Shops

any one else (that does only residential) have a decent shop?

we are going to break ground in a few weeks on a new shop and offices. Im looking for ideas on how you store your equipment (racks/ and other ingenius inventions you have come up with for stuff).

I made a few good addons to our warehouse. IN Feb 2007 our warehouse burnt down and I lost everything…everything!!! I built a new warehouse, and one of the things that I am happiest with is that I made 12 foot walls and the joists are also 12 foot high. I made racks that hang from the joists, so that I can back my truck up to the rack and unload my ladders, planks, etc, right off the truck ladder racks into the racks of the warehouse. Theres very little lifting involved, it is stored out of the way, it takes up zero floor space and nobody can hit their heads on anything.

I also put in a heated room for all of our caulks, glues, flashings, paints, etc. Another excellent idea!

[quote=“G-Tape”]I made a few good addons to our warehouse. IN Feb 2007 our warehouse burnt down and I lost everything…everything!!! I built a new warehouse, and one of the things that I am happiest with is that I made 12 foot walls and the joists are also 12 foot high. I made racks that hang from the joists, so that I can back my truck up to the rack and unload my ladders, planks, etc, right off the truck ladder racks into the racks of the warehouse. Theres very little lifting involved, it is stored out of the way, it takes up zero floor space and nobody can hit their heads on anything.

I also put in a heated room for all of our caulks, glues, flashings, paints, etc. Another excellent idea![/quote]

i plan on the warm “lock” room, can you post pics of the racks? i only want to do this once.

Moved from the hobby farm to the city and went from 4K sq ft of heated pole buildings to a tiny two car garage. It was nice being able to pull all three work trucks in the shop at once and do tire rotations and oil changes at the same time.

Plan to build a garage but with only an acre it’s limited by size. Have a storage locker and keep a bunch of stuff at my Dads who’s got a hobby farm.

One day may buy a piece of land in the country and put up a pole building.

Land around my house goes for $200K an acre.

[quote=“dougger222”]

Land around my house goes for $200K an acre.[/quote]

what, do you live in manhatten?

Besides the heated room, also build a locked fencen in corral area for the expensive power tools. Label them and keep them inventoried.

I thought I paind enogh for my tools the first time, but it really sucks when you open up a tool case and find that it is empty.
Screw Guns
Liesters hand welders
Hammer Drills
Diamond blade 4" grinders

Only one other guy should have access to the keys to that room and has to be accountable for the inventory, in and out.

Ed

actually my heated room is going to be the lock room.

As long as you already had that in mind, thats good.

Remember about the fire storage cabinets per fire code for gas cans.

Ed

I like having a loft on three walls. Below the loft are shelves that we can store iso board, vinyl sding, anything that is big and easily damaged. If you have a metal shop it’s nice having a drive thru garage door to pull into or back up to to load your metal without having to carry it very far. Helps minimize damage.
Also if the property permits it is very nice to have a drive thru door on each end of the building. Desginate a lane in the shop so you can pull in on one end and right out the other. Then your guys can drive trucks and trailers in the building to load and unload and drive out the other end. You can also the npull drop your trailer in the side lane and pull out the other end. This minimizes backing up. It is very helpful and saves time.