Solar

SOLAR ON ROOFS- ANY INFO ON INSTALLING IT OR WHERE TO GET IT? PRICES? ENERGY SAVING INFO? REBATES FROM ENERGY COMPANYS? :slight_smile:

Are you talking about solar cells? We have a company in Michigan, called Energy Conversion Devices that is developing roofing material from solar cells. Their idea is to provide a residential roofing material that would not only perform the primary function of sheddding water, but also double as an energy-producing device. (It beats using good land for solar energy farms). A representative from the company came and talked to our group about this some time ago.

This stuff is not yet on the market.

You don’t tell us where you live & that makes a bit of a difference.

Here in the Central Texas area, we have @ least 8 different companies that provide solar electric (“photovoltaic” or “PV”) panel installations & a complete system.

From what I think I know (which ain’t much) there are THREE types of solar electric systems:

Grid, battery banking & a combo of those two. On the grid system, you are tied to the utilities system & create your own electricity. If you have any left over, it dumps electricity INTO the grid & your meter is now paying you for the electricity.

For battery banking, you’re OFF the grid & NOT connected to the utility. What you don’t use during the day, you store for your own use (i.e. overnight). With grid, your meter runs backwards most of the day & @ night, it runs ‘forward’ like it usually does.

For the combo, you sell to the grid AND bank for overnight usage.

Grid is lowest priced, banking is 2nd, combo is highest price.

Check with your local utility to see what they provide in the way of rebates; the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) some years ago required that all utilities provide some sort of a residential energy buying program, however I don’t know if it’s been fully phased in / required of all utilities yet.

Oh, & one last thing: another FERC requirement is that homeowner’s associations can’t do a blessed thing about it if you decide to put big honkin’ PV panels on your house, even if the street is to the South & it’s ugly. Not a thing. You don’t even have to ask for the assn’s permission.