Software

Whats the best and easiest estimating software, does anybody have favorite?

pen, paper & calculator!!

I agree with that marshall. Never used software, i liked writting things out in detail. The hand gets tired sometimes but i like it.

I do that already…still waitin for answers!

are you looking for estimating or just typing up estimates.

If you are looking for estimating i cant help, but for typing up estimates i just use microsoft word. I have a generic estimate form i made and i just fill in the blanks.

Appli-Cad for estimating and MarketSharp for Customer Follow Up contact until the sale is made. RenoWorks for visual rendering the potential completed job for the sales process.

That is, if price were not a consideration.

Also, a similar, but different measurement technology than EagleView for the actual measurement phase of the job. There are several out there that look enticing that I am in contact with and checking out, which I hope to be able to report on by Spring Time. By the way…EagleView just raised their one at a time measurement prices from 45.00 to 78.00

I thought that $ 45.00 each was too expensive.

Ed

I set up a spread sheet using microsoft excel,
I still take hand written measurements in the field, but once I am on the computer,I just plug in the required information and “BAM”…I have a cost sheet/ work order/ purchase order, and invoice all ready to print. I also use Microsoft access to develope a database that follows the lead from the initial contact until close out. using graphs show me a lot about what is going on as far as statistical stuff, but when you get right down to it…your looking for something that already seems like it was designed just for you…

as far as a package…Quickbooks Pro does a lot of back office stuff…once you get caught up and ahead of things…then it takes a very little time each day to keep up to date.

Hi,

We use Contracker.

Very nice people to deal with.

Lefty,

Tell us a little about the ContrackerEZ Software and what it does for you, plus how much it costs and if there are any yearly update fees.

Thanks,

Ed

we use Xactimate… but 95% or more of our customers are insurance claims, so it helps a lot.

Same here. $1,380 is a lot to spend per year but it’s worth it doing insurance work. $250 one time fee too.

$78 now for Eagleview? LOL!!!

[quote=“dougger222”]

Same here. $1,380 is a lot to spend per year but it’s worth it doing insurance work. $250 one time fee too.

$78 now for Eagleview? LOL!!![/quote]

Yeah, they are pricing the smaller guys out of consideration.

It was SUPPOSED to go down to less than half after they automated the process with software instead of them manually doing it.

Ed

[quote=“ed the roofer”]

$78 now for Eagleview? LOL!!!

Yeah, they are pricing the smaller guys out of consideration.

It was SUPPOSED to go down to less than half after they automated the process with software instead of them manually doing it.

Ed[/quote]

Didn’t they at first give you one free trial measurement? After a while they got so backed up they stopped doing it? If they can get $78 for measuring a roof from a PC good for them! I will keep walking off roofs and doing it the old fashion way. Last week had to measure one from the ground due to an ice storm and I didn’t like it. Counted every rake and eave tab twice, made my neck sore.

[quote=“dougger222”]

**Didn’t they at first give you one free trial measurement? **

After a while they got so backed up they stopped doing it? If they can get $78 for measuring a roof from a PC good for them! I will keep walking off roofs and doing it the old fashion way. Last week had to measure one from the ground due to an ice storm and I didn’t like it.

Counted every rake and eave tab twice, made my neck sore. [/quote]

The one free trial they did for me, wound up not being for the correct house, which was an old Queen Anne with a turret I had done several years prior, just to check and confirm their accuracy.

EagleView was about 3-4 blocks off with a similar style house, but only about half the size of the one I submitted.

I do that on occasion to double check my other estimator trainee is getting the tape measure out accurately on each job.

How do you keep your eyes from going ga-ga about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way up the slope.

Start over and brace for the tears without blinking, like I do?

Do you ever use binoculars for that.

I also use my digital camera and then magnify the slope on my monitor and it makes it very very easy to count every granule if need be.

Ed

when we cant get up there, we also just measure exposure, then count the tabs back in the nice warm office on the high res pictures. easy easy.

but we are so involved with insurance companies these days, the xactimate pays for itself many times over.

and we are a farmers triage contractor now too.

Roof Logic sells a great package that includes the ability to use satellite imaging to do a take off. On the commercial side there are some great programs, but very expensive.

If you haven’t tried it, get Google Earth Pro and down load houses into Google Sketch UP. This will do a rough take off.

[quote=“Agape”]when we cant get up there, we also just measure exposure, then count the tabs back in the nice warm office on the high res pictures. easy easy.

but we are so involved with insurance companies these days, the xactimate pays for itself many times over.

and we are a farmers triage contractor now too.[/quote]

Is that triage program getting you much work?