Square per. hour - How many can most put on?

I usually do 9 gajillion square in an hr. Unless I have to stop and argue w/ somebody about how fast I am. Then I do about 8.8 gajillion squares in an hr. Not as fast as my grandma, but heck she has TWO arms!!

Oh well every shingle is straight and I have NEVER driven a crooked nail w/ my Hitachi Speedster Super Modfied over the top Incredible Nail Gun

(Note that I never said I did not ever overdrive a nail or put them in the right place with the Hitachi)

20 sq for 1 guy all day should be easy on a ranch house 4 pitch unless its all cut up and stuff

[quote=“rooferjason”]

20 sq for 1 guy all day should be easy on a ranch house 4 pitch unless its all cut up and stuff[/quote]

I have done 22 sq in a day, but not every piece of roof is like that one. A 4/12, straight gable rancher is a dream roof, and nobody builds those around here anymore, those are all tear-offs nowadays.

+, that guy isn’t going to be 20 a day for 5 days a week, 365 a year. When I said 10 sq for 8 hours, that’s an average, not a maximum.

we generally do 1000 squares an hour unless its over a 12/12 pitch than we can only do 997 1/3 . We always roof top our own , hand nail , & this is of course with tearing off 2 layers & clean up .we only make 50 cents a square so this is what we need to do to survive . ohh & we is me & my little sister .

when i tear off the whole day and install shingle,back home trying to fall sleep,i still cant stop work.in my dream i go round dormers and chimneys and when i wake up,the roof is completed,and what surprises me is " no leak" : :wink:

All right roofers help me out. I have always wondered these questions about square per hour. I was on a roofing crew in Ohio from age 18-23 and then moved to SC and was looking for a roofing job. Could not get one when I said that I was just a roofer. They would ask how many square per hour do you lay. I would think as a youngster how in the hell can I know that when there are so many variables. What about cutting edges and the ridge cap? What about the question of using a nail gun or hammer? what about felt paper? (I never did find a roofing job in SC and now I am 30 yrs old) Well, today I busted my tail as hard as ever to do a little roof job and needed to get it done by a certain time. had to tear off shingles and felt and redo it all. I had to carry 4.5 square up the ladder myself no helper for the whole job, just me. 8 am to 3:30pm no breaks capped it off and all detail work…Is this a fast roofing pace?
I picked up right where I left off from that good old roofing crew that trained me! Back hurts though!

How much detail work can be involved in a 4.5sq roof lol?

Anyway, I know “roofers” that can barely do 4-5 sq a day. So I say you did alright, as long as you got paid for it lol.

Hand-nailing on straight runs with no cutting involved? About 3 per hour. Over an entire day? Maybe 2/hr. Can go faster but the quality suffers, mostly from missplaced nails. Still think hand nailing is better, because of the over/under drive issue. This opinion comes from 20yrs of tearing off other peoples work. :smiley:

[quote=“tmish969”]All right roofers help me out. I have always wondered these questions about square per hour. I was on a roofing crew in Ohio from age 18-23 and then moved to SC and was looking for a roofing job. Could not get one when I said that I was just a roofer. They would ask how many square per hour do you lay. I would think as a youngster how in the hell can I know that when there are so many variables. What about cutting edges and the ridge cap? What about the question of using a nail gun or hammer? what about felt paper? (I never did find a roofing job in SC and now I am 30 yrs old) Well, today I busted my tail as hard as ever to do a little roof job and needed to get it done by a certain time. had to tear off shingles and felt and redo it all. I had to carry 4.5 square up the ladder myself no helper for the whole job, just me. 8 am to 3:30pm no breaks capped it off and all detail work…Is this a fast roofing pace?
I picked up right where I left off from that good old roofing crew that trained me! Back hurts though![/quote]

Being fast isn’t the most important.You can see all kinds of fast on Youtube.LMAO,looking at the “Fast” guys on Youtube makes me appreciate being “Slow” by those posers on Youtube.If your watching their videos humor yourself and pause those videos,then start,pause,start,pause etc.Look at where the nails are placed.That’s funny.

If you worked your ass off,provided a quality installation,respected the customers property,and met your deadline that is what you should be concerned about.

I usually shingle sheds and outbuildings so their quite a bit smaller. When I work on a house (rarely these days), I’m happy if I can do 10 sq.

Ok here is the best I know Terry Odom installed 34 square and two bundles in 8 hours (hand driven six nails by the way) which included 40 ft of nail over ridgevent and 5 bundles of ridge house was pretty simple two sides with hips half way up on gable ends. He did have a labor scattering shingles for him all work was quality proper nail placement all lines popped

Do you realize that 34 sq in 8 hrs means that a shingle was laid and nailed every 13 sec continuously for the entire 8 hrs with no breaks?

This is for metrics, the numbers are even more impossible for standard size shingles.

Following tearoff, deck replacement, felt,and the loading of a walkAble roof. At 44 with a inexperienced feeder i was able to install 18 square in a 6 hour run. properly fastened. Boots and hvac stacks included. I never used feeder in my day what a great concept i think hell once the feeder catches on i believe the mid twentys could very well be possible daily if not surpassed. Time will tell
Ill be sure to video and post next time i get the itch to bang shingles with the crew.

2-4 square an hour is normal. Although I have done 32 in a day with a guy feeding me. I normally do most houses in a day

What happened to the hand nailers??? That’s right - old school? Watch out for them blow and go guys…lol.

BS - may be possible, but why?? how do you feel drivin’ by that roof every day?

Exactly… Sad what some folks will tell us. hahah Best I ever done was 4 Sq an hour or seen was 5 Sq an hour. But not all day long. I have done 15 to 25 Sq a day and still walk away.

If I have a guy feeding me or laying out shingles/cutting my books, I can lay 1 square every 7-8 mins. So 7.5 sq an hour, could push myself to 8 sq an hour. Thats on a walkable gable, not including caps, valley or working around chimneys/pipes.

You should tattoo a big capitol “S” on your chest.

Watched a buddy of mine do an 6sq gable in an hour 20 or so. Racked 3tab on a 5/12. Was running to the bundle stack. Definitly not something he could do steady.
My fat ass, im happy with a clean 2sq an hour.