I live near Olympia, WA. Need a new roof soon before refi ok’d. Got 3 estimates and trying to make sense of what I should question and or request. House is smallish and originally built in 1926. Will be a total reroof with tear off of cedar shakes. No way I can afford cedar shakes or shingles. Install Pabco or Malarkey laminate asphalt shingles. Estimates are about 25 squares and 70 sheets 1/2" cdx plywood. Only 4 roof surfaces. Front gabled roof has one side with a curved slope with other one straight. It is about a 12/12 slope at my guess (estimates don’t say). Gabled roof ridge butts into main roof about 2-3 feet below main roof ridge. Main roof sides are larger area with medium slope of about 7/12 or 8/12. Hoping for break in weather to get job done. Estimates call for 3 day job. I expect weather to be in 40s or 50s during job with at least some light rain.
- Should I be concerned about proper application of seal on shingles?
- Should contractor tarp roof overnight?
- Est’s include ridge vent. Should there be ridge vents on both ridges?
- Est’s don’t include any kind of intake vents. No soffit vents on house. Do I need edge vents or some other kind of intake vents in my climate? I don’t think a lot of older homes have them in my area.
- Should I have valleys with metal, shingles weaved or overlaid with top shingle cut off in valley center?
- Should shingles be hand sealed with heat or asphault adhesive?
- Does three days sound too long for job?
Well that’s about all I the questions I’ve come across in my research. Sorry for such a long post.