Should a ridge vent run to the edge?

I am about to have a ridge vent put on my house and every house I see in my area does not have the ridge vent run to the edge of the roof - is this OK?

I think it would look better to have it go all the way across.

Yep! Just like this.
albertsroofing.com/Ridge%20Vent%20Detail.htm
http://www.albertsroofing.com/Ridge%20Vent%20Detail.htm

Run the ridgevent all the way,don`t cut slots all the way though.Keep cuts in a couple of feet or to the outside wall.

My link is in correctly, but won’t work. You’ll have to copy and paste it.

yes always run the ridge vent end to end. Otherwise it throughs off the ridge line makes the whole job look ridiculous.

Hi,

Run it the whole way. Do not cut the ridge all the way. Stay a foot away from the end.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Run it the whole way. Do not cut the ridge all the way. Stay a foot away from the end.[/quote]

agreed.

i hate it when ridge vents dont go all the way to the edge.

Although running the ridge vent all the way to the end will not provide any additional attic ventilation for the part overhanging the soffits, it just looks better.

Running it short just tells me that a roofer does not care about the final appearance and wanted to save a few measly bucks on the job. Running it even shorter tells me that they don’t know what they are doing.

The others are correct about not cutting the slot al the way though. Stay 12" back from the rake edge with the final slot cut.

Ed

In multi-family construction, we are required to stop it 4 feet from any firewalls.

What is a fire wall?

[quote=“ctech”]

What is a fire wall?[/quote]

a fire wall is a specially engineered walls between 2 ajoining structures or dwellings that has a higher fire rating or burn time than normal walls. if a garage is attached to the house it should have a fire wall. that is why sometimes you will see only part of a garage sheetrocked.

[quote=“marshall exteriors”]

What is a fire wall?

a fire wall is a specially engineered wall between 2 ajoining structures or dwellings that has a higher fire rating or burn time than normal walls. if a garage is attached to the house it should have a fire wall. that is why sometimes you will see only part of a garage sheetrocked.[/quote]

yes, yes, yes…I have been arguing this with a quality inspector for a (we build the shell, you finish it) contractor for years…
I guess I am not the only one.

[quote=“ctech”]I am about to have a ridge vent put on my house and every house I see in my area does not have the ridge vent run to the edge of the roof - is this OK?

I think it would look better to have it go all the way across.[/quote]

Either way will perform just fine. If you like that certian look, just tell your contractor. It’s not a big deal.

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Run it the whole way. Do not cut the ridge all the way. Stay a foot away from the end.[/quote]

Why stop 1 foot from the end? I asked my roofer and he said that it does not matter that all the new houses have it cut to the end? He also said that the it would be covered by a ridge cap anyway?

I am wondering if I should find a new roofer…

I agree with the roofbutcher. Either way is fine, pending on the look you like.
I personally think it looks better not run all the way to the end. TO each his own. I cant stand an open valley look and others swear by it.

[quote=“ctech”]

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

Why stop 1 foot from the end? I asked my roofer and he said that it does not matter that all the new houses have it cut to the end? He also said that the it would be covered by a ridge cap anyway?

I am wondering if I should find a new roofer…[/quote]

You stop 1’ from the end because that is usually the overhang.
Just tell your roofer that you want the vent run from end to end, without stopping short.
If you go with a different roofer because of this, make sure you tell him…

looks are important

We stop a 1’ from each end usually if we ridge to the end they stick up and it looks. Funny same with hips we stop 6" in or they stick up at least for me we always keep it uniform like say 3 caps and we start not really a foot another thing is sometimes when you goto the end of an older home the last 3" doesn’t have good nailing for us it bends up because we run edgers up the rakes for wind protection and it straightens gables that are usually not strung straight when built

i always put 3 pieces of cap on and then start my ridge vent one piece of cap back looks great.