roofing, stacked a 2 story on the ridge pole and the roof fell in. It is way too much weight to be putting on the ridge pole. Just FYI, they had to demo the whole building because it pushed the walls out.
I would highly rec, not doing it.