Should We Use FRT (Fire Rated) Plywood for Decking?

Thbanks all for the answers to my previous posts. One final quesiton.

We will probably go with the modified system (4 layers).

I did have one question about decking that I would like to try to get an answer to.

We are doing COMPLETE tear out jobs - the entire tektum decking is being removed and replaced with plywood.

The TPO contractor doing work around here is using fire rated ply wood for the replacement decking. The modified guys are not.

I read that FRT plywood degrades over time faster (mentioned somewhere on this board).

A) Is it true that fire rated plywood deteriorates over time faster?

B) Is FRT plywood required for a TPO job? If so, we might want to do FRT plywood so that in the far future when we reroof again we can consider single membrane systems?

Bottom line, should we be asking for FRT Plywood, or is the standard plywood decking OK?

I found a report,its pretty extensive and it appears it is mostly used on multi-family dwellings such as apartments and motels,and does have a high rate of failure if moisture is present. fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr62.pdf

That was a great read.
Thx Bushhog.

[quote="-Axiom-"]That was a great read.
Thx Bushhog.[/quote]

I wasn’t expecting such a bad reveiw,but if water is present plywood wont last either.

Hi,

Fire rated plywood will most likely need to be replace everytime you replace the roof.

FRT PLYWOOD IS ONLY USED FOR FIREWALL AREAS,AND WILL DRY ROT VERY QUICKLY