Should my roof look like this at this stage of the roofing process? Worried

Should the plywood panels look like this? Concerned, but also ignorant.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8QLz8VMFR0ack90RVNNZ3BqX1E/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8QLz8VMFR0aek9XSHlwVVVLTzg/view?usp=sharing

I told the project manager that some of the pieces at the edges seemed to be ‘poofing up’ leaving and opening or gap, either in between the places plywood pieces meet, or at the edges of the roof.

He said, “The wood has been used to one environment and is now attached to another. With time it will warp and adjust.”

Voicing my concern about the ‘gaps’, he said, “The wood isn’t the part that seals, the paper that goes over is what creates the waterproof seal.”

Thoughts?

Is that new plywood or existing? From the pic it appears the plywood only nailed around the edges and not the center (but can’t tell for sure). I don’t think your “project manager” has a very good grasp of the roofing with that answer. Are you sure he isn’t just a salesman in disguise (who many times have very little knowledge of the actual roofing process)? From the pic it simply looks like the plywood needs renailed (simple fix for common problem).

It seems kind of odd that it would rise up like that and it should be dried in for the night.

It is new plywood. And yes, the ‘project manager’ appears to be doubling as salesman and ‘project manager.’ Even with my negligible knowledge about roofing, it does appear that a more thorough securing/nailing of the plywood would go a long way towards remedying this problem…I hope.

To be clear, what exactly do you mean by ‘dried in for the night?’ What would be required (at least for future reference) to ensure this happens? Thanks!

At the very least covered with a tarp.

Preferably covered with properly secured underlayment, YMMV.

It could be tack nailed with the intention of nailing it off and drying it in later.

It needs some venting also.

The other guys are trying to be nice. It shouldn’t look like that. The project manager who gave those answers is either a liar or a moron … or both. Hard to believe they left your roof open over night without covering it with underlayment. If that were my house, I’d tell them to leave the property and I’d find another roofer that hopefully knows what they’re doing.

The city inspector is going to be here tomorrow. How useful will he/she be if I point out these questions/issues? How much do they know, or will they tell me?

It looks like OSB sheeting to me.
And I honestly haven’t seen that sheeting react like that before.
I do believe the centers of the sheeting haven’t been nailed yet.
I’m stumped.
I hope this post gets updated and I learn more.

Authentic and Axiom, I am guessing this house is in Florida. There are some counties in Florida that won’t let you install underlayment till they inspect your deck (and they usually come at their own convenience, not yours) . It’s another one of Florida’s wonderful codes! But yes it would have been safer if they at least tarped it over night.

I have never seen wood look like that. Maybe they didn’t pound the old nails In before the new wood? You certainly have a large problem.

IR, I didn’t take that into account. However, that doesn’t explain the condition of the decking. And even if the forecast showed no rain, I would want to tarp it rather than leave it exposed.

Perhaps the guys didn’t have the proper nail gun/nails or something and they just tacked the ply down with the intention of finish nailing it the next day. That’s really the only thing I can come up with.

Did they allow proper spacing between the sheets of plywood to allow each sheet to expand and contract. It looks to me like there is no gap and the plywood is trying to expand. Because it can’t expand, it is pushing up in the center. They can resolve this by sawing an 1/8 gap between all vertical and horizontal joints.

How did everything turn out
Spartan?

I’m under the impression that wood is freshly installed Ridgeline, to early for expansion issues.

Hell no that’s not OK. Do not Roof that to you find out if it’s a problem with the plywood not being nailed down or what!!!

The roof has improper ventilation. go online and search for how many square feet of attic space and how much ventilation
you will need to supply that ventilation. I have seen a builder make this mistake. It took a while to find the problem.